December 12, 2019, 06:23:37 PM

Author Topic: Say Hi, I'm new thread  (Read 274028 times)

Online Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
Re: Say Hi, I'm new thread
« Reply #1275 on: June 17, 2017, 07:40:31 AM »
Ask for Recommendations for novels to read!

I would say to read Paolini over Hobb wouldn't you say so @ScarletBea
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 08:04:14 AM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1276 on: June 17, 2017, 09:23:09 AM »
Ask for Recommendations for novels to read!

I would say to read Paolini over Hobb wouldn't you say so @ScarletBea
:P

I've never read Paolini, but I *love* Hobb, he's just teasing me about it ::) ;D
And yeah, ask for recommendations and your life will never be the same again 8)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Feanor

« Reply #1277 on: June 19, 2017, 08:29:54 PM »
Hi,ladies and gents!
I'm new here and though usually  I start with the phrase "long time lurker, first time poster"  it does not apply in this case.

Origin Story
Spoiler for Hiden:
So my "street" name is Feanor and I stumbled upon the World of Fantasy  at sixth grade , while chilling at a friend's house I noticed three big black books named "The Lord of the Rings".
I loved them but the revelation for me was when I read Silmarillion.
It was two years after my first encounter with Tolkien and I was curious about the mysterious background of Tolkien's work so when I went down to the local book festival and saw it on the stands I immediately bought it.
I spent my entire evening and,then,  morning reading  and by the end I was mostly confused  ??? (by all those names) but I was also ecstatic,full of anxiousness and enthusiasm!
I couldn't wait to read it again to absorb this vast world.
Now don't get me wrong,I'm not one of those people that Deitify(if I may use that word) Tolkien and Silmarillion is in fact an unfinished work but it revealed to me my principal love in the fantasy genre,"Worldbuilding".

If you read the wall of text above you would know that my favourite (from my brief lurking I think a poster here has a beef with not mentioning the -U-) aspect in fantasy is worldbuilding.
This brings me to the "why" I chose to register here and "how" i found out about you.

How I found you and why I joined
Spoiler for Hiden:
I've read some fantasy books since my first (mostly Epic and High,for those that can differentiate) and as so many others before I took the leap to create my own world.
At first, I tried my hand at worldbuilding  in manga literature(since I 'm a fan of those too) but I, eventually, dropped it because I'm artistically challenged  :P and manga do need a certain level of ability in drawing(which I don't have  :'().
At any rate,recently, I've started writing my world.
Don't get me wrong it's mostly small details or information about the mechanics of my wannabe world, a little bit of theogony, some character trivia,how the magic system works,what races exist and their connections etc.
Well, if it wasn't for internet I don't know if I'd have achieved anything.
I should make it clear that I've in no way "studied writing" and English is not my native language.
Through one of my long reading sessions on the web I came upon the site and the forum.
I only lurked a bit before i registered and quickly came to the introductions thread to post my first comment and ,hopefully, be guided by my seniors.
I would,also, like to receive recommendations for books to read or reviews for books that I hesitate to read.

Summing up(for those that don't want to read the above) I'm a vivid fantasy reader,aspiring writer and I 'm here to receive suggestions and guidance in,both, reading and writing.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 08:37:27 PM by Feanor »
Tomorrow will take us away!!!

The Bard's Song by Blind Guardian

Online Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: June 19, 2017, 09:14:46 PM »
Welcome Feanor and thank you for using the "U" ;-)

Which part of the globe do you come from? Well I'm glad you finally found your true home here.

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Offline Feanor

« Reply #1279 on: June 19, 2017, 09:50:27 PM »
I'm Greek from the second largest city in Greece,Thessaloniki!

As it happens the whole fantasy community is rather thin here(compared to other countries) but we're dedicated and hungry,be it for books,tabletop games(D&D) or anything other affiliated with an escape to another world.

At any rate I'm happy I found you and looking forward to conversing with the members here  :).
By the way, where are you from?

Online Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: June 19, 2017, 10:02:43 PM »
I'm from  Birmingham, England but this place is full of  people from different areas of the world.

Go and explore the forums and don't be scared to post in old topics either! Have fun

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #1281 on: June 20, 2017, 01:44:50 AM »
Welcome Feanor! There's more than a few Tolkien fans here, although we who love the Silmarillion are few and far between, compared to the rest.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #1282 on: June 20, 2017, 02:54:41 AM »
Hi, @Feanor!
I'm one of the U.S. contingent here, and very glad to have someone from the cradle of western civilization join in. Also a JRRT devotee and appreciator of the Silmarilion.  If you ever feel like doing a little writing in addition to world building, we have a monthly short story contest. And lots more.  Enjoy!
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Feanor

« Reply #1283 on: June 20, 2017, 05:05:23 PM »
I'm from  Birmingham, England but this place is full of  people from different areas of the world.

