October 13, 2019, 11:57:16 PM

Author Topic: hi all  (Read 3360 times)

Offline Slaykomimi

hi all
« on: August 07, 2018, 04:48:51 PM »
hi all,

after I got introduced to reading books instead of comics and playing videogames I got hooked up and started with phantasy books recently. Sadly I am a very slow and easy to distract reader but I try my best to keep focus and progress the books I started, some books I read in a week and some take months.

I mainly registered cause I am interested in finding new books to read. I am very very picky about books, games and so on (I only dropped 2 books so far but thats because I haven´t read so many yet). My friends allready call me a diva for dropping games after 10 minutes of gameplay. But when I consume a piece of media I enjoy it to the point I get obsessed with it.

Also I want to improve my writing skills, I always wanted to publish some of the stuff swirling through my head. I look forward to read more and also join the writing contests to improve my skills in writing, there are no texts I wrote till now but I want to learn it. I also thought it´s a good idea to start with smaller texts and not write a whole book just to get smashed by the critique about how bad it is written.

I see many errors in stuff I write, mostly due to lazyness, some due to not beeing very skilled in writing. One of my biggest problems (as you can see in this post) is that I start many sentences with "I" or other repetatives.

English isn´t my native language, which you all could probably tell by my post but I still try to read only in english (if it is the language of origin because I am no fan of translations).

I found this site today, read some articles, browsed through the forum and it caught my interest so I registered in the hope to learn many new things and make great experiences.

I guess this post is allready long enough, I really need to get rid of starting nearly every sentence with "I" because I think it´s rude, selfish and definetly not a way someone who aspires to write texts should write.
Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind.

-Edward d. Morrison

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Godling
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
Re: hi all
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 05:03:12 PM »
Welcome to the forums! If you read fantasy and want to write some of your own then that's all you need and more to fit right in!  ;D
You can find stories on my Patreon
I'm also on Twitter and the Book of Faces

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 07:11:42 PM »
Welcome, you've come to the right place :D

Feel free to read and post, even on old threads, start your own thread asking for recommendations, and give our monthly writing contest a try.

Where are you from (if you'd like to tell us)?
We have people from all over the world!
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 09:35:35 PM »
Greetings!
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline NedMarcus

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 01:16:52 AM »
Welcome!

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 08:32:41 AM »
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline Slaykomimi

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 10:01:19 AM »
hi everyone,

thanks for all the greetings.
@ScarletBea I am from Austria, so my native language is german, but even in that language I often start sentences mostly with I.

Something I forgot to ask in my original post is, will the Verification always be necessary or is it just for new members?
It´s ok to fill a captcha or answer a question but 2 questions and one hardly to read captcha is a little bit annoying.

-Edward d. Morrison

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 10:14:41 AM »
Ooooh we didn't have anyone from Austria yet - we're expanding our world domination 8)

The verification is only valid for the first 5 posts, I think, so you just need to post more :)

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2018, 06:58:35 AM »
Welcome , can you tell me more about your username? What has Komimi done to be slayed?  Can I ask you more than two questions?  How did you find this forum?  Which Fantasy authors do you enjoy best ?

Do you want recommendations to novels and see your TBR pile grow ( think before answering this one 😛)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 07:03:18 AM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Slaykomimi

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2018, 08:53:40 AM »
@Eclipse that´s my old Counterstrike username. We always played in school (could explain my grades) and I always used Nekomimi as name, nekomimi are in japanese Mangas and Animes catpeople, usually with catears and tail. Than a friend told me that I need to beef it up and sound more aggressive like the band slayer, so we combined it. Since than I used it as Nick in forums, games, etc. So basically it´s just a combination of words.

I found this forum by googling fantasy forums, a thread on reddit recomended this one especially, since there are many articles about interviews with authors and articles about writing.

Sadly I haven´t read much fantasy yet. My first fantasy book was the hobbit, I wanted to start with the ring trilogy cause everybody told me how good lotr is and I didn´t want to watch the movies (now I want to avoid them even more because I am a person who prefers the original source instead of adaptions). I also wanted to read it in english but all my friends told me that would be insane and gave me the books in gertman, so I read hobbit + the ring trilogy and was like, it is very good, definetly good to read, I can see how it influenced many many people around the world and saw many references in videogames I played before were made to the ring saga. But I thought there must be better books so I googled some lists of recomended fantasy books and one title that looked promising was the Sword of truth, so I read it and was pretty amazed by it. Now I try to read works of many authors instead of series by series to get a better overwiev about diferent writing styles, diferent magical worlds, systems, etc.

Before fantasy, the only books I´ve read were books about financial systems, economics, industries, self improving, and so on. But I always had more interest in fantasy stuff, as a kid I enjoyed more unrealistic shows, cartoons and videogames. I still prefer mainly story driven RPGs over other games, most Mangas I´ve read were fantasy based or at least had some fantasy/supernatural elements and so on.

I see "realistic" stuff as less creative than self created worlds. People always tell me the mainstream focus turns more and more to realistic things than to fantasy (Cartoons for kids beeing more about friends helping each other instead of a Cat and a Mouse fighting each other, Animes more about little schoolgirl drama instead of epic stories in vast fantastic worlds, Videogames more and more about some generic soldier stuff instead of fighting for your beliefs in an unfair world). But in my opinion people just can´t relate anymore to anything that is not like directly from their lifes. Sure it is more abstract, but sadly many people just don´t see the connections anymore if it is not exactly the same thing. I mostly see this when I give advice to people, they always tell me I was never in that situation and tell me that my opinion doesn´t count. Than I reply that I saw, heard, read and had similar situations, the object was just different and these people just don´t understand it, it is more like a metaphor, giving an example on how others faced similar problems, but people just don´t understand this anymore, about how to apply this to their situation. And of course I have no situation in my mind to back up my thesis  ;D

Haha I really drifted away from the original question, anyway I can´t decide for a favorite author yet since I only read the works of 2 fantasy authors and I am now at Age of Myth by Michael J Sullivan. It would be unfair to pick a favorite fantasy author at the current state because my experience in fantasy literature is very small right now, but so far I enjoyed every book I read. I dropped some books but I think it was mostly a phase and will pick some of them up again later. One book I didn´t enjoy, which I read about halfway through before returning it was a Wizard of Earthsea, I know it´s a classic and all but I just couldn´t stand the main character, especially at endagering his friends and all just to be a show off with his fancy magic. I am sure the book goes on about how he learned from his failures and becomes a great sorcerer or something (only because it was spoilered in the beginning) but at that point I really didn´t care anymore because of the way he was acting, kind of harsh saying that about some fictional kid about the age of 14 because I am sure many people (including me) did lots of stupid things at about this age.

-Edward d. Morrison

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2018, 04:41:21 PM »
Hello just checking if you’re enjoying the forum ? Is there anything we can help you with? Do you think the mods are doing a  half satisfactory job? Are the members polite ?
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2018, 05:17:05 PM »
Hi and welcome!

Gibt es auch deutschsprachige Fantasy Autoren die du magst?
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2018, 07:02:33 PM »
(ooooh I understand that ;D)

Offline Slaykomimi

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2018, 07:44:28 PM »
@Eclipse Thank you very much for asking.
There is nothing I could complain about, I rarely ever saw such an open minded and welcoming comunity as here. I ran in no trouble and everything is nice and more importand have their own minds while beeing respectful to the opinions of others. It is a very peaceful and jolly place and I like spending my time here.

Ich hab noch keine deutschen Fantasy Autoren gelesen, aber zurzeit Lese ich nebenbei dein Gehirn weiß mehr, als du denkst von Niels Birbaumer, einem Österreichischen Psychologen und Neurowissenschaftler. Ich habe mir vor kurzem auch die gesammelten Werke von Siegmund Freud gekauft, leider fehlen ein paar Texte über Sexualität aber die hol ich mir einfach irgendwo anders her. Aber deutsche Autoren würde ich auf deutsch lesen.

For the people who understood it, or at least recognice some names, something increased my interest (I don´t know what increased it) in psychology, thought patterns, the brain, the mind, development of the mind, psyche and personality, so if someone has a book to recommend I would appreciate it.

-Edward d. Morrison

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2018, 08:37:56 AM »
Looking at your latest posts, I'd say you're fitting right in ;D

As for books about the brain, I looked through my lists but I really couldn't find any that applied, even though I thought I'd read some. They all seem to focus on physics or psychology, rather than actual neuroscience