April 24, 2017, 11:51:25 PM

Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 282 times)

Offline Wol

Hello!
« on: March 20, 2017, 09:37:57 PM »
Hullo, I'm Wol!

I like fantasy, cross-stitching nerd shit, fixing up old furniture, playing videogames and homebrewing beer.  :)

I am British-ish, but having lived in America for a very long time I have become a sort of Bill Bryson type hybrid where everything I type doesn't have enough vowels in it and I use lots of slang that sounds wholly inappropriate with my accent. The Americans have been very kind to put up with me, but I suspect it's mostly because they don't realize that a Northern English accent isn't actually posh.

I met my (American) husband on a roleplaying server in a fantasy videogame (Everquest, for the curious - I was an Elf and he was a Halfling) back in 1999 where we were very good friends for about 3 years of pretending we didn't fancy one another. Then one evening we got a bit squiffy and admitted we did fancy one another rather a lot, actually, and so we met and spent a week together and that was basically enough for us to decide to get married. I moved to Portland, OR 3 months later to be with him. And now we have been married for 12 years. Whew!

Offline Eli_Freysson

Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 10:05:42 PM »
Welcome! You have stumbled upon the most pleasant community I have ever seen on the internet.  :)
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 10:10:02 PM »
That's a great story, Wol

And as Eli said, we're great :D
I would say 'make yourself at home', but I've already noticed you have hehe - keep sharing!
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"A book is as dangerous as any journey you might take. The person who closes the back cover may not be the same one that opened the front one." Mark Lawrence ("Red Sister")

Offline Eclipse

• Threadomancer and Discoverer of Obscure and Ancient Threads
  • Khaleesi
  • Goats for ever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 10:10:41 PM »
With an unhealthy fascination with goats.
I'm Saloninus, by the way. And I tell lies, from time to time. Which goes to prove the old rule; never entirely trust a man who talks about himself in the third person.

Blue and Gold by K.J Parker

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 10:19:01 PM »

Which no-one has explained to me yet.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline Wol

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 10:29:31 PM »
Thanks, guys! I'm happy to be here and excited to join in. :)

What constitutes "unhealthy", exactly? Like, if my 2016 calendar was literally of Goats in Trees? Because, uh...  :-\

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 10:33:12 PM »

This *sticky* thread explains it all!!!
http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/general-discussion/jokes-on-the-forum-goats-and-atku-god-of-goats-in-particular/

Like, if my 2016 calendar was literally of Goats in Trees? Because, uh...  :-\
You fit right in ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"A book is as dangerous as any journey you might take. The person who closes the back cover may not be the same one that opened the front one." Mark Lawrence ("Red Sister")

Offline Lady_Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Khaleesi
  • Dragon Queen In Her Own Right
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 11:38:09 PM »

This *sticky* thread explains it all!!!
http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/general-discussion/jokes-on-the-forum-goats-and-atku-god-of-goats-in-particular/

Like, if my 2016 calendar was literally of Goats in Trees? Because, uh...  :-\
You fit right in ;D

Hi @Wol,you will definitely enjoy our nonsense and are very welcome.  As long as you bear in mind that Dragons are far better than Goats.;D Please don't hesitate to ask questions about anything you don't understand about how the Forum works, someone will be glad to explain or refer you. ;D

In particular, if you write a long post make sure to either do it in Word and save or do frequent copies, as you can lose it by accident. Usually because unless you are permanently logged in there is a time expiry, but sometimes it seems random.

@ScarletBea thank you for reminding about that thread, we should do it more often with introductions. Just updated it to add note re the Shop and Bank closing ( which you all had to tell me about months after it happened :-[)
I imagine arguments being swallowed back, wine spit in glasses and gurgling up bottles. I imagine my ring sliding off my finger, Bobby's lips hot on mine for the first time again, and then unknown to me.
Time doesn't seem to ever be kind. - Nora - Time's Arrow 1750

Offline Atku God of Goats

• Tribute
  • Charged with the power of elemental cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 12:37:18 AM »
Did someone mention goats?!
Mwahahahahahahah!!!

Offline Wol

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 02:02:12 PM »
As long as you bear in mind that Dragons are far better than Goats.;D

DON'T TELL ME HOW TO LIVE MY LIFE!

In particular, if you write a long post make sure to either do it in Word and save or do frequent copies, as you can lose it by accident. Usually because unless you are permanently logged in there is a time expiry, but sometimes it seems random.

DON'T TELL ME... oh wait, that's good advice.  ;D

I love it here already!

Offline RLStevenson

• Tribute
  • Archaeologist, trumpeter, writer
    • View Profile
    • The King of Kamaahr - A Medieval Action and Adventure Novel
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 06:58:14 PM »
Welcome! Sweet story. I'm pretty new myself, but I'm loving the community.
Brandon, archaeologist and writer
http://thekingofkamaahr.com/

Offline Mike Brooks

• Shadow Op
  • Scifi. Fantasy. Related shenanigans.
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2017, 11:01:31 PM »
Hello Wol! I'm also new here, happy to meet you. I'm also also British, but I'm neither Northern nor in America (I possibly am a bit posh though, or at least middle-class).
I'm an angel. I kill firstborns while their mamas watch. I turn cities into salt. I even, when I feel like it, rip the souls from little girls, and from now till kingdom come, the only thing you can count on, in your existence, is never understanding why.

http://mikebrooks.co.uk

Offline Wol

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2017, 11:31:40 PM »
Well you know, I don't require Northernness in my pals, it's just a bonus. I promise I won't reject you for not having a flat cap or black lung or whatever.  ;D

Pleased to meet you!

Tags: