October 30, 2020, 04:37:08 AM

Author Topic: Hi  (Read 522 times)

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • Nerd Empire
Hi
« on: September 24, 2020, 03:38:07 PM »
Hi I'm JR. I think.  I might be Bradley.
I'm terribly indecisive. In fact crippling indecision is probably my greatest talent, followed closely by an unheard of capacity for procrastination. Who am I? What am I? What are names? I blame having read too much existential philosophy which might leave anyone teetering on the edge of the deadly abyss of nihilism

Anyway, I'm currently reading the last Islington book, the second SA Chakraborty book, and the third Bennett book, but given that I've decided Bennett is a fascist and an apologist for imperialism, I might not be able to finish that one. I've only seen google-search pictures of Chakraborty, but i think I might have a crush on her.

My greatest accomplishment is convincing a friend of mine who is a Sanderson fanboy to read WoT, which he did and got waaaaayyyyyy into it for the last 8 months, texting every day with questions. It's especially funny b/c I actually haven't finished the final WoT book b/c I didn't like it. But I feel very accomplished for having produced a new WoT fan.

Ummm.... I think that's all I have to say.

Offline isos81

Re: Hi
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 03:50:41 PM »
Welcome bakc Bradley! Nice to see you here too :)

Send your friend this link, and he'll find all the answes :)

http://www.encyclopaedia-wot.org/
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 04:09:05 PM »
ooohhh yeah I was using that regularly to answer his questions. He needed me to do it though, indexing exactly what chapter of what book he was on at a given moment to screen for spoilers.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2020, 04:27:04 PM »
Hurrah, he's back :D

*big hug*

(Bennett and imperialism? I didn't read it like that ???)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 04:39:31 PM »
Hurrah, he's back :D

*big hug*

(Bennett and imperialism? I didn't read it like that ???)

Omg the first book just barely redeemed itself in like the final scene but that second book was pretty unapologetic.

The protagonists are agents of a super-bureaucratic empire with flavors of British India, violently repressing all religion and religious iconography of Islam-flavored satellites of their empire.  The gods themselves are pretty insane, but the protagonists are still basically working to establish the unquestioned authority of an extreme authoritarian government (with the exception of Vohannes from the first book, who was an equally disturbing Kantian "peace through capitalism" figure... even if capitalism meant weapons trading??).  Anyway, yeahhhhh my facial expression was this through the entirety of the first two books:  :o and sometimes this:   >:(

That said, he's kind of a sign of the times... I probably only read it that way b/c I'm old and I remember the world before the party lines became... whatever it is today.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 04:45:26 PM by J.R. Darewood »

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2020, 12:31:32 AM »
He's back, he's back! Does this mean I don't need to do the sacrifice after all? But what am I supposed to do with this goat?

Bennett and imperialism is an interesting topic. There's definitely a lot to unpack about imperialism and the violence of it in Divine Cities - while the people that Shara represents are now the oppressors, they have become so after throwing off the oppression of the gods. I saw it as less apology for imperialism, and more a conscious dissection of how violence begets violence, and doing unto others just causes more damage. The whole arc of the trilogy is very much turning away from exacting (understandable) revenge, and trying to come to a greater understanding of how people live different lives with different beliefs, trying to find a way to bring everyone together a little more peacefully. Overcoming the cycle of violence, rather than perpetrating it.

It becomes more obvious over the whole trilogy, but I feel like that was there even in the first one - that sense of "wait, we are doing to them what they did to us...". At the time I read the first book, I felt it had strong resonance with the Treaty of Versailles and its role in the inevitability of the Second World War, but looking at it now, I see strong tones of "ok, but you see why Islamic folk are angry, right?"

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2020, 12:47:40 AM »
He's back, he's back! Does this mean I don't need to do the sacrifice after all? But what am I supposed to do with this goat?

You could milk it and then make goat cheese from the milk-- it goes great on pizza and salads!

That said, the correct ritual by which to summon me is with an offering of hand made gelato, preferably almond fig or greek yogurt-matcha (freshly made nitrogen ice cream can be a substitute if that's not availale), in a circle framed with very manly smelling scented candles like "pine" or "mahogany" or "sandalwood" actually sandalwood is best, then toss chunks of dark chocolate into the air while chanting an antifa protest chant, or something like "el pueblo unido jamas será vencido" while wearing a hoodie and a handkerchief covering your face, or a gas mask for tear gas.

If that's too elaborate you could just place a custard mango passionfruit tart on your windowsill and I'll probably appear within 36 hours or however long it takes to get a flight.

Bennett and imperialism is an interesting topic. There's definitely a lot to unpack about imperialism and the violence of it in Divine Cities - while the people that Shara represents are now the oppressors, they have become so after throwing off the oppression of the gods. I saw it as less apology for imperialism, and more a conscious dissection of how violence begets violence, and doing unto others just causes more damage. The whole arc of the trilogy is very much turning away from exacting (understandable) revenge, and trying to come to a greater understanding of how people live different lives with different beliefs, trying to find a way to bring everyone together a little more peacefully. Overcoming the cycle of violence, rather than perpetrating it.

It becomes more obvious over the whole trilogy, but I feel like that was there even in the first one - that sense of "wait, we are doing to them what they did to us...". At the time I read the first book, I felt it had strong resonance with the Treaty of Versailles and its role in the inevitability of the Second World War, but looking at it now, I see strong tones of "ok, but you see why Islamic folk are angry, right?"

Yeah he gave a hint of that in the first book. A tiny hint.  At the end.  But that second book... woah.... it was kind of like when people make starship troopers 2 not noticing that the first movie was meant to be a critique of you know, everything they were celebrating un-ironically in the sequel. Which is fair because most people who watched the first movie didn't notice anyway. I just kept thinking of the fate of Pakistanis in post-Gandhi India and the Partition as i was reading
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 01:00:43 AM by J.R. Darewood »

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2020, 08:06:09 AM »
As usual, cupi elaborated better than I ever could :D
My general impression was him presenting a situation and then going against it, a "there needs to be another way" position.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2020, 01:40:18 PM »

You could milk it and then make goat cheese from the milk-- it goes great on pizza and salads!

That said, the correct ritual by which to summon me is with an offering of hand made gelato, preferably almond fig or greek yogurt-matcha (freshly made nitrogen ice cream can be a substitute if that's not availale), in a circle framed with very manly smelling scented candles like "pine" or "mahogany" or "sandalwood" actually sandalwood is best, then toss chunks of dark chocolate into the air while chanting an antifa protest chant, or something like "el pueblo unido jamas será vencido" while wearing a hoodie and a handkerchief covering your face, or a gas mask for tear gas.

...thanks, I'm literally helpless with laughter. ;D

Yeah he gave a hint of that in the first book. A tiny hint.  At the end.  But that second book... woah.... it was kind of like when people make starship troopers 2 not noticing that the first movie was meant to be a critique of you know, everything they were celebrating un-ironically in the sequel. Which is fair because most people who watched the first movie didn't notice anyway. I just kept thinking of the fate of Pakistanis in post-Gandhi India and the Partition as i was reading

Hmmm, I don't remember getting that feeling, but maybe I was steeped in what I was expecting to see? I felt that the horrible things that happened in the second book were very much framed as horrible things - the very things we wanted to avoid, the things we feared would happen, and here they are, happening. Now I'm wondering how much that fantasy-trilogy-framework is in play here. (i.e. Book 1: threat appears; book 2: threat manifests in full destructive power, seems like "good guys" have lost; book 3: threat is defeated, but gosh, at what cost?) So if "threat" is "the cycle of violence churning people into the mud", then shit needs to get terrible in book 2. Alas.

But I don't know! Maybe I was reading with a specific focus to my thinking that wasn't actually present as strongly in the text as I read it being. Or maybe my coming at the tangle of issues from a theoretical/political angle gave me one perspective on the text that simple doesn't align with your more practical-experience angle? (Theory and practice not lining up? Let's all clutch our pearls!)

Offline Bender

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2020, 03:57:51 PM »
Ya'll know we don't let anybody in here. Only those with stellar backgrounds, high IQs or those who can afford a healthy "donation" for the site's cause.   8)
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2020, 07:42:27 PM »
Ya'll know we don't let anybody in here. Only those with stellar backgrounds, high IQs or those who can afford a healthy "donation" for the site's cause.   8)

Well I've been trying to donate, rather unsuccessfully thusfar:

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/44579757/ns/health-mens_health/t/sperm-bank-redheads-not-wanted/#.X2453mhKhm8

Offline Rostum

• Strange Turnip Person and He Who Waits
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2020, 09:29:50 PM »
Welcome back

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2020, 01:03:44 PM »
Yay JR  really good to know you're still around and hopefully safe and well. :)

“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2020, 04:10:25 PM »
Thanks @Rostum !
@Lady Ty  is that a new Leigh Bardugo quote?

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2020, 12:58:27 AM »
Had it for a while, JR, but maybe needs a change soon. All the demons walk around with tails, horns and fangs on full display and nobody even cares now. But should not criticise I binged Lucifer recently and loved every minute. ;)
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic