September 21, 2020, 05:04:44 PM

Author Topic: Greetings!  (Read 216 times)

Offline Mordred

Greetings!
« on: September 08, 2020, 11:27:47 PM »
It has been a long time since I wrote my last introduction. Especially in English!

For starters, I apologize if I shall misspell some words or phrasing my sentence awkwardly, English is not my native tongue!

Aside of that, I found this forum today, through an article online and I said to myself "Why not? My english is so rusty! And I love fantasy literature, so... give it a shot?"

So I am Max (short for Massimiliano) and I come from Italy, a land sadly known for being a bit snobbish about this particular literary genre, but slowly things are a-changing for the best!

My favourite fantasy authors are (of course) J.R.R. Tolkien, Andrzej Sapkowski, Ursula K. Leguinn, Marion Zimmer Bradley, Guy Gavriel Kay, Robert E. Howard.
As you can read, I have a thing for old school fantasy and I endure a complicated relationship with new school fantasy, regarding (for example) my love/hate relationship with Sanderson. Although I am currently reading - and quite enjoying - the Broken Earth Trilogy by NK Jemisin.

Furthermore I really like videogames: Dragon Age, The Witcher, Age of Wonders, the various Total Wars, Spellforce and so on.

Am a bit of a history and mythology nerd (I live in tuscany and I was born near sicily, so I got the best of both worlds) and yes, I do like cooking and eating, I can't help it!

I write of course, mostly poetry, but I have one or two ongoing prose projects... sadly all I write is in italian, but mayhap my staying here could sparkle some new confidence regarding my english writing skills.

So, that's all for now, I hope to enjoy my staying and I hope to not embarass myself too much with my linguistic mistakes!

Offline cupiscent

Re: Greetings!
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 12:57:25 AM »
Welcome, Max! We're a friendly and international bunch. You won't be the only one working on English, I know @isos81 sometimes asks when he doesn't quite understand something. English can be weird! So always feel free to ask about any word or bit of language that doesn't make sense. :)

I'm married to an Italian - though I'm Australian and his family has been here for a generation as well. They came originally from a village in the mountains in Basilicata.

I love Guy Gavriel Kay as well - and I love NK Jemisin's work. Modern fantasy has branched out into so many styles and subgenres and options. It means there's something for everyone, but it can be tricky to find just what you want! Hopefully through discussion here, you can start to narrow down what you enjoy and can find more of it. I'd love to hear more about what you love and hate about Sanderson. We have a variety of opinions on him here. :D

Offline isos81

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2020, 07:43:11 AM »
Welcome Max! Great intro with a much better English than mine :) I'm Turkish, the one and only in the forum. And you are the only Italian AFAIK.

As Cupi said, it may sometimes be hard for us non-English people to understand what they are talking, but they are a friendly bunch :)

Have fun!
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Ambient Mage
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2020, 07:57:19 AM »
and I endure a complicated relationship with new school fantasy

I am currently reading - and quite enjoying - the Broken Earth Trilogy by NK Jemisin

Welcome to the forums. ;D

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2020, 08:11:49 AM »
Welcome! :D

The guys above said all the nice things (doggies!), I'll just add that you can search all topics and post even in old ones, I'm sure someone will reply.
Feel free to ask for recommendations.
Take a look at our writing competition, even if just to read the submitted stories and vote for your favourite (like I do).

Yay Jemisin!
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Online Eli_Freysson

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2020, 09:41:35 AM »
Welcome. And good on you reading Howard. I'm about halfway through the Conan collection, and there is something simply fascinating about the unflinching, amoral savagery of that setting.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2020, 01:05:50 PM »
Welcome, Max! I'm a big fan of  Robert E. Howard myself :)

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline Bender

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2020, 02:50:57 PM »
Welcome Max. Just dive in and we are a international bunch, so don't worry too much.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Mordred

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2020, 08:10:04 PM »
Oh my! Not even 24h passed and I feel really welcome, here! Thanks to all of you! I'll try to browse the topics around and I'll do my best to contribute at the various discussions... and to discover more and more authors.

Love de doggos and they'll surely be happy because I'm loving The Obelisk Gate.

About Howard, I admit that I did not red a great deal about Conan (Although I grew up with the She-Devil's Comics!), but I particularly enjoy the adventures of Solomon Kane! Quite different from the savage world of the Hyborian Age, but I feel closer its dark atmosphere.

Sorry if I am not able to answer to all, but thank you for you welcome!

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2020, 11:37:04 PM »
I’ve been to Italy on holiday visited Paestum the Ancient Greek temples and Herculaneum.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate