September 18, 2019, 06:26:14 AM

Author Topic: Say Hi, I'm new thread  (Read 246872 times)

Offline Mary C. Moore

Re: Say Hi, I'm new thread
« Reply #660 on: September 26, 2012, 11:18:37 PM »
Hi I'm new! :)

This forum is so large it is a little overwhelming. Hope I can keep up! I have to say the Narnia books are what hooked me into fantasy at a young age as well. Ever since I have been an avid reader. I was a science nerd in high school, so fantasy was my escape. Then I became a field biologist and had a lot of down time. That's when I started writing, and haven't looked back since. Now I'm a full time author and love it down to the bittersweet core.

I also review books if anyone is looking for a reviewer, connect with me via my website!
How to Tame a Unicorn: A conversation between the world-renowned journalist and naturalist, Mr. Edgar P. Higgins and the infamous unicorn tamer, Hehewuti.

Offline Autumn2May

• Word Mage
  • Administrator
  • Khaleesi
  • Does the noise in my head bother you?
    • View Profile
    • The Write Way To Type - Writing Blog
« Reply #661 on: September 30, 2012, 03:31:52 PM »
Hi I'm new! :)

This forum is so large it is a little overwhelming. Hope I can keep up! I have to say the Narnia books are what hooked me into fantasy at a young age as well. Ever since I have been an avid reader. I was a science nerd in high school, so fantasy was my escape. Then I became a field biologist and had a lot of down time. That's when I started writing, and haven't looked back since. Now I'm a full time author and love it down to the bittersweet core.

I also review books if anyone is looking for a reviewer, connect with me via my website!

Welcome to the site! Glad you found us and we hope you enjoy your stay. :)

Offline Ur-Quan

« Reply #662 on: September 30, 2012, 04:02:14 PM »
Let me give you a little bow and introduce myself too.

My online alias is Ur-Quan, which some of you will recognize. Some might do so because they've met me on the vast prairies of the interweb, but others might recognize the originating point of the nickname, which isn't original, but isn't common either ^^.

I dabble in some writing, I read quite a bit when I put my mind to it. I game both with keyboard/mouse and with pen&paper. I am a fan of mythology, Greek and Norse ones being my favourites. I am an European persona and I am a fan of all things fantastical in their nature. Unfortunately, I do not own a sword, even though I'd like to, though I own a pair of potion bottles and a chest.  :)

I use Steam, if anyone desires to contact me there, you may PM me freely. DotA2 buff, heh.

I listen to a lot of Metal and I usually prefer clear vocals as opposed to the mighty growl.

That's it, mostly, I'm not too complicated of a person when I don't want to be. If you've got any questions, inquiries, wishes or requests, I'm all ears.  :)

Offline Autumn2May

• Word Mage
  • Administrator
  • Khaleesi
  • Does the noise in my head bother you?
    • View Profile
    • The Write Way To Type - Writing Blog
« Reply #663 on: September 30, 2012, 04:04:13 PM »
Let me give you a little bow and introduce myself too.

My online alias is Ur-Quan, which some of you will recognize. Some might do so because they've met me on the vast prairies of the interweb, but others might recognize the originating point of the nickname, which isn't original, but isn't common either ^^.

I dabble in some writing, I read quite a bit when I put my mind to it. I game both with keyboard/mouse and with pen&paper. I am a fan of mythology, Greek and Norse ones being my favourites. I am an European persona and I am a fan of all things fantastical in their nature. Unfortunately, I do not own a sword, even though I'd like to, though I own a pair of potion bottles and a chest.  :)

I use Steam, if anyone desires to contact me there, you may PM me freely. DotA2 buff, heh.

I listen to a lot of Metal and I usually prefer clear vocals as opposed to the mighty growl.

That's it, mostly, I'm not too complicated of a person when I don't want to be. If you've got any questions, inquiries, wishes or requests, I'm all ears.  :)

Welcome! Sounds like you've come to the right place. Hope you enjoy your stay! :)

Offline warfitz45

« Reply #664 on: October 06, 2012, 03:41:05 AM »
I'm new here, but not to sf/f forums, specifically the sffworld.com which I've been reading for... a long time now.  I would post to its forums occasionally, but I tend to wait until I have something to say (or I think I can be clever which happens even less often).  I live in the United States and have done a good deal of writing - completing 2 novels that I've never quite been happy with and more than a few short stories.  Instead of Christmas cards, I give out short stories that fit on something the size of a card.  I was going to stop that this year (it's hard to work w/in such a theme for... 12+ short stories now).  I told some people.  They yelled at me so I guess I will do another one.

