October 23, 2019, 02:06:54 AM

Author Topic: Say Hi, I'm new thread  (Read 258876 times)

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
Re: Say Hi, I'm new thread
« Reply #765 on: January 30, 2013, 02:53:08 AM »
Another member! Hello there Javna. Hope things go well in the moving process. It can be a... bad excuse to procrastinate.

And I hope you enjoy the Book Club. We have this really OCD organized leader running it. And I hope the forum navigation gets a little better. Just don't worry about all the buttons.

(And I hope you aren't scared away by all the 'hopes')
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #766 on: January 30, 2013, 05:26:16 AM »
Love seeing all the new member!  ;D Welcome!

I found this site by searching for fantasy book club on google. I too am a gamer (360, ps3, and wii) I look forward to the February read. I'm an American awaiting residency in Canada and I have too much time on my hands so reading is good. Hi all!
Definitely happy to have you join in the discussions with us!  :)
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Seregris

« Reply #767 on: January 30, 2013, 09:02:20 AM »
Hello.  I've made a few posts over the last couple days.  Here's my story:

I'm a husband and father in my 30s who lives in Minnesota and who currently works 2 1/2 shifts a week as a bartender.  I've been writing creatively for years and have never published a damn thing, but in the past few months a fire has been lit under my ass (to make a long story short) and joining a writer's group is one of the things I've decided I need to do.

I'm currently working on the second draft of a novel set in 15th century Wales.  It is the first part of what I hope to be series of books - though I do not have an outline for the entire saga.  I would describe it as historlcal fantasy.  To that end, I'm working on some short stories to help "flesh out" the world, and plan on posting them here in the near future.

My favorite fantasy/sci-fi books are DUNE, THE HOBBIT, and THE BOOK OF THE NEW SUN by Gene Wolfe.  I also really like Wolfe's WIZARD KNIGHT series ( a two-parter).

Growing up I read THE WHEEL OF TIME series (though I got sick of it by book 7) and I also enjoyed the MEMORY, SORROW, AND THORN trilogy by Tad Williams.

I read a few of Piers Anthony's "Xanth" novels and liked the first few.  I also recommend reading the first part of BATTLE CIRCLE.  You can stop reading once you finish "Sos the Rope" as it's all downhill from there.

Oh, and I like WATERSHIP DOWN too!

« Reply #768 on: February 01, 2013, 04:26:25 PM »
Hi LittleMissEdi! Sure you won't be disappointed - it's a fab community here.. Lor makes sure of that. xD

Thanks Jaedia! Looking forward to getting properly stuck in - been having a browse and it looks like great fun. :D

« Reply #769 on: February 01, 2013, 04:34:19 PM »
HI! I'm new also! Just joined about twenty minutes ago and am also a bit new to the whole forum thing and I could use a little direction. I found this site by searching for fantasy book club on google. I too am a gamer (360, ps3, and wii) I look forward to the February read. I'm an American awaiting residency in Canada and I have too much time on my hands so reading is good. Hi all!

Hi Javna!!
Hope you're finding your way around - if we both end up lost and shouting for help in the dark inbetween bits of the forum I'm sure we'll bump into one another again!
Excellent console selection - I too have a horde, although haven't got a WiiU or 3Ds yet, suspect I'm slowing down in my old age (NiNoKuni's out in the UK today *races home from work!*)
Hope all goes well with the US-->Canada switch.

Welcome! Love fantasy with a dash if Sci Fi? Sounds perfect!

And hello shep5377!! If that sounds pretty perfect then I'm definitely in the right place - lovely to cyber meet you!

And hi to Seregris who joined soon after us (15th Century Wales sounds like hardcore research to me)

See you all soon :D

Offline anachronoxian

« Reply #770 on: February 04, 2013, 02:17:26 AM »
Hello.  I've made a few posts over the last couple days.  Here's my story:

I'm a husband and father in my 30s who lives in Minnesota and who currently works 2 1/2 shifts a week as a bartender.  I've been writing creatively for years and have never published a damn thing, but in the past few months a fire has been lit under my ass (to make a long story short) and joining a writer's group is one of the things I've decided I need to do.

I'm currently working on the second draft of a novel set in 15th century Wales.  It is the first part of what I hope to be series of books - though I do not have an outline for the entire saga.  I would describe it as historlcal fantasy.  To that end, I'm working on some short stories to help "flesh out" the world, and plan on posting them here in the near future.

My favorite fantasy/sci-fi books are DUNE, THE HOBBIT, and THE BOOK OF THE NEW SUN by Gene Wolfe.  I also really like Wolfe's WIZARD KNIGHT series ( a two-parter).

Growing up I read THE WHEEL OF TIME series (though I got sick of it by book 7) and I also enjoyed the MEMORY, SORROW, AND THORN trilogy by Tad Williams.

