November 30, 2020, 01:30:29 AM

Author Topic: Hello from n00b writer  (Read 621 times)

Offline TypesWithHammers

Hello from n00b writer
« on: September 21, 2020, 04:43:18 PM »
Hello!
I've been a member of the FF Facebook group since Jan 2019, but only realized there was so much fun to be had on the forums this week. I feel a little ashamed that I've posted up asking for reviews for my debut novel as my first entry to this fine virtual establishment, but the world of self-pub is full of small and dangerous steps!

I hope to be a useful member of the group. Just completed reading JA's 'The Blade Itself' in the First Law Series, now onto Book 2. Fave authors Gemmell, Orwell, Julian May, CJ Cherryh, GRRM. I'm sure Abercrombie will wheedle his way in there, too.

So, hi, and thanks for having me.
Mike

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: Hello from n00b writer
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 05:21:51 PM »
Hey, welcome to the forum!
We're a very nice bunch, and I'll let you in on a secret - if someone just posts advertising their book and nothing else, there won't be many takers ;) so you did the right thing introducing yourself, and hopefully becoming an active member!

Browse and post anywhere you'd like, we have the monthly contest (write/enter or read and vote for last month's stories), ask for reccs, and whatever else you want :)

Nice group of authors you've got there, you'll be discovering many more soon!

Where are you?
We're quite international here hehe
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline TypesWithHammers

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 05:43:10 PM »
Hi ScarletBea,
I'm from Essex but live near the Siverstone F1 racing circuit nowadays. Plenty of sound but no spectating this year :(

I've noticed posters here from various parts of the world, so a goodly spread of backgrounds, opinions and ideas. Always goods to be able to test out local queries. e.g. 'Do [insert nationality] people say/do [local idiom]?' :)

Without appropriating others' cultures, it's good to get feedback to ensure characters sound realistic, and do geographically-relevant things.

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 05:55:41 PM »
Ado ode cock , ar’m from brumajum it’s good to have you here have crack with posting.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2020, 04:20:48 AM »
Welcome!

My husband has just got into reading Abercrombie recently, and I can say that I am jealous of people getting their first read of his work, it's just such fun to engage with high-quality work for the first time. :)

Offline isos81

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2020, 06:59:46 AM »
Welcome Hammer! :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2020, 12:05:45 PM »
Hi Mike, welcome to the (actual) FF forum :)  Drive-by plugs of books never work, it's a waste of time. Getting involved in a community is a much better and more fun way to let people know you have a book out.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline TypesWithHammers

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2020, 03:08:32 PM »
Not to worry - just pleased to be here. Wished I'd done this when I joined the FB group!  :)

Offline Bender

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2020, 03:55:49 PM »
Always goods to be able to test out local queries. e.g. 'Do [insert nationality] people say/do [local idiom]?' :)

Coincidentally, I was in a discussion on Reddit on whether calling someone "Oriental" is a derogatory term or not.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline TypesWithHammers

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2020, 08:12:20 AM »
@Bender ... and what was the consensus? I suppose, as with all things, the context is key.

I would not mind being described as occidental, European, British or English. I have a preference for British, I suppose.

Offline Bender

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2020, 02:55:49 PM »
@Bender ... and what was the consensus? I suppose, as with all things, the context is key.

I would not mind being described as occidental, European, British or English. I have a preference for British, I suppose.

There wasn't any. I really don't like getting into online arguments on this. Someone pointed out that the thesaurus said this was a slur, so it must be....even if it in reality is not.

No right answer actually!
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6