October 19, 2019, 01:29:16 AM

Author Topic: Say Hi, I'm new thread  (Read 258583 times)

Offline Lor

• Pictish Wonder
  • Master Namer
  • Queen of the Pirates
    • View Profile
    • The Marketplace of Opinions
Re: Say Hi, I'm new thread
« Reply #570 on: June 11, 2012, 09:37:05 PM »
Good evening all.

After much nagging by Laura (Lor) I have signed up here. My name is Phil, I love reading books regardless of their genre although I'm a bit of a crime fanboy. Been getting more into Sci-Fi/Fantasy TV shows as of late, Fringe is divine and Dollhouse is one of my all time favourite shows. I'm the one that Lor managed to wrangle into going to see Thor and have been addicted to the Marvel Cinematic Universe ever since.

I would like to write, I have a vivid enough imagination, but I get distracted easily by.....Ooooooh! Shiny!........sorry, yeah, I get easily distracted by the world around me and never really put pen to paper (or finish anything.... :-[ )

So, yeah. Hey! Laura says your all lovely people and I've known her just about long enough to trust her judgement. I think. Maybe 21yrs isn't enough? That would be awkward.

Why hello. Welcome. Behave, or else :P
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye." - Miss Piggy

Offline Phil

« Reply #571 on: June 11, 2012, 09:39:07 PM »
Good evening all.

After much nagging by Laura (Lor) I have signed up here. My name is Phil, I love reading books regardless of their genre although I'm a bit of a crime fanboy. Been getting more into Sci-Fi/Fantasy TV shows as of late, Fringe is divine and Dollhouse is one of my all time favourite shows. I'm the one that Lor managed to wrangle into going to see Thor and have been addicted to the Marvel Cinematic Universe ever since.

I would like to write, I have a vivid enough imagination, but I get distracted easily by.....Ooooooh! Shiny!........sorry, yeah, I get easily distracted by the world around me and never really put pen to paper (or finish anything.... :-[ )

So, yeah. Hey! Laura says your all lovely people and I've known her just about long enough to trust her judgement. I think. Maybe 21yrs isn't enough? That would be awkward.

Your car has a tash, I don't know if I can take anyone who's car has a tash seriously. Sorry pet. :(

:P

Offline Lor

• Pictish Wonder
  • Master Namer
  • Queen of the Pirates
    • View Profile
    • The Marketplace of Opinions
« Reply #572 on: June 11, 2012, 09:51:11 PM »
Good evening all.

Your car has a tash, I don't know if I can take anyone who's car has a tash seriously. Sorry pet. :(

:P

readying my banhammer as I type...:P
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye." - Miss Piggy

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #573 on: June 12, 2012, 02:35:10 AM »
Hello, hello! I've debated about joining up for a year or so now and decided to take the plunge. My name is Caitrin and I recognize a few familiar faces hereabouts and looking forward to getting to know new people and exploring the forums. I'm busy reading for my Hugo votes (bought a supporting membership just so I could!) and *gaspsurpriseshockandawe* am also a writer just starting to dip my toes in to the whole thing seriously. I only noticed the contest today so I'm hoping to get an entry in before the deadline. It's always hard to describe oneself so I'll just say that lately I've been devouring True Blood, Game of Thrones and Castle and the last book/series I read that I loved was the Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carriger.

Back to my raspberry pancakes though and hello again!

(I have a slight obsession with exclamation points)
Good for you for participating in the Hugo process. I didn't do it the first time I went to Worldcon in 2010, but I did last year and I felt good about having my 2 cents, plus I got some really good reading out of it. I'm doing it again this year and of the 2.5 books I've read thus far it's going to be tight. Naturally the one book I really wanted to make it, didn't :(. Welcome to Fantasy Faction.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Lia

« Reply #574 on: June 12, 2012, 03:18:53 PM »
Thank you Elfy, what book was that if you don't mind my asking?

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #575 on: June 12, 2012, 11:57:43 PM »
Thank you Elfy, what book was that if you don't mind my asking?
Cat Valente's The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland In A Ship Of Her Own Making. Absolutely amazing book. I'm really looking forward to the sequel to be released later this year. And you are very welcome.

Offline Lia

« Reply #576 on: June 15, 2012, 11:11:23 AM »
I've been meaning to read that! It shall have to move further up my to-read list. :D

Offline DariusTheTolerable

• Coreling
  • Professional Worthless Layabout and "Writer"
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: June 18, 2012, 03:42:55 PM »
Hello.  I just joined.  There's really not much more to say...  I am an aspiring author, and I joined this site because it seemed like a fun thing to do.
"I try to avoid having thoughts. They lead to other thoughts, and-if you're not careful-those lead to actions.
Actions make you tired. I have this on rather good authority from someone who once read it in a book."
- Lightsong, Warbreaker

Offline Seven

• This user has been banned
  • Night Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: June 20, 2012, 07:22:27 AM »
Hi all. Found this site through Google, was searching for recent/upcoming fantasy books to add to my wishlist (I do this every few months). I read fantasy novels pretty much exclusively, I enjoy scifi too but more as movies, TV shows or games than as novels. A few favourites off the top of my head -

His Dark Materials (Philip Pullman) - really codified my outlook on life. I read it quite young, and it put into words the formless, amorphous sort-of-philosophy that would become a core part of my adult personality and beliefs.