As a youth, my favorite book was Dragonlance and a character I remembered fondly was Raistlin.  Recently, I tried to re-read that classic Weis/Hickman work, and much like the Superfriends... I should've left it in my memories.  Anyway, I swerved from typical fantasy to comics in my teens and then did some indy work as a writer before being tied into fantasy again during DB Pros run to adapt fantasy novels into comics.  I was tagged to do a project or two, but each time something happened and it never panned out.  That was the bad.  The good?  I realized how much I enjoyed fantasy and began trying my hand at writing prose as opposed to comics.  It also allowed me to meet some neat people that I'll never forget.

I have a wife of 18 years, son who is nearly 12, 2 cats, and a chocolate lab that keeps me young. 

And that should about do it for the short form.  I'll try to be around.  Don't be a stranger either!

Offline Caroline Bott

« Reply #665 on: October 07, 2012, 02:25:06 PM »
Just joined.  Been meaning to for a while now, but life.....

Really amused by starting as "peasant".  I used to do living history and you start as a peasant there too.  If you don't know the answer when a member of the public asks a question then you can just say "ask the master (or other appropriate word)" and watch someone else cope.  :)

I really started reading science fiction and fantasy with Anne McCaffrey's Dragonsinger trilogy, then expanded outwards from there and since then have been reading - lots.

A few of the many authors I read include:
Lois McMaster Bujold, Barbara Hambly, Diane Duane, Tanya Huff, Julie Czerneda, Juliet McKenna, Sherri Tepper, John Barnes and Sharon Lee & Steve Miller (Liaden and others).

Offline Jian

• Kingkiller
  • Can't think of anything clever for this...
    • View Profile
    • Writer's Periodical
« Reply #666 on: October 07, 2012, 04:11:59 PM »

Really amused by starting as "peasant".  I used to do living history and you start as a peasant there too.  If you don't know the answer when a member of the public asks a question then you can just say "ask the master (or other appropriate word)" and watch someone else cope.  :)

I really started reading science fiction and fantasy with Anne McCaffrey's Dragonsinger trilogy, then expanded outwards from there and since then have been reading - lots.

Lois McMaster Bujold, Barbara Hambly, Diane Duane, Tanya Huff, Julie Czerneda, Juliet McKenna, Sherri Tepper, John Barnes and Sharon Lee & Steve Miller (Liaden and others).

Welcome. And no offense, but I have literally never heard of every single one of those authors. xD

I hope you enjoy your stay here.
Oh, I have a blog. http://dullboredom.wordpress.com/

Check it out, if you've got the time. Much appreciated.

Writer. Read my free, serialized story Radio Silence and vote to keep it free and serialized!

Offline Caroline Bott

« Reply #667 on: October 07, 2012, 06:36:31 PM »
Thanks for the welcome.

No offence taken.  :)

May not be the right place to ask, but who are you reading?  Fantasy being such a gloriously massive genre, I'm wondering if I'll have heard of them.  ;D

Offline Jian

• Kingkiller
    • View Profile
    • Writer's Periodical
« Reply #668 on: October 07, 2012, 06:42:03 PM »
Thanks for the welcome.

No offence taken.  :)

May not be the right place to ask, but who are you reading?  Fantasy being such a gloriously massive genre, I'm wondering if I'll have heard of them.  ;D

Brandon Sanderson, George R.R. Martin, Brent Weeks, Maria V. Snyder occasionally, Joe Abercrombie, and... Those are pretty much the authors I read regularly, though I do enjoy a PR book here and there (they're rather funny! Not Twilight ;D ), but yeah, those are my favorites.

Writer. Read my free, serialized story Radio Silence and vote to keep it free and serialized!

Offline Caroline Bott

« Reply #669 on: October 07, 2012, 07:55:08 PM »
PR - Paranormal Romance?

Heard of them all except Maria Snyder.

