September 16, 2019, 02:05:01 PM

Author Topic: Say Hi, I'm new thread  (Read 246674 times)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
Re: Say Hi, I'm new thread
« Reply #1170 on: August 26, 2016, 02:24:33 AM »
Hi, @Katlynn:

Welcome to the Forum.
Yes, Scott Lynch (Lies of Locke Lamora) is great, but I'm happy to see someone planning to read Lord Foul's Bane. I enjoyed it a great deal way back in the day.

Cheers!
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline fdorrian87

« Reply #1171 on: August 28, 2016, 09:28:06 PM »
Hey everyone, good to make your acquaintance :)

I'm Frank, I'm a long-time fantasy nerd and writer.

I'm massively into writers like Mark Lawrence, Joe Abercrombie, Brandon Sanderson, Bernard Cornwell and Robin Hobb.

I'm also a huge tech and gaming dweeb, so hopefully there's a few others like you on here for me to talk to haha
The Shadow of the High King - released August 30th

frankdorrian.wordpress.com

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: August 30, 2016, 05:42:46 AM »
Welcome @fdorrian87 come and join in the conversations and have fun. You're not the only one to love those particular writers they have a great following here andthere are plenty of techies and game addicts around. Don't be afraid to ask questions if you can't find your way around or don't understand something. ;D
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Jake Baelish

« Reply #1173 on: August 30, 2016, 07:43:25 AM »
Hey everyone, good to make your acquaintance :)

I'm Frank, I'm a long-time fantasy nerd and writer.

I'm massively into writers like Mark Lawrence, Joe Abercrombie, Brandon Sanderson, Bernard Cornwell and Robin Hobb.

I'm also a huge tech and gaming dweeb, so hopefully there's a few others like you on here for me to talk to haha

Hi Frank, fellow newcomer here!

I just started reading Sanderson's Way of Kings and I'm hooked. Decided to look at his books after watching every one of his writing lectures on Youtube :)
Check out my book 'Prince of Fiends' here: http://amzn.eu/4l5M7OO
Follow Prince Leon Atlantus as he forms a dangerous friendship with his captors, while held hostage across a world headed for war...

Greetings :)
« Reply #1174 on: September 24, 2016, 05:09:19 AM »
Greetings!

I recently joined the forum in order to meet like-minded people. I'm a 7th grade English teacher who largely considers myself a writer who teaches rather than a teacher who writes. I'm a big-time gamer who loves League of Legends and I'm a huge fan of the fantasy/sci-fi genre.

I'm interested in reading and networking with other indie authors. I'm currently working on a novel that, unless I change my mind, I will be putting a lot of time and energy into self- publishing.

Thanks!
Jon Howard

Offline Tesagk

« Reply #1175 on: September 27, 2016, 12:29:56 AM »
Hello! I'm Tesagk.

My interests are varied, I could probably write a whole book's worth of describing what appeals to me. So I'll sum it up by saying... I'm interested in stories with fleshed out settings and characters. The character bit is obvious. Good literature follows characters who people can relate to, and who grow and change throughout the story. The setting bit is fairly straightforward as well. If I'm going to read a story involving magic, technology, or any hybridization therein, I want it to all fit within systems that make sense. There's nothing worse to me than a story in which characters overcome challenges using things which have no explanation or basis, where they always come up with the right spell to use (even if it doesn't seem to fit within the rules described); or they always have the right piece of technology, again, without foundation.

I'm also a writer. Nothing published yet, at least fiction-wise, but I'm always playing with story stuff.

zp1973

« Reply #1176 on: November 11, 2016, 01:19:00 PM »
Hi My name is Zoe and I'm from Ireland. Married with 3 kids 2 boys and 1 girl. Have two pets - 1 cat and 1 dog and 3 goldfish. Love nature.

I just joined this site and I also just recently joined my local writer's group. I am writing a story on portal fantasy with some of it based off Irish Mythology which I love. Would love to hear from other writer's in this type of fantasy genre who could give me tips, advice and critiques. I would gladly return the favor. It's an interesting experience so far. Also thinking of adding a few poems to the story too.

Have been writing for a year before joining the local writing group. Nothing published. I would like too but at the moment it's just a hobby and a fun thing to do. I also journal quiet a lot. On my 4th one.

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1177 on: November 11, 2016, 01:23:42 PM »
Welcome Zoe!

We're a very friendly bunch, and we like newbies, both writers and readers of fantasy :)

Feel free to post everywhere, maybe create a thread with your question about portal fantasy on the Writers' Corner?
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline ScottOden

« Reply #1178 on: November 12, 2016, 04:00:54 AM »
Hi all,

New to the forums, and pleased to make your collective acquaintances!

My name is Scott Oden and I'm a writer of historical fiction and historical fantasy.  Had 3 books published between 2005 and 2010 (two from a small press, and the last from St. Martin's), took a break to care for my terminally ill parents, and now I'm back to writing.  My fourth novel is set to hit shelves on 20 June 2017 (29 June in the UK).  It's called "A Gathering of Ravens" and it's basically me messing around with a long-held dream of writing an "Orc book" (you know, where Orcs are the heroes . . . or anti-heroes) -- though I went off the reservation and rather than create a world, I inserted them into Norse myth.  We'll see if *that* works come June.

Otherwise, I'm a reader (Robert E. Howard being my favorite author), a gamer, and a walker of dogs.  Glad to be here!

Offline Lady Ty

• Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: November 12, 2016, 05:21:37 AM »
Welcome to the Forum Scott, this is a very friendly forum and there are many here to share your interests. Liking the sound of Orcs getting a new and better deal. Are you a Discworld fan ? If so you may already know of Mr Nutt, who is an Orc ".. intelligent, well-read and capable of feats of love and poetry" ;D.

Have a good look around and we'd love you to join in any discussions, and maybe enter the  Monthly Writing contest.
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 

Offline ScottOden

« Reply #1180 on: November 12, 2016, 08:04:37 PM »
Thanks, Lady_Ty!  I recognize quite a few names from FB and other social media, so it already feels very familiar.  I've not read that particular Pratchett, yet, but I've run across much love for Mr. Nutt while gathering Orc-related material.

Is there a place for trad-pubbed writers to post about their upcoming releases?  I saw a forum for self/indie and small press . . .

Offline Lady Ty

• Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: November 13, 2016, 12:59:03 AM »

Is there a place for trad-pubbed writers to post about their upcoming releases?  I saw a forum for self/indie and small press . . .

Sure is
http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/small-press-and-self-published/

Have a look here and tell us more about your books.

Must add this is a very fast moving Forum, and with many threads it is hard for everyone to keep up. Not everybody reads every thread, so don't be discouraged if you don't get many replies or comments on that particular thread. Also, we do enjoy the company of, and encourage,  writers who join in and interact with us elsewhere on the forum. ;)

Offline ScottOden

« Reply #1182 on: November 13, 2016, 02:40:20 AM »
Oh, excellent!  I thought that was just for small press or indie (mine's from one of the Big 5).  Here's a link: http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/small-press-and-self-published/a-gathering-of-ravens-by-scott-oden/

Thanks, again :)

Offline Lady Ty

• Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: November 13, 2016, 08:10:09 AM »
Oh, excellent!  I thought that was just for small press or indie (mine's from one of the Big 5).  Here's a link: http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/small-press-and-self-published/a-gathering-of-ravens-by-scott-oden/

Uh oh may have redirected you in error as I didn't take in those details. Will get advice from one of the mods to make sure all is OK meantime leave your post with all the info where it is, please.

@Arry , @xiagan Please could you advise here?

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #1184 on: November 13, 2016, 04:15:42 PM »

Uh oh may have redirected you in error as I didn't take in those details. Will get advice from one of the mods to make sure all is OK meantime leave your post with all the info where it is, please.

@Arry , @xiagan Please could you advise here?

While not widely used, we do have the Upcoming Conventions/Releases: http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/upcoming-conventions-book-releases/. This is where we would put Traditionally published books as well as conventions.

Or, if you add the book release to the calendar, it will generate a post in the above board. We used to use this more in the past, but no reason it can't be still used.

(And welcome to the forum Scott!)
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com