September 17, 2019, 02:03:00 PM

Author Topic: Say Hi, I'm new thread  (Read 246773 times)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
Re: Say Hi, I'm new thread
« Reply #420 on: November 28, 2011, 10:25:04 PM »
I think to a certain extent I came here looking for new things to read and the forum has succeeded on that count, I never would have added Douglas Hulick's Among Thieves to my library if not for the recommendations and the selection of it as the December book of the month. 
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Autumn2May

• Word Mage
  • Administrator
  • Khaleesi
  • Does the noise in my head bother you?
    • View Profile
    • The Write Way To Type - Writing Blog
« Reply #421 on: November 29, 2011, 04:42:47 PM »
Hi all,

Like most people here I'm also new to the forum. Found FF throug a RT from @_TheVoyager_ I believe so keep up with the Twitter!
I like the reviews, the interviews and most importantly (for me) the writing tips since I plan to enter a writing competion and I would like to not make myself look like a fool!
I'm also looking for good books to read ;)

Glad you found us Amna!  Welcome to the group! :)

Offline Autumn2May

• Word Mage
  • Administrator
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: November 29, 2011, 04:43:24 PM »
I think to a certain extent I came here looking for new things to read and the forum has succeeded on that count, I never would have added Douglas Hulick's Among Thieves to my library if not for the recommendations and the selection of it as the December book of the month. 

Yeah, I've found this place is good for your to-read list and bad for your wallet. :)

Offline Michael Sullivan

« Reply #423 on: December 11, 2011, 02:18:34 PM »
Hello,
I just joined today and already have found a ton of new stuff and great posts - I of course added a contribution to the fund as I think this is a great forum.

Oh yeah...about me.  I'm Michael J. Sullivan author of The Riyria Revealations. For any writers out there who are interested in knowing about publishing - feel free to ask as I've been through it all...small press...self published...big-six.  There are pluses and minus to each and the market is oh so different than when I started (30 years ago) so feel free to send me a message or create a post.

Offline Overlord

« Reply #424 on: December 11, 2011, 02:57:05 PM »
Hello,
I just joined today and already have found a ton of new stuff and great posts - I of course added a contribution to the fund as I think this is a great forum.

Oh yeah...about me.  I'm Michael J. Sullivan author of The Riyria Revealations. For any writers out there who are interested in knowing about publishing - feel free to ask as I've been through it all...small press...self published...big-six.  There are pluses and minus to each and the market is oh so different than when I started (30 years ago) so feel free to send me a message or create a post.

Great to have you hear Michael and the fact you are so willing to offer advice is very, very exciting! Especially to people such as myself who are new to writing and still dreaming of one day getting something published :)
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline Michael Sullivan

« Reply #425 on: December 11, 2011, 03:04:42 PM »
Hello,

Great to have you hear Michael and the fact you are so willing to offer advice is very, very exciting! Especially to people such as myself who are new to writing and still dreaming of one day getting something published :)

It's a whole new world out there...I'm proof of that ;-) be sure to ank me anything anytime.

Offline LouMorgan

« Reply #426 on: December 11, 2011, 07:33:14 PM »
Aloha!

As you can see, I'm incredibly imaginative when it comes to user names. What with my name being Lou and all.  ;)

I've been lurking on here for a while, but have never quite managed to get round to actually signing up... until today!

If you're on Twitter, you might have run across me on there (guess what my user name is? Yep.) and I turn up at plenty of conventions. I've also written a little book about some angels called "Blood & Feathers" which Solaris are bringing out next summer. I'm still not entirely sure I haven't dreamt all that...

I'm a terrible procrastinator, so look forward to spending many, many hours talking about things other than those which I'm actually supposed to be doing :)

'What's the first thing you think of when I say "angel"?"
'I don't know... Guns?'

Offline Autumn2May

• Word Mage
  • Administrator
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: December 11, 2011, 08:39:42 PM »
Aloha!

As you can see, I'm incredibly imaginative when it comes to user names. What with my name being Lou and all.  ;)

I've been lurking on here for a while, but have never quite managed to get round to actually signing up... until today!

If you're on Twitter, you might have run across me on there (guess what my user name is? Yep.) and I turn up at plenty of conventions. I've also written a little book about some angels called "Blood & Feathers" which Solaris are bringing out next summer. I'm still not entirely sure I haven't dreamt all that...

I'm a terrible procrastinator, so look forward to spending many, many hours talking about things other than those which I'm actually supposed to be doing :)

Welcome Lou! :)  Glad you have now joined us officially. ;)  Hope you enjoy your stay!

Whitehare

« Reply #428 on: December 12, 2011, 12:42:09 AM »
Hi folks, I've finally cracked.  I've been following the Twitter feed for a while and reading some of the writing articles.  I've had a go at the writing challenge things a couple of times but not posted anything for them yet.  I also did NaNo this year with my first novel length story and am trying to beat it into some sort of shape. 

I mostly read fantasy, and  have done since I read the Narnia books as a nipper.  Most recently I've read the first Kushiel trilogy and I need to make time to reread the GRRM books but that's a pretty substantial time commitment!

Anyway, I'll have a wander round the site tomorrow and see what's what.

Offline Autumn2May

• Word Mage
  • Administrator
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: December 12, 2011, 01:43:49 AM »
Hi folks, I've finally cracked.  I've been following the Twitter feed for a while and reading some of the writing articles.  I've had a go at the writing challenge things a couple of times but not posted anything for them yet.  I also did NaNo this year with my first novel length story and am trying to beat it into some sort of shape. 

I mostly read fantasy, and  have done since I read the Narnia books as a nipper.  Most recently I've read the first Kushiel trilogy and I need to make time to reread the GRRM books but that's a pretty substantial time commitment!

Anyway, I'll have a wander round the site tomorrow and see what's what.

Welcome Whitehare!  Glad you stopped by!  Hope you'll consider entering the contest.  It's a lot of fun. :)

Whitehare

« Reply #430 on: December 12, 2011, 04:14:53 PM »
Thanks for the welcome. I'm new to this writing malarkey and still a bit awkward about posting stuff.  Everyone always seems so very much better than me!

Offline LouMorgan

« Reply #431 on: December 12, 2011, 04:59:28 PM »
It's OK, Whitehare. I'm a newbie too - we can stick together!  :)

Thanks for the welcome, Autumn2May. It's a fab forum - so much on here...
'What's the first thing you think of when I say "angel"?"
'I don't know... Guns?'

Whitehare

« Reply #432 on: December 12, 2011, 06:17:17 PM »
Oh heck, OK, there are real proper authors on here and everything! Definitely not posting anything now!  LOL.

Offline Autumn2May

• Word Mage
  • Administrator
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: December 12, 2011, 06:43:07 PM »
Oh heck, OK, there are real proper authors on here and everything! Definitely not posting anything now!  LOL.

lol Hey, if you're nervous you can try posting something in the critique section and see what people think first.  That's what I did. :)  And don't be intimidated by the 'proper authors' they're all really nice and helpful and some of them aren't really that proper. ;)

Offline Autumn2May

• Word Mage
  • Administrator
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: December 12, 2011, 06:43:44 PM »
It's OK, Whitehare. I'm a newbie too - we can stick together!  :)

Thanks for the welcome, Autumn2May. It's a fab forum - so much on here...

You're welcome!  And yeah, you can get lost in here for a while if you're not careful. :)