November 27, 2020, 07:59:01 AM

Author Topic: Say Hi, I'm new thread  (Read 333946 times)

Offline Caith

Re: Say Hi, I'm new thread
« Reply #1440 on: May 22, 2020, 10:31:40 AM »
Hi, I'm new. The monthly comp has drawn me in, looking forward to posting there in a bit.

By way of introducing myself, a bit of bio:

By Their Books Yea Shall Know Them
Recent reads include Sleeping Beauties by Stephen and Owen King, The Last Panther (WW2 tankie memoir, nothing to do with sad demise of big cats), A Little Hatred by Joe Abercrombie (good return to form by Mr Abercrombie), City of Souls by Adrian Tchaikovsky, Final Crisis (DC comics). Just started The Grey Bastards.

Yup, I like fantasy, sci-fi, comics and history. Occassionally I nip over to LA to see how Philip Marlow is doing, as well.

Just Finish The Damn Book Award
Yes, I'm looking at you Patrick Rothfuss. For the love of God, man, its been nearly ten years.

Never Seen Star Wars Type Answer
I've never read anything by David Eddings. Or Raymond Feist. Eh .. or Terry Brooks. Honestly, I'm not a bad person ;)

Favourite Fantasy Story?
A Dozen Tough Jobs by Howard Waldrop.

Tea?
Black, no sugar, slice of ginger, please.

Offline Bender

« Reply #1441 on: May 22, 2020, 11:52:20 AM »
Welcome @Caith. Good to see you here.

Coffee rulez, btw!
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline isos81

« Reply #1442 on: May 22, 2020, 12:58:27 PM »
Welcome Caith, tea guy here :)

This is a very friendly and troll-free forum. Feel free to write about anything and you can also revive old threads, too!
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1443 on: May 22, 2020, 01:04:40 PM »
Welcome!
Feel free to post anywhere, even old threads.

I really liked the way you introduced yourself, and it feels you're going to get lots of ideas for your next books! We like giving recommendations, especially things that aren't usually much talked about hehe ;D

You mention LA, does it mean you're in the USA? We have people from everywhere :D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Caith

« Reply #1444 on: May 23, 2020, 10:16:58 AM »
Hi Bea,

No, 'fraid I'm nowhere near the mean streets of LA. I live beyond The Wall , in the land of forever winter. Or as we like to call it, Scotland.

Offline ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1445 on: May 23, 2020, 10:35:57 AM »
 ;D
And that line is for strangers, I've had great weather 90% of the time I've been north of the Wall ;)

Offline psuppak

• Builder
  • A smile a day keeps evil thoughts away
« Reply #1446 on: May 29, 2020, 03:31:53 PM »
Hi, technically I'm not new, but I have never been here since 2013. A lot had happened.

English isn't my first language, and right now I'm not in the US or the UK. My country doesn't speak English, but I always enjoy reading and writing in English!

I read mostly Fantasy books. Christopher Moore. Neil Gaiman. Tom Holt. And some games with well-written stories. 

Looking forward to discuss things with you folks!
If you have not, smile.

Offline ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1447 on: May 29, 2020, 04:13:17 PM »
Welcome back, @psuppak! :)
We have people here from all over the world, so don't worry about it - feel free to post anywhere, even very old threads hehe

After checking your profile and posts, it seems you're from Thailand? Hey Inky, @S. K. Inkslinger, another one!!
And you entered a monthly contest, here's to you entering again!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 04:15:39 PM by ScarletBea »

Offline psuppak

• Builder
« Reply #1448 on: May 30, 2020, 12:29:03 PM »
Oh hey, there is someone from Thailand too!? Awesome!

And yes, I'll be entering again!
If you have not, smile.

Offline doclazurus

« Reply #1449 on: June 01, 2020, 08:52:06 AM »
HI I'm Doc and I have been reading fantasy and sci/fi since I learned to read. I grew up on Piers Anthony , Allan dean foster , Robert Aspirin and the like.

Offline ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1450 on: June 01, 2020, 09:11:13 AM »
Welcome to the forum @doclazurus!
Feel free to post around, tell us about books your reading, and anything and everything :)

Offline Bender

« Reply #1451 on: June 01, 2020, 01:27:11 PM »
Welcome Doc!
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline psuppak

• Builder
« Reply #1452 on: June 03, 2020, 12:23:58 AM »
Welcome!
If you have not, smile.

Offline isos81

« Reply #1453 on: June 03, 2020, 07:03:48 AM »
Welcome both @psuppak and @doclazurus :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline David A. Werling

« Reply #1454 on: July 07, 2020, 01:53:25 AM »
Hello all. I'm new here. I followed a rabbit down a hole, took a pill, and now I'm feeling kind of small... intimidated a little by this crowd of glorious lords, ladies, wizards and other various and sundry folks. I hope to make some new friends, learn a lot, and broaden my horizons.

I've loved fantasy ever since I was in sixth grade and read The Hobbit, soon followed by the Lord of the Rings, and when I was in seventh grade and I read The Hobbit, soon followed by the Lord of the Rings, and when I was in eighth grade and I read The Hobbit, soon followed by the Lord of the Rings... yeah, you get where this is going, don't you?

In college I eventually discovered Dickens, Jane Austin, Herman Melville, and... J.D. Salinger... OH G-DS NO! Just kidding, guys. I still don't get that book, and probably never will... but I've always returned to my first love, fantasy. Sure I spiced it up a bit with David Eddings, C. S. Lewis, R. A. Salvatory, Terry Brooks, and a bunch of others.

Yip, I still play Dungeons & Dragons. Why should anyone ever give up that hobby! There's no better way to bond with your friends than leading them into diabolical traps, getting them ambushed by a horde of hobgoblins, and making their level three characters confront a level twelve green dragon during the second gaming session. Oh the fond memories... "No, d#@N it, you cannot keep that cloak of invisibility with plus five AC, plus five dexterity, plus five stealth, darkvision for 120 feet, and dispel light for 120 feet that your former DM let you have... that's not a cloak, that's a god! ... wait, don't storm off like that..."

Now that I've grown up, though, I discovered the wonderful world of video games! It started out inconspicuous enough, playing Final Fantasy XIV with my wife, then I discovered... THE SOULS GAMES! The first one was Bloodborne, and then I was addicted. I know what you're doing right now... you're checking my profiling to see when I was born... that's right, 1969. Before you judge, just know this... I beat cursed chalice dungeon Amygdala (pre-patch) not once, but twice. Yeah that's right, I got gud. (Well, I had to wrap my wrists for weeks... carpal tunnel is real, man.) Seriously, though, video gaming is a compelling media to bring to life the fantasy genre. The Witcher game introduced me to Andrzej Sapkowski, after all. How did I not know about him before?

Anyway, I could go on forever like this about my favorite subject... me. I'm really talkative, even with the keyboard. Thanks for having me!