October 19, 2019, 01:30:10 AM

Author Topic: Say Hi, I'm new thread  (Read 258584 times)

Offline Nestat

• Terry Goodkind's Biggest Fan
  • Ambient Mage
  • The world needs more ginger heroes!
    • View Profile
    • nothingtree.wordpress.com
Re: Say Hi, I'm new thread
« Reply #720 on: October 24, 2012, 10:24:27 PM »
Hi Dave,

Welcome! Speaking as an "older member" who was not involved, this is not a common occurence. The welcome I received - as did most - has been very warm and inclusive. The issue with the latest posters is that they introduced themselves with some very provocative posts. I don't mean that in an antagonist or judgemental way, but there were a number of uncomfortable subjects brought up which rubbed a lot of people up the wrong way.

I'm not going to discuss or defend how existing members reacted and how everyone carried on from there. I have my opinions on the matter certainly, but ultimately the problem boils downs to: there weren't enough apologies going round and things escalated. An ugly moment, but generally rare and the mods have stepped in to sort things out.

Sorry you had to step in at such an unfortunate time and I hope you (and any others reading) don't feel discouraged from joining in. These guys are usually quite a pleasant bunch... and I've made some very good friends on here. Hopefully you'll be one of them.      
"Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. They have not forgotten this." - Terry Pratchett

Offline Jeni

« Reply #721 on: October 24, 2012, 10:31:57 PM »
thank you ever so much for the very warm welcome,fallen one and elfy. i have read some of the return of the reaper and have enjoyed it a lot, terrific writing!

i'm not being cheeky but to tell you the truth i haven't just felt comfortable posting my thoughts here yet because i've been reading a lot and the atmosphere has been just a little bit on the mental side. to be frank,i feel really uncomfortable when i see a clique of older members hassle newer members. no apologies given. the welcome some folks have gotten here have made me think if i say one wrong word, i'll have the whole bloody gang chewing me up. i'm telling you, if that happened to me, i'd just leave because i came here to find a nice community. being depressed it's very hard for me to connect with others and now i'm afraid even i'll be ridiculed for saying these things.okay, i said it, come what may.

Welcome Dave,
I am a fan of Eddings and Tolkien too - although I can't claim to have read everything by either author (yet! :))
I also suffer with recurring chronic depression, so I completely understand how uncomfortable these events have made you feel - I appreciate you being honest about how you feel and I hope that soon you feel completely at home here.
Jeni
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 03:09:27 PM by Jeni »

Offline Retsil

« Reply #722 on: October 29, 2012, 02:25:05 AM »
Hi....
       Well this has been a long time coming I'm Mick (aka Retsil)I'm Jeni's Brother and Ive been signed up for a while but i have been silent but i have been given the dig in the ribs to come and say hello :P so Hello!! :)

I haven't really got a type of book i read, before my hiatus from reading due to some boring medical rubbish id pick up anything and read it. I have soft spots for a few authors tho mostly sci-fantasy or horror (King/Gemmell/Herbert/Pratchett/Holt/Eddings/Feist to name but a few) and anything that my sister pre approves shoves in my face and say's READ THIS!!

So yeah er thats me i suppose i cant promise ill post loads but when i do i will likely have my tongue firmly in my cheek I cant help being a sarky so and so i grew up with a much smarter sibling :P

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #723 on: October 29, 2012, 03:03:25 AM »
Welcome Retsil, any friend or relative of Jeni's is welcome here.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Jeni

« Reply #724 on: October 29, 2012, 12:45:29 PM »
Hi....
       Well this has been a long time coming I'm Mick (aka Retsil)I'm Jeni's Brother and Ive been signed up for a while but i have been silent but i have been given the dig in the ribs to come and say hello :P so Hello!! :)

Hello  :)

Sorry about the ribs. :P There may be cheesecake as compensation!  ;D

Offline SteffHumm

« Reply #725 on: November 15, 2012, 09:10:34 PM »
Hi, I'm new!

I'm not really new. I've been stalking around here for a while but I felt it was about time I stopped my antisocial behaviour and said hello.

My favourite authors are Tolkien, Rothfuss, Lynch, Abercrombie and Hobb but I'll give anything a go and love this site for its less mainstream recommendations.

Steff :)

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #726 on: November 15, 2012, 10:24:11 PM »
G'day Steff, love to hear that we give less mainstream recommendations. I'll keep trying to do that where I can.

Offline Jenster

« Reply #727 on: November 18, 2012, 08:14:29 PM »
Hi! My name is Jenster and I am new here. Looking forward to getting to know you all better.

Offline Jian

• Kingkiller
  • Can't think of anything clever for this...
    • View Profile
    • Writer's Periodical
« Reply #728 on: November 18, 2012, 08:53:51 PM »
Ey, Jenster. Welcome to the site.
Oh, I have a blog. http://dullboredom.wordpress.com/

Check it out, if you've got the time. Much appreciated.

Writer. Read my free, serialized story Radio Silence and vote to keep it free and serialized!

Offline Jenster

« Reply #729 on: November 18, 2012, 08:58:42 PM »
Thank you its good to be here

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #730 on: November 18, 2012, 10:28:12 PM »
Hope you enjoy spending time with us here, Jenster.

Offline Jenster

« Reply #731 on: November 19, 2012, 10:49:14 PM »
I'm sure I will. I have been browsing the posts

Offline Fallen One

• Chrestomanci
  • At long last I crafted a decent profile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: November 19, 2012, 11:15:58 PM »
 Agh! So much people, so little time!

Hello all and welcome to our humble troupĂ© of writers, readers and everything in between. I hope you all enjoy your stay here ^_^
Director and editor of Nerd Alert Magazine:
 https://www.facebook.com/NerdAlertMagazine

Offline MGShogun

• Seeker
  • Just fan of Fantasy and Science Fiction stuff
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: December 08, 2012, 10:04:56 AM »
Greeting, my name is MG and I'm fan of fantasy and sci fi stuff.

Hope to see you guys around.
Winter is coming! I didn't even prepare myself at all.

Offline Autumn2May

• Word Mage
  • Administrator
  • Khaleesi
  • Does the noise in my head bother you?
    • View Profile
    • The Write Way To Type - Writing Blog
« Reply #734 on: December 08, 2012, 12:55:56 PM »
Greeting, my name is MG and I'm fan of fantasy and sci fi stuff.

Hope to see you guys around.

Welcome to the site MG! :)