September 25, 2018, 10:12:24 PM

Author Topic: Hi!  (Read 910 times)

Offline Toby Frost

Hi!
« on: July 05, 2018, 11:10:27 PM »
Hello, I'm Toby and I read and write books. I've read the articles here for years, and I thought it was time I joined the forum.

My favourite authors are Raymond Chandler, George Orwell and Mervyn Peake. I used to just read science fiction and fantasy, but currently it's whatever seems interesting. At the moment, I'm reading Black Man by Richard Morgan and Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi. They're both really good.

Writing-wise, I've written seven novels. Six are a series of SF comedies. The seventh was a Warhammer 40,000 novel about the Imperial Guard. At the moment, I'm trying to write an epic fantasy and getting distracted by podcasting and writing about spaceships.

And for added geekiness I also make model kits!

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
Re: Hi!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 11:52:36 PM »
Hi Toby welcome to FF, we are glad to see new people here. ;D
This is a friendly forum, have a good look around and please join in anywhere you like. Do not hesitate to ask questions about how forum works or something puzzling you, someone will be happy to answer.
There is a thread called Small Press and Self Published where you can tell us more about your novels. Sorry can't link because on my phone but easy to find in Home index.
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 07:56:11 AM »
Welcome Toby :)

I second what Lady Ty said, please feel free to post in any thread, even old ones, if you find the discussions interesting.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Toby Frost

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2018, 08:54:39 AM »
Thanks guys, I'll take a look!

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 10:41:16 AM »
Hi Toby, welcome to FF!

Ooh, you wrote a Catachan novel. Excellent! I'm sure more than a few of us make model kits around here...and chain mail...and other geeky things...

Offline enawilliam

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2018, 11:08:09 AM »
Hello
i am new on this forum

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 11:30:41 AM »
Hi Toby I’ve read one of your short stories in Sharkpunk anthology
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Toby Frost

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2018, 04:31:04 PM »
Thanks guys - the Sharkpunk anthology was totally random but a lot of fun. The same characters from that story appear in the Space Captain Smith books.

The Catachan book was very interesting to do: writing for hire was a real discipline in itself. I could ramble on about it for quite a while, but basically it was cool to see Warhammer 40,000 from the other side - not as a consumer but as a writer.

Persepolis was really good, by the way!

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2018, 06:09:13 AM »
I ***LOVE***  George Orwell!!!

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018, 09:25:26 AM »
Hello
i am new on this forum

Hello and welcome @enawilliam sorry to be late, your post got lost in the middle of Toby's conversation.  ;)
Do have a look around all the different subjects and please join in any threads that you like. Or drop into our tavern, The King's Paws for a drink and general chat.
What are your favourite kinds of fantasy?
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic