October 17, 2019, 05:43:47 PM

Author Topic: Say Hi, I'm new thread  (Read 258435 times)

Offline Nerf

Re: Say Hi, I'm new thread
« Reply #1095 on: February 05, 2016, 02:45:29 AM »
I think success, at least by the standard of selling a lot of books is kind of arbitrary.

A lot of it follows a formula, like romance fiction (or the pulp era in the kind of fiction this site covers).

But you can come to ask yourself the question:  why did this make it big, and not that?

An example is a book by Eve Forward, Villains By Necessity.  It was well written, had great characters, a plot that made sense, lots of action, and almost miraculously wrapped up in ONE book.

Then Drizzt sells umpteen million books and perennially makes the NY Times bestseller list.  Just never made any sense to me.  And I don't think I've ever physically met another person who has ever read that Eve Forward book.  But people who don't read much fiction know who Drizzt is.

So maybe you write something really good, and a butterfly didn't flap it's wings in Brazil six weeks earlier and your work goes nowhere.  But in another world some unknowable random factors aligned and your book made it big.  And in that other world no one ever looked at a book by an unknown J.K. Rowling.

Offline Dimitrirex

« Reply #1096 on: February 05, 2016, 10:09:47 PM »
Hello all new to the site and to forums in general.

Bit about myself (I posted this as a new thread before I found this introduction thread):

I have recently finished my first novel which has taken a year to write/edit but a decade to finally start.

In my teens I wrote loads but it was all pretty bad then I had a child and life got in the way. When I turned 32 my girlfriend, tired of hearing me moaning about wanting to be a writer, brought me a leather bound note book to finally start drafting my world. 6 months later I had it crammed with ideas, back story, history and even minute details I don't think I will ever be able to refer to in future novels but has helped me to form the world.

When I started typing it I had a plan but then the more I type the more I realised the story has a mind of it's own and led me to places I had not thought of. When I wanted A to go to B to get C I found it ended up more A went to D back to B crossed paths with E and ended up at Z!

Now I have finished the manuscript (it is being proof read at the moment by a friend) I found myself at a loss. It was the world I love to escape to and I cant remember what I used to do before. I started to look up what to do next to get published and found this site and thought I would be brave an actually talk to other writers. Other then my partner I have not really talked about my work to people and feel embarrassed/a failure/dreamer when I do. I have noticed that seems a common thread with writers that we think our work isn’t good enough even if others tell us different.

The question want to ask though is, when do we call ourselves writers? Is it when we get published or are we writers just because we have dared to pick up that pen or keyboard and commit to finishing that story?

I love all fantasy but epic is my prefered choice. Bit of a geek (my proud and joy at the moment is seven inch robocop figure I just brought on ebay which stands on my desk, gun pointed at me to make sure I write) and Batman and Judge Dredd are my role models.

Offline Blackthorn

« Reply #1097 on: February 09, 2016, 05:31:36 AM »
I probably should have posted here before now, I've been around only about two weeks.

Lets see, I'm in my early twenties, American, and soon to be attending school to train in aviation maintenance.

I grew up with a love of reading. I used to read all of the current novels, and some not so current ones. I grew up alongside the harry potter series, and have read the series several times. When I was in my teens I read a dragonlance novel I found at a yard sale, and it inspired me to write. However, it wasn't until I had finished the Inheritance cycle that I truly made any attempt at writing.

Lately, I haven't read much and I'm way behind in current reading. My writing has developed slowly and it still has a lot of room to grow. I have a problem of having amazing stories in my head, but my brain wont transfer to paper. Also, as you will  probably notice, I have a bit of a lack in grammatical knowledge

I have an unlikely interest in research. Most of what I read these days aren't novels, but fantasy references. (mythical bestiaries, mythology. etc..)

I've been occasionally reading articles on the main site for two years now, but just recently decided to join in the discussions here. I enjoy a little bit of everything, steampunk, scifi, basically all kinds of fantasy, and a few realistic fiction novels. A few of my favorite things to read: The Hobbit, The Mysterious Island of Dr. Moreau, Beowulf, Hogfather, and recently A Natural history of dragons.

I hope to have a lot of fun, and intelligent and enlightening discussion here.

Offline Kloxek

« Reply #1098 on: February 09, 2016, 08:47:12 AM »
Hello, I am Andrew. I have browsed the forum a few times and decided to join finally.

I am actually pretty new to reading fantasy. Honestly I didn't read much at all before jumping head first into the realm of fantasy books. The TV show Game of Thrones got me interested in reading fantasy. I knew it was based on a book series. So around September of last year as I was patiently waiting for the new season to come around and I thought I could quench my thirst by reading the series the show is based upon.

After some quick searching on the internet I found the series was call A Song of Ice and Fire. Some further research told me each book was roughly 1,000 pages! Considering up to this point in my life(I was 22 in september of 2015) I had only ever read a couple short books that we had to read in school and The Harry Potter series when I was younger it seemed very overwhelming to read a thousand page book.... And there are 5 of them in the series. But that thirst for more from that world drove me to buy the first book in the series.

Long story short I fell in love with the A Song of Ice and Fire series. I loved how much more detail and backstory you got in the books. It felt like a different world. It was almost like I finally got to read the true story, and the show now became a screwed up and shallow version of the true story(Still a great show). I finished the whole series in no time. Since finishing the series I have also read A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms, the King Killer Chronicles and am about halfway through The Way of Kings. I have also read a couple non fiction books on different topics.

I am deeply in love with the fantasy genre right now. I am reading everyday. Once I finish a series I move to the next one right away. I already have multiple books from other series that i will start once I am caught up in the Stormlight Archive. And it has opened me up to reading anything I find interesting. I find myself constantly reading everyday. Whenever I have free time. I cant wait to discuss all sorts of different topics with you guys.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1099 on: February 09, 2016, 09:55:44 AM »
We love newbies! :D

Feel free to join in, ressurrect old threads commenting on books you're reading now, and for something a little different, go read and vote on the stories of our Monthly Writing Contest - and the best story of 2015!
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: February 09, 2016, 11:26:27 PM »
Welcome all and thank you for great intros -come and play with us and have fun ;D
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Blackthorn

« Reply #1101 on: February 10, 2016, 04:18:46 AM »
We love newbies! :D

Feel free to join in, ressurrect old threads commenting on books you're reading now, and for something a little different, go read and vote on the stories of our Monthly Writing Contest - and the best story of 2015!

This is one of the reasons I finally joined. I kept seeing the contest winners stories on the main site and decided id like to try my hand at writing a short story based on a theme.

Offline Shay_Fox

• Builder
  • I am me loving and caring.. I love to making since
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: February 10, 2016, 09:37:47 PM »
@Kloxek welcome on a F-F forum.  ;D

Offline elliellie01

« Reply #1103 on: March 19, 2016, 10:53:26 AM »
Hi! I'm new!

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: March 19, 2016, 03:43:38 PM »
Hi! I'm new!

Hello New! Hope you enjoy our humour with an U!
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #1105 on: March 20, 2016, 04:58:04 PM »
Hi! I'm new!

Hi, @elliellie01!
I have to ask, with two Ellies, why not elliellie02?
But wlecome.

(And don't fret about the "how to post" thing. When I started, I had zero clue and get screwing things up. Of course, most forum friends will say I'm still screwing things up, but at least I know how to do it properly!  ;) ;D )
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Vanagandr

« Reply #1106 on: March 29, 2016, 02:16:02 PM »
Hello all.
Past where the river bends.
Past where the silo stands.
Past where they paint the houses.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #1107 on: March 29, 2016, 02:25:37 PM »
Hey there, welcome to the forum!
Come in and read, post, participate. Anything you'd like to tell us about you?

And angora goats? You'll fit right in ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Peat

« Reply #1108 on: April 01, 2016, 11:56:16 PM »
Hi! I'm new.

Hoping to steal some writing tips, share some of my own, and find plenty of new books to read.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #1109 on: April 02, 2016, 12:50:23 AM »
Hi! I'm new.

Hoping to steal some writing tips, share some of my own, and find plenty of new books to read.

Hi, @Peat! Glad to have you join us.
Look for the King's Paws in General Topics and slide om over to get a pint.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com