Have read Martin, Weeks and Abercrombie - just not in my favourites.  I thought George RR Martin's "Hedge Knight" - in an anthology years ago pretty amazing.  I enjoyed book 1 of Game of Thrones, but stopped after book 2 - too multi-threaded for me and my favourite character in book 1 (forgotten her name, younger daughter who was taught how to fence) didn't appear at all in book 2 that I recall.
Weeks and Abercrombie are impressive writers.  For my favourites I like characters that I want to meet again and both of them write gritty books and characters who are not having the best of lives (to say the least) so they stick in the mind very well, but I don't really want to travel over the path again.

And I should have said I also like (and re-read) Terry Pratchett and Jasper Fforde.  (How could I have forgotten them?)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #670 on: October 07, 2012, 11:21:50 PM »

Welcome Caroline. Unlike Jian, I've heard off ALL those authors, although I haven't read many of them. Only Bujold and Huff. I can't believe Jian has never heard of Bujold, she's won like 3 or 4 Best Novel Hugo's.
If you enjoyed The Hedge Knight you should also try to track down copies of The Sworn Sword and The Mystery Knight, which continue the story of Dunk and Egg.
You're also the only other person I've met here so far that likes Jasper Fforde, seriously brilliant and underrated author.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Fallen One

• Chrestomanci
  • At long last I crafted a decent profile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: October 07, 2012, 11:45:33 PM »

Welcome, mrs. Bott!

Joining the conversation, I haven't heard of any of the authors you mentioned, except Anne McCaffrey. Of those mentioned by Jian, I have only read Martin (while heard about the others), but I guess that's to be expected, I consider myself quite uncultured in fantasy matters.

If you could please go to the "Works to be critiqued" section and post your opinion or comments about the words there posted, it would be great for everyone involved! (I would say "Pick me, pick me!", but that would be childish :P)
Director and editor of Nerd Alert Magazine:
 https://www.facebook.com/NerdAlertMagazine

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #672 on: October 08, 2012, 12:08:54 AM »

Have read Martin, Weeks and Abercrombie - just not in my favourites.  I thought George RR Martin's "Hedge Knight" - in an anthology years ago pretty amazing.  I enjoyed book 1 of Game of Thrones, but stopped after book 2 - too multi-threaded for me and my favourite character in book 1 (forgotten her name, younger daughter who was taught how to fence) didn't appear at all in book 2 that I recall.

Caroline, just a comment on the bolded comment about A Song of Ice and Fire. That description sounds like Arya Stark, it doesn't fit any other PoV character. Arya is actually the ONLY PoV character to feature in all 5 of the books thus far. She only had small roles in A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons, but she was most definitely in them.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Jian

• Kingkiller
    • View Profile
    • Writer's Periodical
« Reply #673 on: October 08, 2012, 06:53:10 AM »
I mostly find out about authors from the "What are you currently reading" thread, and don't recall those authors. xD

I'll be sure to check them out, though. I'm currently trying to find a new book to read. Any suggestions on which book from which author should I start with?

I have heard of McCaffrey, btw. And yeah, Paranormal Romance. Depending on which you read, they're pretty enjoyable reads. Check out Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunter series if you wanna give 'em a try.

Arya was definitely featured in book 2. I remember because she was one of the three PoV's that I looked forward to when reading a Clash of Kings. Her, Jon, and Tyrion were my favorite characters among The Clash of Kings.

I really hated Cat Stark, though, the wife of Ned. Annoyed me to no end. ;D

Offline Cara

« Reply #674 on: October 08, 2012, 10:31:53 AM »
Hi, I'm new. I've followed the blog for a while, though.

I'm married, got two children who are almost grown up and a St Bernard boy, Georg that we adopted last Christmas. Georg was a lonely, sad and very sick little() boy when he arrived. Spending months getting him well again and trained, did not only improve Georg's health and mood, it did wonders for mine as well. Living by the coast of southern Norway, we enjoy the breathtakingly beautiful nature every day, going hiking in the woods, or for walks down to the sea. Watching the sea on a calm, sunny day is great, but watching it on stormy day is downright spectacular.

Why did I join? I love stories. I love reading them, listening to them and writing them. If the story is good, I enjoy it regardless of genre, but Fantasy and Sci Fi are my favorites.