July 11, 2020, 08:24:11 AM

Author Topic: Hobbies  (Read 13230 times)

Offline Lejays17

Re: Hobbies
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2013, 12:55:00 PM »
Resurrecting an old topic  ;)

I do cross stitch as a "main" hobby.  All sorts of things, from cards to large pictures.  I buy a couple of magazines a month and they often have a free kit, which I generally make up into cards.

At the moment I'm doing a set of My Little Pony cards - my 5 yo niece is very into them at the moment, so I thought I'd do a card for her birthday.  They're fun to do, bright and cheerful and quite simple to do.  I was origianlly only going to do the one for the card, but I've now done 4 1/2 of the main 6 characters...

I usually do people or "quirky" scenes/houses.  Mostly I go "I like this picture" and that's what I do.  Not all of what I've done is on display at home, mostly bevuase we don't have that much wall space.  ;D

I do this because I can do it while watching TV, and it gives my hands something to do that isn't snacking on rubbish!
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables you to be wrong with authority." The Doctor - Wheel in Space

"It's not destiny!  It's a crazy scientist with a giant snake!" Sinbad - For Whom the Egg Shatters

Offline blendyface

« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2013, 04:10:04 PM »

I do cross stitch as a "main" hobby.  All sorts of things, from cards to large pictures.  I buy a couple of magazines a month and they often have a free kit, which I generally make up into cards.

At the moment I'm doing a set of My Little Pony cards - my 5 yo niece is very into them at the moment, so I thought I'd do a card for her birthday.  They're fun to do, bright and cheerful and quite simple to do.  I was origianlly only going to do the one for the card, but I've now done 4 1/2 of the main 6 characters...

I usually do people or "quirky" scenes/houses.  Mostly I go "I like this picture" and that's what I do.  Not all of what I've done is on display at home, mostly bevuase we don't have that much wall space.  ;D

I do this because I can do it while watching TV, and it gives my hands something to do that isn't snacking on rubbish!

Semi-ressurecting. So now this topic's like, demi-zombie?

My main hobby is drawing people - anywhere, it's addictive. Got it off my grandad (who attended art school in his retirement, and is therefore way more qualified an artist). I despise drawing objects now! I'd love love love to learn more about painting w/acrylics + oils to do portraits and such, although my previous attempts have been hilariously poor. Womp womp. As an aside, I'm also super interested in character design/animation  8)

Offline Lor

• Pictish Wonder
  • Master Namer
  • Queen of the Pirates
    • View Profile
    • The Marketplace of Opinions
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2013, 04:26:09 PM »

I will say now that your cards are AMAZING!

Semi-ressurecting. So now this topic's like, demi-zombie?

My main hobby is drawing people - anywhere, it's addictive. Got it off my grandad (who attended art school in his retirement, and is therefore way more qualified an artist). I despise drawing objects now! I'd love love love to learn more about painting w/acrylics + oils to do portraits and such, although my previous attempts have been hilariously poor. Womp womp. As an aside, I'm also super interested in character design/animation  8)

That's because you're a creepy creeper. Now I can't sit in a coffee shop without looking at everyone else and wondering if they'd make a good sketch subject.
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye." - Miss Piggy

Offline blendyface

« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2013, 05:15:28 PM »
I KNOW!
I wasn't sure whether to make the inevitable creeper comment myself, or to leave it to somebody else  :D Trust me, once you really get into drawing people you totally forget/don't care that you're a creeper

Offline Lejays17

« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2013, 01:01:24 PM »
I'd love to be able to draw, but my talents just don't lie that way - part of the reason I do cross stitch is that it's like a type of painting, in that you put colours on the "canvas" and at the end there's a recognisable picture.

Lor, I'm pleased you liked the card, it was fun to do.
"Logic, my dear Zoe, merely enables you to be wrong with authority." The Doctor - Wheel in Space

"It's not destiny!  It's a crazy scientist with a giant snake!" Sinbad - For Whom the Egg Shatters

Offline blendyface

« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2013, 07:59:40 PM »
PS: forgot gaming! If I had more nerdily inclined friends, I'd be having LAN parties/playing multiplayer first-person shooters on the reg.

Offline DarthDandelion

« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2013, 06:42:25 AM »
Gaming (video games and card games), comic books, photography, school (I know it's a weird hobby, but I love it anyway :p). I'm also now getting into painting and sculpture. So we'll see how that goes :)

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2015, 06:49:20 AM »
Mines Archery and Cycling and finding interesting old topics hehe

A lot of people like to cross stich and of course reading I see hehe I'm not sure what LARP is
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 06:58:59 AM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2015, 11:20:28 AM »
LARP means live action role playing. Like dnd, but you dress up the part and actually bash each others heads in  :P
No personal experience with it though.

My hobbies change like the weather in western europe (a lot)
Reading, writing, games, board games, travelling, sewing, hiking, camping,...
One day I focus on one, the other I'm totally into the other. I'm a proper geek though and there's nothing bad about it. ^^

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2015, 01:04:04 PM »
Reading :D

'Before', and hopefully 'After':
Running --> not much, just 5k once a week
Knitting --> although I now have too many jumpers, so plan to 'expand'
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2015, 01:37:12 PM »
travelling, sewing, hiking, camping,...

You sound like a ranger all you need is an animal companion  :)

I didn't realise so many of you knitted and sewing, we should see the finished products  :)

Larp looks like a laugh
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 01:39:13 PM by Eclipse »

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #56 on: July 04, 2015, 02:17:46 PM »
Re: LARP, if you haven't seen this documentary, you need to:

Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 04, 2015, 02:27:05 PM »
travelling, sewing, hiking, camping,...

You sound like a ranger all you need is an animal companion  :)

I didn't realise so many of you knitted and sewing, we should see the finished products  :)

Larp looks like a laugh

Gotta know what you write about :p Nothing better to write about adventure than having one yourself.   ;D
I sew my own animal companions plushies, made a quaggan plush only some weeks ago.  :D

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #58 on: July 04, 2015, 02:36:03 PM »

A couple of examples :D

At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 04, 2015, 03:15:18 PM »

A couple of examples :D

Those are awesome ! is the second one for your niece?