September 20, 2019, 11:55:33 PM

Author Topic: Say Hi, I'm new thread  (Read 247593 times)

Offline thedoctor

Re: Say Hi, I'm new thread
« Reply #90 on: January 17, 2011, 04:25:25 AM »

I'm a big fan of fantasy fiction in general and new British fantasy in specific, in fact I think we're entering into something of a mini Golden Age right now in this country where fantasy is concerned.

Hi Dan. Any books/authors in particular that you had in mind? I would love to pick up some new British fantasy stuff.
Twitter: @authorneil
Blog: http://neilandersonblog.wordpress.com/

Offline Overlord

« Reply #91 on: January 17, 2011, 05:59:03 AM »

I'm a big fan of fantasy fiction in general and new British fantasy in specific, in fact I think we're entering into something of a mini Golden Age right now in this country where fantasy is concerned.

Hi Dan. Any books/authors in particular that you had in mind? I would love to pick up some new British fantasy stuff.

Alan Campbell and Joe Abercrombie are the two biggest names with releases imminent... :) Adrian Tchaikovsky just released one too I believe
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline Sanna

« Reply #92 on: January 17, 2011, 09:24:10 PM »
Hi, I'm new thread.

See, I can follow instructions sometimes, despite what some might say.
I am also Sanna, or (in)Sanna(ty), as I was dubbed in another forum, or Sannakate, and I think I am known as such in whatever places know me.
I hail from Devon (UK, for those of you from other places)
I like reading, obviously fantasy, although I will happily read any genre (should I say that more quietly?). I also like writing and RPG's.
Fantasy interests me, as I like the other worldliness of it. I find this one a little tedious and drab at times.

Useless piece of information: I like grammar, and find text speak nearly indecipherable. Despite this, I love LOLcats.
Blog --> Short stories based in Tefr RPG. See the Work to be critiqued section for samples.

Offline Autumn2May

• Word Mage
  • Administrator
  • Khaleesi
  • Does the noise in my head bother you?
    • View Profile
    • The Write Way To Type - Writing Blog
« Reply #93 on: January 17, 2011, 09:32:03 PM »
Hi, I'm new thread.

See, I can follow instructions sometimes, despite what some might say.
I am also Sanna, or (in)Sanna(ty), as I was dubbed in another forum, or Sannakate, and I think I am known as such in whatever places know me.
I hail from Devon (UK, for those of you from other places)
I like reading, obviously fantasy, although I will happily read any genre (should I say that more quietly?). I also like writing and RPG's.
Fantasy interests me, as I like the other worldliness of it. I find this one a little tedious and drab at times.

Useless piece of information: I like grammar, and find text speak nearly indecipherable. Despite this, I love LOLcats.

You're not alone.  My husband uses real grammar in his texts.  It drives him nuts when I shorten things. :)  And I also love LOLcats. :)

Offline flinton

« Reply #94 on: January 17, 2011, 10:41:02 PM »
I really should have done this sooner!

Hi I'm Flinton and i'm addicted to fantasy.
whoa really glad to get that off my chest now wheres the coffee? its not just fantasy that im addicted its books in general in fact, the escape that you have when reading is one that i don't think can ever be replaced.

my spelling and grammar are terrible and for that i can only apologise and i cant even hide behind having English as a second language.

anyway i look forward to talking and undoubted arguing about how my opinion is quite clearly the correct one and yours utterly wrong!

Cheers

F

Bryndled1

« Reply #95 on: January 17, 2011, 10:54:15 PM »
anyway i look forward to talking and undoubted arguing about how my opinion is quite clearly the correct one and yours utterly wrong!

Cheers

F

<cliche insert here> We tend to base our opinion of anothers intelligence based on how closely their thoughts match our own.

So I look forward to seeing how smart you are.  ;D

Offline Autumn2May

• Word Mage
  • Administrator
  • Khaleesi
  • Does the noise in my head bother you?
    • View Profile
    • The Write Way To Type - Writing Blog
« Reply #96 on: January 17, 2011, 10:56:30 PM »

Cheers

F

<cliche insert here> We tend to base our opinion of anothers intelligence based on how closely their thoughts match our own.

So I look forward to seeing how smart you are.  ;D

Good quote Bryndled1!  ;D

Offline flinton

« Reply #97 on: January 17, 2011, 11:17:56 PM »
should i put the spade down now and run away?

We tend to base our opinion of another,s intelligence based on how closely their thoughts match our own.

although that does make alot of sense where did you find it? maybe i should start agreeing with my boss more often!

Offline ChristinaJL

« Reply #98 on: January 18, 2011, 08:50:03 AM »

Also Mark Charan Newton is good. 

Offline Libertine

« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2011, 02:57:42 AM »
Hi everyone,

I signed up a few days ago and have just been working through the posts and posting so only just found this one  ::)

So, I turned 40 on Christmas Day, have just switched careers, am about 10 chapters away from finishing my first novel (chapter one is on my website) with loads more planned and I'm also working on a non-fic book on biodiversity. Oh and I live in Hertfordshire, UK so if any UK people are interested in a social sometime I'd be up for that.

Someone mentioned writers conferences earlier, so I should mention that I'm one of the organisers of Get Writing 2011 on February 19th in Hertfordshire, it's one day, just £55 and would be of particular interest to fantasy writers because one of our guest speakers is John Jarrold, fantasy agent, plus Toby Frost (Space Captain Smith Trilogy) will be there signing books and giving a workshop. John is taking three minute pitches too but sadly they're all booked up but maybe next year... Anyway, if anyone is interested there are still a few places available at www.vwc.org.uk but don't leave it too long!

Someone else mentioned 'Jinny' horse stories - yup remember reading those around the time I was reading The Worst Witch! My heart really fell for fantasy though when I read Alan Garner's The Weirdstone of Brisingamen and The Moon of Gomrath and, of course, CS Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia. And on that subject, why, oh why, do the filmmakers always ignore The Magician's Nephew? How magical would that be on screen?

And finally, I found Fantasy Faction when they found me on twitter and followed me!

Looking forward to learning lots more about fantasy!
Libertine - Chapters One & Two available now on http://www.sandranorval.co.uk/2.html
Follow Libertine on twitter on @enterthetwixt or me on @sandranorval
Get Writing 2012 - Book now : http://www.vwc.org.uk/getwriting2012.php

Offline Ika Koeck

« Reply #100 on: January 24, 2011, 06:54:03 AM »
Hi everyone!

Thanks so much for the twitter add, Overlord!

My name is Ika, and I hail from Malaysia. I am an avid reader/writer of fantasy and have a short story published in a DAW anthology called Ages of Wonder. I have 2 completed, unpublished novels so far and am writing the third right now. I attended Worldcon last year in Australia and participated in several panels, including How to Get published in YA spec Fic, and Racism in Fantasy and SF. 

Fantasy Faction is a wonderful platform! I look forward participating in the discussions here  ;D

I maintain a blog at http://ikawrites.wordpress.com/ where you'll mostly find doodles of my daily mishaps. Just finished reading Mercedes Lackey's Joust and am waiting to get my hands on Abercrombie's The Heroes.

Cheers everyone,
Ika

Offline BrendanCarroll

« Reply #101 on: January 28, 2011, 07:21:34 PM »
Hi, I'm new.  I've been new for a couple of days now.  My newness started when I first came here.  I plan to remain new as long as possible and then I plan to become old. When I get old, I'll look back on my newness with a chuckle and say "Remember when I was new?"  :D

I'm an old author already and that is my greatest achievement.  ;)
I'm also a retired state employee:  Public Servant :D
I'm a failed teacher... too much violence (in the administration).  >:(
Assassin Chronicles ~The Red Cross of Gold Series
Available on Kindle at Amazon.com, Paperback at Amazon.com and also at Smashwords.com
http://tinyurl.com/Brendan-Carroll7

Offline Jatix

« Reply #102 on: January 31, 2011, 09:42:51 PM »
Greetings folks, I happen to be new as well.

Obviously a big fantasy fan but I read a lot of non-fiction science work as well. I intend to give actually writing a go soon, just as soon as I find some spare time and some inspiration.

Other than reading, you'll likely find me listening to folk metal, wasting time playing some RPG or another.
'Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.' - Carl Sagan

Offline JennyBeans

« Reply #103 on: February 02, 2011, 02:27:55 PM »
Greetings everyone. I'm Jenny. I just stumbled onto this forum completely by accident while out dancing around in the ice last night. How I discovered it while I was nowhere near my computer, I'll never know, but I'm glad I did.

I'm a fantasy author and reader. My torrid love affair with fantasy began when I started following fairy tales around like some kind of stalker as a child. It blossomed into a high school romance when I read the first three Dragonlance novels, and Fantasy and I have been walking around holding hands ever since.

Some of my favorites are Tolkien, Marion Zimmer Bradley and Juliet Marillier.

I also just published the first book in my fantasy series: Into the Green: The Goblin Market, on Amazon (U.S. and U.K.) and Smashwords.

Looking forward to getting to know you all.
The Goblin Market on Amazon UK,Amazon US and Smashwords

Offline Marsha A.Moore

• Seeker
  • Marsha A. Moore...the magic of romance
    • View Profile
    • Marsha A. Moore
« Reply #104 on: February 03, 2011, 10:02:59 PM »
I'm new here, although have been lurking a bit and like the enthusiasm. I'm eagerly looking forward to joining in on a book club discussion or so. I've subscribed to the associated Goodreads group. I'm looking forward to using this group to learn about works of fantasy which are new to me, and also gaining insight into others' opinions of those I do know well.

I'm a fantasy romance author. I live in Tampa, but put in my time for decades in NW Ohio with the harsh winters.

I usually write high more in the realm of high fantasy, but will work with paranormal using magical creatures other then vamps or shifters. My first book, Tears on a Tranquil Lake, just released Tuesday.

Just a bit about that~

Blurb:

What a surprise for a young woman, to find herself suddenly transformed into a mermaid.

Ciel’s first thought – track down the merman who changed her and make him reverse his magic.
Unable to find him, survival in her new world becomes paramount. She eagerly accepts help from a dashing pirate captain who takes a fancy to her, lavishing her with finery. When her merman does show up, he competes for her affection. One look into his eyes makes her life more complex -- he is her soul mate.

Which man will she choose – pirate captain or merman? Which life – human or mermaid? Caribbean adventures and dangers chase Ciel as she searches for decisions and the key to her happiness.

Warning: This book contains Haitian vodou, sultry wenches, foul-mouthed scalliwag pirates, overindulgence of fine Caribbean rum, and amorous encounters on deserted beaches.
Marsha A. Moore, fantasy author . . . the magic of romance
Tears on a Tranquil Lake, Sea Glass and Sand Memories  & Tortuga Treasure (1/2012) - MuseItUp Publishing
Seeking a Scribe: Enchanted Bookstore Legends One (Fall/2011)
http://MarshaAMoore.com
http://twitter.com/MarshaAMoore