October 19, 2019, 01:03:07 AM

Author Topic: Say Hi, I'm new thread  (Read 258581 times)

Offline missoularedhead

Re: Say Hi, I'm new thread
« Reply #555 on: June 05, 2012, 03:14:58 PM »
Hi, I'm new thread :P

You're new thread? That's terrific. I only have old thread, and it keeps breaking on me! Welcome!
"Well behaved women rarely make history" ~Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #556 on: June 05, 2012, 07:17:38 PM »
I'm an aspiring author, like most here, who found this website while trying to find info about writing a book. I love reading, mostly mystery, crime, thriller, fantasy, and sci-fi. From joining, I hope to become a better author, and read good books. Oh, I'm also a Texan.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline missoularedhead

« Reply #557 on: June 05, 2012, 08:50:47 PM »
Welcome C. Hill! Grab a cup of coffee (or tea, or wine, or...well, you get the idea) and come on in!

Offline Kupofried

« Reply #558 on: June 06, 2012, 04:52:52 AM »
Hi ya'll,

I thought I'd come by and introduce myself. I happened upon this forum searching for "fantasy fiction forums," and I've read a few interesting topics. There's a notable one about cliche's and whatnot going on somewhere?

I could tell you about myself, but that would by hypocritical. I don't like boxing my characters in to a defined "he is this and that and has been here and done what."

I will, however, let you know a few things I like in what I read & write, because that seems more relevant.

- Imagination (relentless, at times, and off-the-wall absurd is my fav.)

- Spirited dialogue. I likes it when the characters just shove their personalities around with the words they say, especially the words they don't mean to say but do anyway.

- Humor. It's great, and I get rather annoyed by books that are melodramatic or all about absolute seriousness. I prefer this one above all else, yet, I have trouble finding truly hilarious novels. Too many cliches, or sad (sad) attempts.

Aside from fiction, I like self-improvement, business, and how-to books (such as artwork).

Offline Autumn2May

• Word Mage
  • Administrator
  • Khaleesi
  • Does the noise in my head bother you?
    • View Profile
    • The Write Way To Type - Writing Blog
« Reply #559 on: June 06, 2012, 03:40:15 PM »
Welcome to the forums Kupofried! We're glad you found us. :)

Offline Tim Ward

« Reply #560 on: June 07, 2012, 05:58:18 PM »
Hi everybody,

I've been writing seriously for the last five years. My first completed novel draft was a Fantasy book with magic scepters, and has since been trunked in favor of my second attempt, a SF novel I summarize as Firefly crashing on Avatar and waking up 28 Days Later. I just finished draft four yesterday and am taking the day to read some Rise of Empire and blog a bit. I just posted my first forum post over in the self-pub section and thought I'd come over here and introduce myself.

As a writer and reader across SF, F and Horror, I find it hard to be well read in any one genre. I'm hoping to take advantage of people here having read books I haven't and haven't heard of. My favorite Fantasy book was Dragons of Autumn Twilight, and owe my love of Fantasy to that book. Most recently, Michael J. Sullivan is my favorite Fantasy author. Theft of Swords was amazing.

I am also the host of AudioTim, a podcast interviewing authors, editors and publishers in SF, F, and Horror. Listening to podcasts like Dead Robots Society and Dragon Page Cover to Cover was key for inspiring me to pursue my dream of becoming a full time author. I never had enough shows to listen to, so I started my own. Hopefully my show will help inspire you in your writing and to find new authors to read and support.

Nice to meet you all,
Tim
Podcaster and Aspiring SF, F, and Horror Author. Host of AudioTim podcast.

Offline missoularedhead

« Reply #561 on: June 08, 2012, 04:49:34 AM »
Tim, you sound like a busy guy! Glad you found us, and welcome! The writers around here are pretty amazing folks!

Offline Tim Ward

« Reply #562 on: June 08, 2012, 07:26:23 PM »
Tim, you sound like a busy guy! Glad you found us, and welcome! The writers around here are pretty amazing folks!

Yes, quite, but being this busy gets tiresome. Hopefully I'll make enough rounds around here to get to know you folks. Thanks for the welcome!
Podcaster and Aspiring SF, F, and Horror Author. Host of AudioTim podcast.

Offline Roman_Writer

« Reply #563 on: June 10, 2012, 08:42:17 AM »
Hello! I joined 5 minutes ago, intrigued by a tweet about the cover of A Memory of LIght. I'll answer in that thread in a few minutes.

I write alternate history thrillers. Imagining how the different timelines have developed has occupied my mind over several years. It's incredible how fantastic you can get when you let your imagination soar.

On the practical side, I have drafted three full novels and just starting onmy fourth. The first has just been copy edited and I'm thinking about publication routes.

Well, that's me.

I'm now going to explore the forum to find out all about you...

Offline robertbevan

« Reply #564 on: June 10, 2012, 09:27:19 AM »
hi all.

my name is bob. i'm an american living in south korea. married, two kids, all that. i'm a gamer nerd, and i've recently put my first novel out on the kindle. it's a comic fantasy novel about some gamer nerds who get sent into their fantasy world, and it's not nearly as lame as i just made it sound.

Offline missoularedhead

« Reply #565 on: June 10, 2012, 02:48:14 PM »
Hello there, Bob, and welcome!  ;D

Offline robertbevan

« Reply #566 on: June 11, 2012, 05:30:14 AM »
thanks. i like the atmosphere in this place.

Offline Lia

« Reply #567 on: June 11, 2012, 01:48:59 PM »
Hello, hello! I've debated about joining up for a year or so now and decided to take the plunge. My name is Caitrin and I recognize a few familiar faces hereabouts and looking forward to getting to know new people and exploring the forums. I'm busy reading for my Hugo votes (bought a supporting membership just so I could!) and *gaspsurpriseshockandawe* am also a writer just starting to dip my toes in to the whole thing seriously. I only noticed the contest today so I'm hoping to get an entry in before the deadline. It's always hard to describe oneself so I'll just say that lately I've been devouring True Blood, Game of Thrones and Castle and the last book/series I read that I loved was the Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carriger.

Back to my raspberry pancakes though and hello again!

(I have a slight obsession with exclamation points)

Offline professorbeej

« Reply #568 on: June 11, 2012, 05:37:56 PM »
Hi, folks.

Just thought I'd say hello. My name's B.J., and I'm a SF/F writer and college English teacher. I've recently sold my first short to a professional magazine, launched the first part of my co-authored serial steampunk fantasy novel, Nimbus, and put my hybrid-genre SF/F series The Technomage Archive on Kickstarter for crowd-funding. By golly, 2012 is a good year for my writing. or, at least, it's started out that way. I hope it continues. :D

I just love playing with genres--if you couldn't tell--and I'm kind of obsessive about pop culture and geek media. Outside of being awesome, I'm not sure what else to say. So hello!

Offline Phil

« Reply #569 on: June 11, 2012, 09:27:58 PM »
Good evening all.

After much nagging by Laura (Lor) I have signed up here. My name is Phil, I love reading books regardless of their genre although I'm a bit of a crime fanboy. Been getting more into Sci-Fi/Fantasy TV shows as of late, Fringe is divine and Dollhouse is one of my all time favourite shows. I'm the one that Lor managed to wrangle into going to see Thor and have been addicted to the Marvel Cinematic Universe ever since.

I would like to write, I have a vivid enough imagination, but I get distracted easily by.....Ooooooh! Shiny!........sorry, yeah, I get easily distracted by the world around me and never really put pen to paper (or finish anything.... :-[ )

So, yeah. Hey! Laura says your all lovely people and I've known her just about long enough to trust her judgement. I think. Maybe 21yrs isn't enough? That would be awkward.