December 03, 2020, 11:03:14 AM

Author Topic: Hail all you adventurers!  (Read 162 times)

Offline kadedraven

Hail all you adventurers!
« on: November 19, 2020, 12:25:27 AM »
Hello everyone,
I am new here, obviously, and would love the company of the fantasy community. This seems like a wholesome community and I decided to partake.

I am a lover of fantasy (all my life!) and a writer myself. I am an English teacher in Kagoshima, Japan. I speak Japanese fluently and consider language (including writing) to be the epicenter of my life. I am also the editor-in-chief of a dark fantasy magazine and would love to network with all of you!

I have questions, and I have insights into publishing and writing as well. I hope to give as much as I take and embark on this ride that fantasy so frequently gives.

Let's ride forth into the night together :) Feel free to message me or interact with me here!

Kade
Let's explore dark fantasy together, The Common Tongue Magazine

Offline hexa

Re: Hail all you adventurers!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 01:19:41 AM »

Online cupiscent

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 02:09:36 AM »
Hi Kade, nice to meet you! :)

Conversations about fantasy - reading and writing - always welcome around here :D I have been doing a bit of pondering lately about the darker subgenres of fantasy, so I am curious to ask someone with a foot seriously in the game - what definition of "dark fantasy" do you prefer? What's in, what's out, what are some telltale markers, in your opinion?

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 04:02:58 AM »
Welcome! We live new people, new perspectives, new discussions! :D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 09:32:44 PM »
Welcome!
This is a really friendly little corner of the web :)

It wouldn't happen to be The Common Tongue magazine would it?

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline kadedraven

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2020, 03:35:30 AM »
Welcome!
This is a really friendly little corner of the web :)

It wouldn't happen to be The Common Tongue magazine would it?

I definitely hope so! I will venture to find out, I suppose :).
Yes, matter of fact it is! I'm surprised someone pointed it out so quickly!

Welcome! We live new people, new perspectives, new discussions! :D

And I enjoy learning new things and about new people :^) Thanks!

Hi Kade, nice to meet you! :)

Conversations about fantasy - reading and writing - always welcome around here :D I have been doing a bit of pondering lately about the darker subgenres of fantasy, so I am curious to ask someone with a foot seriously in the game - what definition of "dark fantasy" do you prefer? What's in, what's out, what are some telltale markers, in your opinion?

Well, I always quote dark fantasy, in my humble opinion, as being any form of fantasy that presses that boundary between good and evil. It doesn't really boil down to alignments any longer. Dark fantasy is visceral but unrehearsed. It's both beautiful and detailed, and I think writers that find solace in dark fantasy are the type of writer that lingers on detail--something as simple as a candlelight flickering, or the movement of grass in the wind. They understand that without dark, there can't be light. The author--an effective dark fantasy author--in my opinion, is able to convey a beauty of the dark things. They are able to communicate that no matter how bleak, desperate, and lonely a situation might be, that there is often beauty to be found in that dark.

I've seen many writers attempt their version of "dark fantasy", and their definitions and perceptions about what constitutes it varies immensely from person to person. It's a nebulous subgenre, to be sure.

I think there's merit in understanding why I'm personally attracted to dark fantasy, as I've found others share this same fascination, at least to a degree. I find myself alone in many points of my life, and the seclusion from things others might absolutely need are often out of reach for me. And so I've spent the better part of my life in relative isolation, as it were. It's in that silence growing up in the deep desert mountains in California that I learned to imagine tales and stories in that silence. And I think the very essence of good dark fantasy is the ability to explain what you see in the aloneness and give it the spin of core fantasy elements (magic, monsters) and medieval themes (knights, orders, castles, serfdoms, dynasties, 1800's London, Mary Shelley). Dark fantasy's mystery and aloneness makes you feel like there's something beyond all that silence and that the world is endless. It gives a sense of wonderment that mundane fantasy seems to eliminate by setting limits and strict approximations of what is right and wrong. That's what makes it so powerful to me.

Of course, you'll always need oppressive forces to challenge high fantasy's black & white alignment gauge, and that's why good doesn't always win. Dark fantasy is mysterious, ominous, and often unsettling. It is not always "gross", but it can be (see Grimdark), but I find dark fantasy to be much more reflective of our own world than mundane fantasy could ever be.

I can't say anything about what's "in" for dark fantasy, because Grimdark Magazine will publish a slightly different line of stories than a magazine like The Common Tongue (and that ultimately comes down to editor perceptions, sub-sub fantasy genres, and the writer ideals for the genre). And author's book A might not be dark fantasy, but still contain all the elements that would be found in an "ideal" dark fantasy novel.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 03:43:26 AM by kadedraven »
Let's explore dark fantasy together, The Common Tongue Magazine