September 20, 2019, 12:32:58 AM

Author Topic: Say Hi, I'm new thread  (Read 247017 times)

Offline OneChapterMore

Re: Say Hi, I'm new thread
« Reply #75 on: January 07, 2011, 04:15:35 PM »
Hey guys! I'm Max, or Moonshine, either/or. I work with Alex (Alexeatsbooks) in a bookshop in lovely Oxford. I'm 18, and really into fantasy and SF, as well as reading more and more 'literature' in preparation for a degree next year.

I started with the usual fantasy/childrens books, both classics and new stuff that was come out, before moving on to 'fantasy' proper. Genre books were introduced to me by a chance picking up of Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, which followed the first Harry Potter books. I then moved on to more 'adult' books, such as Robin Hobbs, Robert Jordan, Tolkien etc.

Currently reading Brisingr by Chistopher Paolini again, as I'm never opposed to some YA in my life.

EDIT: With regard to a real-time chat thingy, I look into an IRC channel for us if people want?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 04:17:18 PM by Moonshine »
Blog: Onechaptermore
@onechaptermore

I ramble with Lor and The Idlewilder at Rambling Through Genre

"I have within me all the dreams of the world"
- Fernando Pessoa

Offline AlexEatsBooks

« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2011, 06:44:54 PM »
Hey guys! I'm Max, or Moonshine, either/or. I work with Alex (Alexeatsbooks) in a bookshop in lovely Oxford. I'm 18, and really into fantasy and SF, as well as reading more and more 'literature' in preparation for a degree next year.

I started with the usual fantasy/childrens books, both classics and new stuff that was come out, before moving on to 'fantasy' proper. Genre books were introduced to me by a chance picking up of Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, which followed the first Harry Potter books. I then moved on to more 'adult' books, such as Robin Hobbs, Robert Jordan, Tolkien etc.

Currently reading Brisingr by Chistopher Paolini again, as I'm never opposed to some YA in my life.

EDIT: With regard to a real-time chat thingy, I look into an IRC channel for us if people want?

Heeeey Maximus! Glad you could join us ^.^
Even if it's remembered, a dream is just a dream.
Book Blog: http://www.alexeatsbooks.blogspot.com

Offline redhead

« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2011, 09:42:45 PM »
Hi there.   I'm Redhead.   Wow this place has exploded since lurked through a month or three ago!  good job!

I'm mostly into epic fantasy, SF, manga, weird stuff.  I blog at littleredreviewer.wordpress.com.

it's been a few years since I've done any kind of forum type thing, so we'll see how it works out.

Offline Jlecaroz

« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2011, 11:06:19 PM »
Hey Y'all -

I found the site through Twitter.  You can follow me @JC_Zoracel

I'm from Virginia.  I've always been a reader but had fallen away from it for awhile.  I have to thank Terry Goodkind for the Sword of Truth series and getting me into Fantasy as it quickly became my favorite genre.

JC

Offline Funky Scarecrow

« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2011, 01:56:10 AM »
Hey everyone. I'm Dan, or Funky Scarecrow - whichever you prefer, and I found the place through twitter, where I occasionally remember I have an account and post something tedious and of no possible interest to the world at large (e.g. My weight in Smarties is approx. 337,500). Besides that I've got a dormant blog, a facebook account I almost never use, a LiveJournal I only posted on once and a tumblr with the same number of brainfarts on it. I'm really not very good at the social networking thing. I keep forgetting to be sociable on them. I tend to do a bit better with fora and message boards, though.

I'm a big fan of fantasy fiction in general and new British fantasy in specific, in fact I think we're entering into something of a mini Golden Age right now in this country where fantasy is concerned. I'm also partial to a bit of horror, SF, the odd crime or mystery novel and sometimes I even do Literature (so long as it doesn't try and bang me over the head with its own importance). Sometimes I write, though only in short story format, and hope one day to be good enough for what I write to be published. Please don't talk to me about football or cricket, or else I'll bore you half to death with my long winded and ill informed opinions.

That's about it, I think. See you around the boards at some point.  :)
I am NOT short. I'm further away than I look.

Offline Rhevian

« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2011, 12:51:13 PM »
Hi there, my name's Howard, I have just registered here, found via twitter. I have been reading fantasy and SF for many years, my favourite fantasy authors include Mary Gentle, John Crowley, Gene Wolfe, Guy Gavriel Kay, Jack Vance. For a living, I write video games ;D

Offline Sharpy

« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2011, 01:03:21 PM »
Welcome to all those I have missed.
"Treat people as you would have them treat you."

Offline Overlord

« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2011, 01:03:56 PM »
Welcome everyone :)
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline Layla

« Reply #83 on: January 11, 2011, 07:27:04 PM »
Hi everyone! I'm sorta new.  I joined about a month ago but haven't posted much, yet. 
I'm relatively new to fantasy as I come from a fairly conservative christian background.  It wasn't until I got married (a little over a year ago) that I really got introduced to fantasy literature (and movies ;D).  I now enjoy reading fantasy and am currently working through LOTR.  I also like writing fantasy.

"You know we cannot lie."
"Yes, but you have many ways of not telling the truth."

Offline michaelramm

« Reply #84 on: January 11, 2011, 07:59:11 PM »
Hi everyone! I'm sorta new.  I joined about a month ago but haven't posted much, yet. 
I'm relatively new to fantasy as I come from a fairly conservative christian background.  It wasn't until I got married (a little over a year ago) that I really got introduced to fantasy literature (and movies ;D).  I now enjoy reading fantasy and am currently working through LOTR.  I also like writing fantasy.

AWESOME! and Welcome!
There is lot of great info here, and even more getting added all the time!

If you have any questions please, feel free to post here!
Currently Reading: Hunted [Iron Druid #6]
Favorite Authors: Tolkien, Sanderson, Kemp, Salvatore, Sullivan, Hearne
goodreads: michaelramm

Offline mithrilwisdom

• Tribute
  • Veni Vermini Vomiti - Terry Pratchett
    • View Profile
    • Mithril Wisdom
« Reply #85 on: January 11, 2011, 08:27:27 PM »
Hey everyone!

Brand spanking new member, signed up today. Like a lot of you, I came here through Twitter (@mithrilwisdom if you're feeling social). I'm a fantasy blogger over at http://mithrilwisdom.blogspot.com. I've written some short stories (nothing published) and I'm very slowly working on an epic fantasy.

Good to see so many people on here! Looking forward to getting some discussions/arguments going :P

Offline RAIMAZ

• Seeker
  • Writing makes the voices go away ;)
    • View Profile
    • Convergence 2012
« Reply #86 on: January 11, 2011, 08:46:12 PM »
My name is Robert Ricks and I came across this site from a twitter feed...
I'm a new author and a professional designer.
My first novel is entitled "Convergence 2012" and I am working on a novel experiment where each Saturday I podcast from a loose idea and then transcribe while recording to complete a chapter.  That story is called "The POET"

Offline thedoctor

« Reply #87 on: January 13, 2011, 11:34:20 PM »
Hi

I'm a newbie. Like a few others, I found this place through Twitter - @chrisdavis1083. Favorite series is probably Song of Ice and Fire. I am currently reading Mistborn: Final Empire on my new Kindle  :) and thoroughly enjoying it!
Twitter: @authorneil
Blog: http://neilandersonblog.wordpress.com/

Offline thebeatpoetic

« Reply #88 on: January 15, 2011, 12:24:26 AM »
Hi everyone!  ;)

Relatively new to this forum, but I love what I see so far. I stumbled across the site while searching for anticipated fantasy novels of 2011. I've been reading fantasy for well over a decade now, and recently have found myself in a constant state of re-reading all my favorite series. I was thinking of searching out an online book club before I found this site, so I was super stoked to find that one had been started here just this January.

Anyways, I'm sure I'll see you all around these forums!  ;D

Offline Darthair

« Reply #89 on: January 16, 2011, 10:29:23 PM »
Hi, I'm new!

I'm a 22 year old (23 tomorrow!) student from Iceland (though that last part hasn't always been popular these last couple of years). I started reading fantasy at age 11, when I got the first 3 Harry Potter books (in english) for christmas. By the end of the next year I had read The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings and The Riftwar Saga, and had just started reading The Eye of the World. By that point there was no turning back ;)

Like many, I came across this place through twitter (@darthair, if you're wondering).