June 04, 2020, 03:51:17 PM

Author Topic: Greetings  (Read 1493 times)

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
Greetings
« on: August 03, 2016, 08:53:46 PM »
Greetings all, I missed this introduction section when I joined, so I thought I'd give some idea of myself.

I am nearing completion of my first draft of my fantasy novel. My handle comes from that work's intended title "The Gem Cutter's Son". I write in the First Person, and work through the Fourth Wall with great care.

My background is unconventional, including 23 years in the military in some relatively cool assignments ranging from special operations to organizations that Ender Wiggin would certainly recognize - children fighting a virtual war with distant enemies. I was a linguist (Russian and Arabic), a martial artist, and with my unconventional warfare background, I am informed on a wide variety of niche topics: survival, guns, clandestine operations, you name it. I mention all this because I am interested to help writers research for their work, and also because I hate to see writers "get it wrong," whether it's silly and technical or cultural and nuanced. If I can be of service, please let me know.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 01:18:35 AM by The Gem Cutter »
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
Re: Greetings
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 09:02:29 PM »
Just wow. Nah, that's not right. Welcome, too. :)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 09:46:12 PM »
Just wow. Nah, that's not right. Welcome, too. :)
This :D

We love new different people on the forum, and we're starting to get a very different group 8)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Deads

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 10:05:42 PM »
Welcome, though I'm brand new myself...  and count me in as a beta reader!  Looking forward to knowing ya.

Offline AnnaStephens

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 10:48:55 AM »
That's a hell of an introduction! With two high-functioning asperger's nephews, I know how intimidating new places and people can be, so congrats on managing such a hugely varied career and surviving some intense pressures.

Hope the writing is just as successful.

Anna

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 02:49:09 PM »
Welcome!
Sounds like you have a good depth of background to draw from and work into your writing, and the drive to work to improve it. That bodes well :)

Hope you find a lot of useful stuff here.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things