July 04, 2020, 12:19:16 AM

Author Topic: Hello from SugoiMe!  (Read 1975 times)

Offline SugoiMe

Hello from SugoiMe!
« on: May 20, 2015, 09:56:45 AM »
Hi everyone!  I'm a Canadian Assistant Language Teacher living in southern Japan, and I'll be moving back to Canada in July.  I stumbled upon the blog for fantasy-faction and was instantly intrigued.  I confess I'm not an avid reader, but I do like LOTR and some of the Dragonlance Series.  I'm in the process of writing an epic trilogy and hope to publish in the next year or two.

Anyway, nice to meet you all and looking forward to contributing to the forums and learning what you all have to say about all things fantasy!
"And then the time came when the risk it took to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anais Nin

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from SugoiMe!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 12:39:22 AM »
Kon'nichiwa from a forum frequenter currently on a trip through Japan (staying at Nakano, Tokyo atm). Headed home tomorrow though and today is packing day. One of my friends with me would like to teach English in Japan. Any tips on how he should achieve this would be awesome :)

I'm looking forward to hearing more from your trilogy-in-progress, so redirecting you to the discussions in the writer's corner and the monthly competitions is the thing ^^

Henry Dale in Japan

Offline SugoiMe

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 08:45:43 AM »
Wow, Tokyo, that's definitely a whole other world compared to where I'm living.  I'm in the countryside surrounded by rice fields and elderly people. lol  I definitely recommend the JET Program to get into the country's teaching system.  The application process is a gruelling year long thing, but it's definitely worth it.  I live in the mountains, but not too far from an active volcano that spews out ash every day.

There's also a number of places that hire eikaiwa (English conversation) teachers and if your friend has a teaching degree, he could apply at an international school.  Options are out there, but JET Program is the gateway into the country.  Obviously, my opinion's biased 'cause I've had a great experience here, but worth looking into.

I'm off to the writer's corner to check out the discussions!
"And then the time came when the risk it took to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anais Nin

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 10:59:05 AM »
Hi and welcome! You're living my dream of Japan. You'll find a few threads/posts by me about Studio Gibli and Japanese prints: ukioye and shin hanga.

Anyway, glad you're here, and I know you can find a lot of conversation of interest.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 10:37:14 AM »
Ohmygawd, your avatar ;D
You should post with @Saurus, the 2 little girls should have great fun together  --- I mean the avatar girls, not you 2 hehe

Dive in!
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 05:29:39 AM »
Hello SugoiMe, good to have you around. I don't know Japanese , please can you explain the origin of your name? We heard little about fantasy from Japanese writers on the forum, so it would be great  if you can recommend any.
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2015, 03:01:28 PM »
Welcome SugoiMe! :)
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2015, 03:53:23 PM »
Hi, Weis and Hickman got me into reading I read the Death gate cycle and loved it and that got me to read Dragonlance and from there to here......

Who was you favourite character was it Tas, Rastlin ,Skie, Tanis ? I always had a soft spot for Flint 
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline SugoiMe

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 08:59:31 AM »
@ScarletBea - Thanks!  I drew it for a blog post I wrote about breaking out of your shy box.  Yes, will hang out with other said cute avi person you mentioned!

@Lady_Ty - "Sugoi" means awesome and "me" is English, so it pretty much means I think I'm awesome.  I think pretty highly of myself. lol  I've only been living in Japan for three years, so not too caught up on info about Japanese writers.  Everything's in Japanese anyway.  Anime and manga are huge, though, but it's its own culture.  I do have some experience with the Japanese school system and getting accustom to rural Japan.

@Eclipse - Raistlin hands down!  By far the most intriguing character.  I do like Flint and Tax, but it was the way Raistlin developed, especially in the Twins trilogy, that got me.