September 18, 2019, 11:34:47 PM

Author Topic: Say Hi, I'm new thread  (Read 246968 times)

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
Re: Say Hi, I'm new thread
« Reply #390 on: October 23, 2011, 09:06:46 PM »
Heyho!
I'm Xiagan (@xiaiswriting) and I have to pay my respects to Overlord's tweeting abilities too. ;) I'm looking for a writing/reading fantasy forum for quite some time now and had a closer look into this one and a few others over the past months. This was the only one I repeatedly came back to because of @fantasyfaction's interesting tweets. Good job! :)

I live in Berlin, am thirty years old and write fantasy (YA, epic) for about 15 years now. I somehow spent my time in the indie gaming community and not in the indie writing community, though...
The only published works are academic stuff -yet, and a self-published short story collection (Fictional Times - A fabulous anthology of wondrous stories).
I have about 150k words in my drawer but haven't found a publisher for them yet.
At the moment I focus on short stories, inspired by Neil Gaiman's awesome collection 'Smoke and Mirrors'.

Last fantasy books I read were The Wise Man's Fear, Assassin's Apprentice, Towers of Midnight, the Secret of the immortal Nicholas Flamel: The Necromancer and Pratchett's Snuff.

I'm greatly anticipating the following books: A Memory of Light (R.Jordan/B.Sandersson), The Daylight Wars (P.V.Brett), The Kingkiller Chronicle III (P.Rothfuss), Mastiff (T.Pierce) and the Republic of Thieves + The Bastards and the knives: The Gentlemen Bastards -A prequel (S.Lynch).

See you in other topics and threads, I guess! If you have any questions, feel free to ask. :)

Good old times, eh?  :D
So, the Scavenger Hunt! We do something special for April (fools) every year and the brilliant idea I originally had... somehow vanished from my brain. ::) Hopefully I'll remember it for 2018. ;)
Anyway, this is 2017 and we're doing a Scavenger Hunt!

How?
You have to solve small riddles to find the location of the next hint. At the end you'll find this month's contest theme.

Please post the stories in the original April 2017 Scavenger Hunt topic.

I have no idea if the riddles are too hard or too easy and I don't know if you'll have more fun solving them together or alone.

If you've solved this way ahead of the others, please keep quiet and let the rest solve it on their time.
If you want to work together (or build teams - I have no idea how much this will take off), open an extra topic others can decide to read or not.

If you are absolutely not in the mood to participate in the hunt and want to have the theme now, write me a pm.

Questions?
Please ask them in the Scavenger Hunt Discussion topic.

First hint1
Depending on screen size is the first hint probably visible on your screen at the moment (not if you're on tapatalk, sorry).
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 10:32:10 PM by xiagan »
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Autumn2May

• Word Mage
  • Administrator
  • Khaleesi
  • Does the noise in my head bother you?
    • View Profile
    • The Write Way To Type - Writing Blog
« Reply #391 on: October 24, 2011, 01:33:58 AM »
Heyho!
I'm Xiagan (@xiaiswriting) and I have to pay my respects to Overlord's tweeting abilities too. ;) I'm looking for a writing/reading fantasy forum for quite some time now and had a closer look into this one and a few others over the past months. This was the only one I repeatedly came back to because of @fantasyfaction's interesting tweets. Good job! :)

I live in Berlin, am thirty years old and write fantasy (YA, epic) for about 15 years now. I somehow spent my time in the indie gaming community and not in the indie writing community, though...
The only published works are academic stuff -yet, and a self-published short story collection (Fictional Times - A fabulous anthology of wondrous stories).
I have about 150k words in my drawer but haven't found a publisher for them yet.
At the moment I focus on short stories, inspired by Neil Gaiman's awesome collection 'Smoke and Mirrors'.

Last fantasy books I read were The Wise Man's Fear, Assassin's Apprentice, Towers of Midnight, the Secret of the immortal Nicholas Flamel: The Necromancer and Pratchett's Snuff.

I'm greatly anticipating the following books: A Memory of Light (R.Jordan/B.Sandersson), The Daylight Wars (P.V.Brett), The Kingkiller Chronicle III (P.Rothfuss), Mastiff (T.Pierce) and the Republic of Thieves + The Bastards and the knives: The Gentlemen Bastards -A prequel (S.Lynch).

See you in other topics and threads, I guess! If you have any questions, feel free to ask. :)

Glad to have you Xiagan!  I'm eagerly waiting for Daylight War as well. :)  Did you see the reading from it that Peter Brett did at NY Comic Con?

Peter V. Brett reads from 'The Daylight War'

Very cool stuff. ;D  Hope you enjoy the site! :)

Online Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #392 on: October 25, 2011, 04:02:29 AM »
Hi, I'm Elfy. I'm from Australia. I've belonged to a number of forums over the years, I also have a blog, but don't want to mention it here until I know that people don't mind (other forums get quite snarky about this), I've been looking for one that is fun, active and easygoing. This one seems to fit the bill. So g'day and hope I'm here for a while.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Autumn2May

• Word Mage
  • Administrator
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: October 25, 2011, 04:37:01 AM »
Hi, I'm Elfy. I'm from Australia. I've belonged to a number of forums over the years, I also have a blog, but don't want to mention it here until I know that people don't mind (other forums get quite snarky about this), I've been looking for one that is fun, active and easygoing. This one seems to fit the bill. So g'day and hope I'm here for a while.

Welcome Elfy!  Glad to have you!  If you like, you can post a link to your blog in our blog thread. :)

http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/introductions/the-blog-thread/

Also, I believe there's an option in your profile to add your blog link to your signature if you like.  Hope you enjoy your stay on the site! :)

Online Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #394 on: October 25, 2011, 05:47:31 AM »
Thanks Autumn (cool nick), I've posted a link to my blog there and I'll do something with the profile when I get a chance. I like the place so far.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: October 25, 2011, 09:29:53 AM »
Thanks for linking me the video, Autumn2May! Now it's even harder to be patient. ;)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Davon

« Reply #396 on: October 26, 2011, 11:36:28 PM »
Hey I'm Davon :) living in south England. I've been a fantasy fan ever since I read LOTR then straight onto Sword of Truth series by Goodkind - I had a stint where I didn't read any and focussed on university reading lists, but couldn't forsake my true love forever! Currently reading the Revenge of the Dwarves by Markus Heitz, 3rd in series (German translated to English) - thoroughly recommended!

Also an aspiring writer, like so many, writing and reading regularly and trying to improve myself and my skills. I'm taking part in NaNoWriMo - my profile is http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/underscored - and I've written 3 draft length pieces so far, but only as practice so I can see where I need to improve and keep myself going.

Seems like it's a great and supportive community here, so I thought I'd try and get involved. I'm prone to being what forum people call a 'lurker' but I'll try my hardest to actually make posts haha  :)

Offline Jackie

« Reply #397 on: October 28, 2011, 03:26:09 PM »
Hi  :D
I'm Jackie and I live in Scotland. I've self-published two children's novels - one science fiction and one fantasy - and about to publish a YA urban fantasy. I've read fantasy and science fiction for many years and love everything to do with the genres!

Offline Autumn2May

• Word Mage
  • Administrator
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: October 28, 2011, 03:47:35 PM »
You're very welcome Elfy and xiagan! :)

Offline Autumn2May

• Word Mage
  • Administrator
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: October 28, 2011, 03:49:12 PM »
Hey I'm Davon :) living in south England. I've been a fantasy fan ever since I read LOTR then straight onto Sword of Truth series by Goodkind - I had a stint where I didn't read any and focussed on university reading lists, but couldn't forsake my true love forever! Currently reading the Revenge of the Dwarves by Markus Heitz, 3rd in series (German translated to English) - thoroughly recommended!

Also an aspiring writer, like so many, writing and reading regularly and trying to improve myself and my skills. I'm taking part in NaNoWriMo - my profile is http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/underscored - and I've written 3 draft length pieces so far, but only as practice so I can see where I need to improve and keep myself going.

Seems like it's a great and supportive community here, so I thought I'd try and get involved. I'm prone to being what forum people call a 'lurker' but I'll try my hardest to actually make posts haha  :)

Yay!  Another NaNoer!  Welcome to the site Davon! :)

Offline Autumn2May

• Word Mage
  • Administrator
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: October 28, 2011, 03:50:30 PM »
Hi  :D
I'm Jackie and I live in Scotland. I've self-published two children's novels - one science fiction and one fantasy - and about to publish a YA urban fantasy. I've read fantasy and science fiction for many years and love everything to do with the genres!

Welcome to the site Jackie!  Our YA section is steadily growing. :)  Great to have a budding author here to help it along. :)

Offline altany

« Reply #401 on: October 30, 2011, 12:37:32 PM »
Hi My Name is Altany,

I'm from Scotland and have enjoyed fantasy books since the days when there weren't many to choose from.

Like some horror too, occult thrillers work for me too.

Twitter brought me here by accident.

I am currently working on a occult / detective thriller story.

Have a draft fantasy novel that needs a bit of work (hiding in its drawer for a while).

Been scribbling for years!

Offline Autumn2May

• Word Mage
  • Administrator
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: October 31, 2011, 12:56:27 AM »
Hi My Name is Altany,

I'm from Scotland and have enjoyed fantasy books since the days when there weren't many to choose from.

Like some horror too, occult thrillers work for me too.

Twitter brought me here by accident.

I am currently working on a occult / detective thriller story.

Have a draft fantasy novel that needs a bit of work (hiding in its drawer for a while).

Been scribbling for years!

Welcome Altany!  Great to meet another fellow scribbler! :)  Hope you enjoy your stay! :)

Offline DDRRead

« Reply #403 on: October 31, 2011, 12:41:54 PM »
Hello. My name is Lee. As a kid I was always mad for myths and legends, Vikings, Battles, Knights in armour, King Arthur, etc. then when I was 8 (a long time ago now) I read the Hobbit and have been a fantasy fan ever since. I'm a writer too, part of my joining here is to connect with fantasy readers who might like my work, but I won't spam the forum about my work. At the moment I really enjoying reading some of the older pulp sword & sorcery writers like Jack Vance and Fritz Leiber and new writers like Scot Lynch and Patrick Rothfuss. I'm also a big fan of George RR Ma\rtin's Fire and Ice saga.

Offline Autumn2May

• Word Mage
  • Administrator
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: October 31, 2011, 01:14:25 PM »
Hello. My name is Lee. As a kid I was always mad for myths and legends, Vikings, Battles, Knights in armour, King Arthur, etc. then when I was 8 (a long time ago now) I read the Hobbit and have been a fantasy fan ever since. I'm a writer too, part of my joining here is to connect with fantasy readers who might like my work, but I won't spam the forum about my work. At the moment I really enjoying reading some of the older pulp sword & sorcery writers like Jack Vance and Fritz Leiber and new writers like Scot Lynch and Patrick Rothfuss. I'm also a big fan of George RR Ma\rtin's Fire and Ice saga.

Welcome Lee!  Glad you found us!  Sounds like you'll fit in well here. :)