I read a few of Piers Anthony's "Xanth" novels and liked the first few.  I also recommend reading the first part of BATTLE CIRCLE.  You can stop reading once you finish "Sos the Rope" as it's all downhill from there.

Oh, and I like WATERSHIP DOWN too!

Hey there, we've got quite a lot in common, except that I'm a programmer instead of a bar tender, but all the rest reads like my tastes. Also your comment about book 7 of WOT. I love Brandon Sanderson, still haven't got around to finishing that monster of a series.

Watership Down! Wow, that's a blast from the past! See, when I was a kid, there wasn;t all this censorship crap, I was 7 and watched the movie. I didn;'t remember the gore, and saw it at the vid store, got it for my 5 year old daughter to watch. Well, didn;t I get crap from my wife. She calls me at work and asks me what kind of maniac I am (well she married me, she ought to know) but she says my daughter was crying..."The bunnies are burning! The bunnies are burning!"  oh well, Dad fail!

Welcome to the forums!
j. michael diebold

we wake only for a moment
light dancing upon the river of time

Offline Seregris

« Reply #771 on: February 04, 2013, 07:25:13 AM »
WATERSHIP DOWN the movie Isn't THAT extreme.  Simon Garfunkle sings "Bright Eyes" for crying out loud.

Offline anachronoxian

« Reply #772 on: February 04, 2013, 02:22:55 PM »
WATERSHIP DOWN the movie Isn't THAT extreme.  Simon Garfunkle sings "Bright Eyes" for crying out loud.

Try explaining that to my wife. They still razz me about it to this day. Unfortunately, they miss out on something special, as I see it. My daughter is 20 now, she's seen all the Saw movies... I think she may be ready for General Woundwort now.
j. michael diebold

Offline anachronoxian

« Reply #773 on: February 04, 2013, 02:30:19 PM »

Try explaining that to my wife. They still razz me about it to this day. Unfortunately, they miss out on something special, as I see it. My daughter is 20 now, she's seen all the Saw movies... I think she may be ready for General Woundwort now.

Whoah... there's a GURPS Watership Down adaptation!! I never knew that... Bunnies & Burrows!

Haha!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunnies_%26_Burrows

j. michael diebold

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: February 04, 2013, 04:56:09 PM »

Aside from fields of blood, rabbits being gassed, teaching children that we are all mortal? That movie traumatised me as a child!
The Real Powers That Be

Offline anachronoxian

« Reply #775 on: February 04, 2013, 06:02:42 PM »

Aside from fields of blood, rabbits being gassed, teaching children that we are all mortal? That movie traumatised me as a child!

Bah! What's a little bit 'o burning bunnies?! I watched Apocalypse Now, Aliens, Scarface and every war movie ever made by the time I was 10 years old, and I turned out just fine.

*eye twitch*  :o
j. michael diebold

Offline Jaedia

« Reply #776 on: February 04, 2013, 09:20:25 PM »

And me... I genuinely can't watch it now. I tried a few years ago..

Offline Sidhe

« Reply #777 on: February 19, 2013, 09:10:33 PM »
I'm new around here, and looking forward to getting stuck in. I'm 25, and probably best classed as a full-time worker, part-time student, intermittent writer and constant reader. I'm mainly here because of my compulsive reading habit and my enjoyment of meeting others who share similar tastes. When pay day rolls in, friends and boyfriend alike have learned the hard way not to let me near anywhere that sells books, lest I bankrupt myself.

I have a list of favourite books that is likely as tall as me by now. I was raised on classic fantasy like Tolkien and David Eddings, but my interests have expanded to include just about anything within the fantasy genre. Books that I've enjoyed in the past few months include The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss and Ashes of Honor by Seanan McGuire. Feel free to recommend books to me if the urge so strikes you, I'll likely appreciate it (even if my groaning and over-filled bookshelves will not).

Offline shep5377

Say Hi, I'm new thread
« Reply #778 on: February 19, 2013, 09:37:30 PM »
Welcome! I'm sure you'll love the site, it's a great place to waste time!

Offline Murgen

« Reply #779 on: February 20, 2013, 01:39:42 AM »
Hi Everybody!

I'm Larry

Larry was taken so I went with Murgen. I am a huge Glen Cook fan. Black Company and Garrett PI are fantastic. I found my way here by twitter. I'm @LarryBizkit on twitter.

I have been reading Sci Fi and Fantasy for over 15 years now. Lately, I haven't been able to read books lately as I have a 9 month old son. I haven't found enough time in the day for books so I have been reading a ton of comic books. Comics give me similar adventure without the time commitment. I'm looking forward to getting in on some discussions when I can!