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell (Susannah Clarke) - one of the most immersive books I've ever read. The narrator, characters and footnotes all carry this tone of ineffable Englishness, and the book is partly about (or subtly mocking) Englishness of its era. The footnotes provide some non-plot-relevant worldbuilding and are as much a delight to read as the story itself, often containing original fairy tales fitting the alternate history in which the story takes place.

The Kingkiller Chronicles (Patric Rothfuss) - absolutely beautiful prose, and astounding attention to the obscure little details I delight in nitpicking and speculating about. It's also a story about stories themselves. Rothfuss has the same love of fairy tale traditions as I do.

The Farseer and Tawny Man trilogies (Robin Hobb) - the most character driven, and most developed characters, of anything I've ever read. Almost everyone has a depth they just don't in most series. Plus, the protagonist isn't the all-powerful hero of legend or chosen one, for once: he's a facilitator of heroism and fulfilment of legend in others.

I'm going to shock everyone here into speechlessness and mark myself as riff-raff by saying I DON'T like some of the most highly regarded fantasy series around: I thought LotR was one of the worst series I've ever read - wonderful ideas, and such a rich, fantastic lore, but presented horribly. I started, but didn't get far into the first books each of "Game of Thrones", "Malazan Book of the Fallen" and "Memory, Sorrow, Thorn", because I found the prose unbearable. I've read Magician by Feist once or twice and the second and third in that same trilogy once each, and found them tedious to slog through for very little reward.

So, that's me, my tastes and my introduction. Nice to meet you all.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 08:09:09 AM by Seven »

Offline robertbevan

« Reply #579 on: June 20, 2012, 08:34:46 AM »
I am an aspiring author,

welcome to the club, brother.

Offline Autumn2May

• Word Mage
  • Administrator
  • Khaleesi
  • Does the noise in my head bother you?
    • View Profile
    • The Write Way To Type - Writing Blog
« Reply #580 on: June 23, 2012, 09:22:40 PM »
Welcome to all our new members! We hope you enjoy your stay! :)

Offline Mikyz

« Reply #581 on: June 26, 2012, 01:18:28 PM »
I'm Michel, people call me Miky or Mikyz, that's pronounced May-Key and not Mickey. I'm Lebanese and my eyes are always tired. I read as much as time permits, and if I'm not reading I'm either trudging though my Economics classes, putting pen to paper, or watching (good) movies. Basically, I'm enamored by whatever stimulates my imagination, and has the potential to amaze my mind. I also like to ramble about amaze my mind, so here I am.

I don't know if its typical to list our most beloved authors but here it goes anyway: Gene Wolfe, H.P. Lovecraft, George R.R. Martin, Patrick Rothfuss, Jack Vance, Philip K. Dick, Alfred Bester, Neil Gaiman, Roger Zelazny, Harlan Ellison, Alan Moore, Ursula K. Leguin... and most recently Scott Lynch and Mark Lawrence. I have yet to read Joe Abercrombie, I'm still waiting to receive the books.

Cheers.

Offline Autumn2May

• Word Mage
  • Administrator
  • Khaleesi
  • Does the noise in my head bother you?
    • View Profile
    • The Write Way To Type - Writing Blog
« Reply #582 on: June 26, 2012, 02:47:25 PM »
I'm Michel, people call me Miky or Mikyz, that's pronounced May-Key and not Mickey. I'm Lebanese and my eyes are always tired. I read as much as time permits, and if I'm not reading I'm either trudging though my Economics classes, putting pen to paper, or watching (good) movies. Basically, I'm enamored by whatever stimulates my imagination, and has the potential to amaze my mind. I also like to ramble about amaze my mind, so here I am.

I don't know if its typical to list our most beloved authors but here it goes anyway: Gene Wolfe, H.P. Lovecraft, George R.R. Martin, Patrick Rothfuss, Jack Vance, Philip K. Dick, Alfred Bester, Neil Gaiman, Roger Zelazny, Harlan Ellison, Alan Moore, Ursula K. Leguin... and most recently Scott Lynch and Mark Lawrence. I have yet to read Joe Abercrombie, I'm still waiting to receive the books.

Cheers.

Sounds like you're in the right place. Welcome Mikyz! :)

Offline AmyKeeley

« Reply #583 on: July 03, 2012, 08:33:13 PM »
Hello,

I've always loved fantasy, especially anything that has to do with mythology.  Unless it doesn't have romance.  I really love a fantasy story with a good romance in it as well.  There are exceptions, of course.  LOTR, for example (unless you count the movies).  Found this place through Twitter and liked what I read.  Decided to stay and put my dirty feet on the couch join in where I could.

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #584 on: July 04, 2012, 12:30:28 AM »
Welcome Amy, hope you enjoy your time here and we can add to your TBR pile. I like a bit of romance myself.