September 18, 2019, 02:57:01 PM

Author Topic: Say Hi, I'm new thread  (Read 246909 times)

Offline Elisa Nuckle

Re: Say Hi, I'm new thread
« Reply #375 on: September 29, 2011, 08:18:50 PM »
Wow. You've lived in a lot of places! Sounds fun. :D

Offline Thyra

« Reply #376 on: September 29, 2011, 11:34:05 PM »
Wow. You've lived in a lot of places! Sounds fun. :D

It was/is. I`m curious and love traveling. Living in a foreign country satisfies both  ;D

Offline EatthePen

« Reply #377 on: October 03, 2011, 10:24:55 PM »
Halloo! I'm Rik (ignore my little nom de plume), and I've been following Fantasy Faction on Twitter for months without realising there was a website involved somewhere in the process...

I can be slow on the uptake sometimes >.>
How about a free short story? You like free stuff, don't you?
I Can See Clearly Now (episode 1 of The Second Realm): Rel can see any future except his own.

Offline Autumn2May

• Word Mage
  • Administrator
  • Khaleesi
  • Does the noise in my head bother you?
    • View Profile
    • The Write Way To Type - Writing Blog
« Reply #378 on: October 04, 2011, 04:42:36 AM »
Halloo! I'm Rik (ignore my little nom de plume), and I've been following Fantasy Faction on Twitter for months without realising there was a website involved somewhere in the process...

I can be slow on the uptake sometimes >.>

Welcome Rik!  No worries.  As long as you've found us now, that's all that matters. ;)

Offline Vincent Shaw

« Reply #379 on: October 06, 2011, 09:05:51 AM »
Hi everyone.

By the way of an introduction.
I am a forty something male living in Bognor Regis, on the South coast. I am primarily an artist and illustrator, but also a budding writer. I have written one novel so far, (which I hope is of a reasonable quality,) but I have a feeling it is probably not suitable for publication.

With regard to criticising any of my work, be it illustrative or written.  Please feel free to be brutally honest! It is the only way to learn, and improve your work.
My main areas of interest are the classics, especially the works of Dickens and Mervyn Peake. Also, I must admit that I haven't read very much in the way of contemporary fantasy writing, although  I am a complete steampunk nut.

Many thanks to Sandra Norval for pointing me in the direction of Fantasy Faction, and being a great pal at FantasyCon 2011. I'm also very much looking forward to the Get Writing seminar in February 2012.

For 'them-that's-interested'
http://www.shaw-morton.co.uk is where you will be able to see my illustrative work.

http://www.shaw-morton.co.uk is where you will be able to read my written work, although at the moment my blog is very much in it's infancy, and currently only has the first chapter of my novel posted.  It is called The Kiss, and is the first book of an high fantasy epic called Creations Song.

I can also be found on Twitter and Facebook

Any-hoo that's it, so bye for now.
Vincent Shaw-Morton
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 09:17:43 AM by Vincent Shaw-Morton »
'Writing from worlds that could have been, may have been, and might very well be!'

Offline squiggle

« Reply #380 on: October 10, 2011, 10:08:31 PM »
Hi all,

got lured in here by a few very decent articles on writing, as recommend by Bill King (writer dude) on twitter.

have been slaving away at a novel, at writing and mainly dreaming for a while. have had abit of an epiphany of late, when I realised I'd rather be a writer than what I do at the moment. I do love my job, but I am craving something different now.

im halfway through writing my first novel. its my own take on steampunk, with as many themes and inspirations and topic hurled in on top of it. i hope to have it finished by the spring and then I'm ridiculously optimistic about getting it published. im hoping some of you can help me with that!

reading wise, I have been knee deep in fantasy and sci fi since I read Lord of the Rings when I was too young. My favourite author is probably Richard Morgan, but I love Joe Abercrombie, Scott Lynch and many others.

currently reading Richard Morgan's latest, The Cold Commands.

im on twitter. i have a badly tended blog that lacks both direction and readers and I spend too much time at http://www.thebolthole.org where I moderate and talk about warhammer tie in fiction (some of it is actually pretty good)

anyway, Hi!
If my hearts the weapon, my minds the extra clip

Offline Autumn2May

• Word Mage
  • Administrator
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: October 10, 2011, 11:03:52 PM »
Welcome Vincent & squiggle!  Glad to see two new writers find our site!  Hope you enjoy your stay! :D

Offline Faith

« Reply #382 on: October 14, 2011, 07:29:48 PM »
Hello,

I am Faith. Living in the Netherlands

I have been following the blog for some time. You make great articles. The writing challenge caught my attention, that's the reason I am joining the forum.
Reading books is a favourite pastime of me, onfortunately not as much as in my teenage years when I devoured every book I could lay my hands on.
I also like to create stories, but getting those stories turned into the correct words and sentences is a different matter.
Persistence is the key there.

So, here I am.
If you want to know more, just ask. :)
"The road to nowhere is the same as the road to anywhere."

Offline Autumn2May

• Word Mage
  • Administrator
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: October 17, 2011, 12:27:10 AM »
Hello,

I am Faith. Living in the Netherlands

I have been following the blog for some time. You make great articles. The writing challenge caught my attention, that's the reason I am joining the forum.
Reading books is a favourite pastime of me, onfortunately not as much as in my teenage years when I devoured every book I could lay my hands on.
I also like to create stories, but getting those stories turned into the correct words and sentences is a different matter.
Persistence is the key there.

So, here I am.
If you want to know more, just ask. :)

Welcome Faith!  I'm glad you like our site and our writing challenge. :)  It's always fun to have more aspiring authors join our ranks. :)

Offline mistyicing

« Reply #384 on: October 20, 2011, 04:04:52 AM »
Hello Everyone,

Saw Fantasy-faction had followed me on Twitter, and decided to follow back on a whim.  Checked out the site and it looks pretty cool! I may post some book reviews (until I can think of a name for my own book review blog, which may take a while).

I've been a fan of fantasy and science fiction ever since I was a little girl.  I'm almost 30 now.  When did that happen?  I've also wanted to be a writer for a long, long time; however, my stories tend to have a habit of being abandoned.  A bad habit I'm trying to break this year by unofficially participating in Nanowrimo and HANDWRITING my novel!  No, I swear I`m not a crazy person.  I just find a notebook easier to write in compared to a computer.  And I'm not flying by the seat of my pants this year!  I have characters (at least 2) and the start of an actual outline! Ha ha! We'll see how how well this goes in November.

I also have a current ambition to become a freelance writer.  If there are any seasoned freelance writers out here on this message board, feel free to get in touch with me!  I`d love to talk about any advice you have or your experiences as a freelance writer.

What else can I say about myself?  I am a martial artist, currently a blue belt in Tae Kwon Do.  I'm looking forward to the day when I can wield nunchuks, break cement slabs with my bare hand, and learn Korean sword fighting!  I also have a fondness for chocolate, swing music, and comic books.  Oh, and I`m Canadian too.
Mistyicing

Offline DappleBellyJosh

« Reply #385 on: October 20, 2011, 08:18:03 PM »
Hi I'm DappleBellyJosh, same as my twitter :)
Found fantasy faction through twitter and had a look
Pretty cool as I'm relatively new to fantasy, used to stick to fiction Conn Iggulden etc but thanks to a friend lending me The Painted/Warded Man I am in love with the genre!

Any books to recommend a newbie?

Offline ToddM

« Reply #386 on: October 21, 2011, 07:30:05 AM »
Howdy from Texas!

Found/was found via twitter. I'm Todd Maternowski, a 36 year-old father of a baby girl, still-employed journalist and brand-spankin' new fantasy author. A lifelong fantasy reader, my favorite authors are Tolkien (of course), Martin (ditto), Gene Wolfe, Neil Gaiman, Cormac McCarthy, Patrick Rothfuss and a whole bunch of dead Russian guys.

Just under a year ago, I had written nothing since high school (and trust me, that stuff sucked). I finally, after 10+ years of prodding from a friend, read Game of Thrones, and loved it so much that I decided to see if I could do that myself. Six months later, I churned out the seventh revised version of EXMORTUS, the first book in a dark fantasy trilogy.

After getting 44 rejections from literary agents busy looking for the next Good Vampire/Bland Heroine novel, I self-published in August. I'm currently writing the second book, and have a couple of nifty short stories out there as well.

It's not easy being a brand new writer, so of course I'm trying to win over fans of fantasy (especially the jaded, cynical bastards amongst you... you're my target audience! Well, you and Dungeons and Dragons nerds) one at a time. I'm gonna end this post so I can poke around the site a bit. Thanks!

Offline Autumn2May

• Word Mage
  • Administrator
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: October 21, 2011, 04:37:07 PM »
Welcome to all our new members!  We are so happy you've found us!  I hope you enjoy your stay! :)

Offline Kiri

« Reply #388 on: October 22, 2011, 06:41:25 PM »
I'm Kiri, and I must join the 'found you on twitter' club.  I've been a fantasy/sci-fi fan my entire life.  Curiosity lead me to click the link and now I am here on a spiffy board with spiffy people.  :) 
"The longer I live, the more Canadians I seem to meet." --Me

Offline Autumn2May

• Word Mage
  • Administrator
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: October 23, 2011, 08:42:47 PM »
I'm Kiri, and I must join the 'found you on twitter' club.  I've been a fantasy/sci-fi fan my entire life.  Curiosity lead me to click the link and now I am here on a spiffy board with spiffy people.  :) 

Welcome Kiri!  I'm glad you think we're spiffy. :)  Hope you like it here, we're glad to have you. :)