Go and explore the forums and don't be scared to post in old topics either! Have fun
Welcome Feanor! There's more than a few Tolkien fans here, although we who love the Silmarillion are few and far between, compared to the rest.
Hi, @Feanor!
I'm one of the U.S. contingent here, and very glad to have someone from the cradle of western civilization join in. Also a JRRT devotee and appreciator of the Silmarilion.  If you ever feel like doing a little writing in addition to world building, we have a monthly short story contest. And lots more.  Enjoy!

Hey guys, glad to be here.
I'll be looking at the threads to see what's on here and although I'm currently looking,mostly, for book recommendations and maybe some "writer's corner" to get a feel of things I'm sure that I will be surprised
by what I'll find here.
I was hoping that there'd be Silmarillion fans(I mean I expected Tolkien fans in a fantasy forum but Silmarillion is a bit trickier) so that's positive number one!
I will be checking out the contest but, to be honest, I don't feel like I'm at that level right now so we'll see.
I'm gonna start checking right now  ;D !!!

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #1284 on: June 21, 2017, 12:54:54 AM »
Hi, @Feanor.

Check out this thread that we did for Gem Cutter when he joined. Lots of great recommendations!

http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/fantasy-book-discussion/nominations-please-5-novel-reading-list-for-the-gem-cutter/msg150954/#msg150954
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: June 21, 2017, 02:02:36 AM »
Hello @Feanor and welcome. A few Australians here as well, so it's a fairly international bunch. I haven't visited  Greece but lived in Limassol, Cyprus, for three years and love how happy Greek Cypriot people are. Never ate and drank so well or danced so much anywhere else. ;D

There are some older threads where we had Book Battles to choose our favourite Books, series etc and they are quite useful to go back and look through as there are so many suggestions for books to read. look at the brackets to get a shorter version although the comments are interesting in the discussions as well.

http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/fantasy-faction-book-battles/
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #1286 on: June 21, 2017, 09:51:46 PM »
Hello and welcome! We troopers who have read the Silmarillion cover to cover are thinner on the ground but you will find a few here. I do love a good dose of mythology!

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline Feanor

« Reply #1287 on: June 25, 2017, 08:00:25 PM »
Hi, @Feanor.

Check out this thread that we did for Gem Cutter when he joined. Lots of great recommendations!

http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/fantasy-book-discussion/nominations-please-5-novel-reading-list-for-the-gem-cutter/msg150954/#msg150954
Hello @Feanor and welcome. A few Australians here as well, so it's a fairly international bunch. I haven't visited  Greece but lived in Limassol, Cyprus, for three years and love how happy Greek Cypriot people are. Never ate and drank so well or danced so much anywhere else. ;D

There are some older threads where we had Book Battles to choose our favourite Books, series etc and they are quite useful to go back and look through as there are so many suggestions for books to read. look at the brackets to get a shorter version although the comments are interesting in the discussions as well.

http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/fantasy-faction-book-battles/
Hello and welcome! We troopers who have read the Silmarillion cover to cover are thinner on the ground but you will find a few here. I do love a good dose of mythology!

Hey guys, sorry for not getting back to you earlier but there seemed to be a problem with logging in(something about my session expiring...).
Anyway, thank you for the warm welcome!

@Jmack  and @Lady_Ty thanks for the the links to the respective threads.
I've,already, taken a look and chose a series to read,in fact I finished it.

The series I'm talking about is "The faithful and the fallen" by John Gwynne.
It was quite good, I liked it.

I hope I'll find more such book series(I do prefer them over standalones but feel free to suggest them either way) because I truly devour them.

@CameronJohnston  it's always good to find fellow Silmarilli-ans and lovers of mythology,in fact I'm worldbuilding a fantasy universe heavily influenced from Greek mythology but I'm avoiding all the known gods and tropes(such as the Olympians or Heracles) that have already been showcased in other works in literature, video games and movies.
I'm borrowing more from the unknown part of Greek mythology.

At any rate I hope I can share this with the people in the forum some time in future but it's still in it's infancy and I'm quite shy about it.

Offline ChirpyAnn

« Reply #1288 on: July 27, 2017, 03:24:04 PM »
I'm NEW! Hello.  :) I found my way here through the Facebook group. Can't wait to dig in!

My name's Ann Swaim. I'm a reader and a writer. My favorite thing I've read recently is The Remnant Chronicles by Mary E. Pearson.
“Without change something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken.”
- Frank Herbert, Dune

https://annmarieswaim.com/

http://fyreandbrimstonepublishing.com/coming-soon

Online Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: July 27, 2017, 03:48:23 PM »
I'm NEW! Hello.  :) I found my way here through the Facebook group. Can't wait to dig in!

My name's Ann Swaim. I'm a reader and a writer. My favorite thing I've read recently is The Remnant Chronicles by Mary E. Pearson.

Hello!

We are better looking then the Facebook members and  are more sophisticated  and a bit mad, you fit right in.