October 20, 2019, 08:26:51 PM

Author Topic: Good Evening!(/morning/day/night)  (Read 3620 times)

Offline ultamentkiller

Re: Good Evening!(/morning/day/night)
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2015, 05:35:35 PM »
Welcome!
I'm new here myself as well, and I haven't read the Q&A yet. I probably should get to that at some point.
I don't think you'll have any trouble finding people on here that are just like you. My first couple of days looking at this website I found a forum thread that made me so happy, because I realized I wasn't alone.

My first fantasy was Harry Potter when I was 8 or 9. I didn't read much fantasy after that for the next 5 or 6 years, except for the Inheritance Cycle.
To be honest, what really got me into fantasy was The Demon Wars Saga by R. A. Salvatore. There's a company out there called Graphic Audio that dramatizes books. I had been reading a si-fi series called Doomsday Warrior when the advertisement for Demon Wars caught my eye. From Demon Wars I saw an advertisement for The Night Angel Trilogy, which is awesome! A few Graphic Audio Series later I stumbled upon The Demon Cycle by Peter V. Brett. And then The Light Bringer Saga by Brent Weeks, which is my favorite fantasy series.
The United States has a library for blind people that makes books available for download in a specialized format. I jumped right on that and continued my plunge into the Fantasy genre. I've been trying to read all the popular stuff so that I can participate in more discussions, which at first seemed hard, until I finished climbing the Game of Thrones mountain. Now every book seems like a piece of cake.

Offline Chreus

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2015, 07:19:49 PM »
Welcome!

Our library is pretty much non existant. I don't think it has any books that came out after 2000, not even to speak of fantasy novels. Luckily I have one frien who reads A LOT! She also likes working on her personal library, so I get to borrow books from her. Otherwise I buy kindle books and when possible softcovers at our local bookshop. Unfortunately they aren't always up to date with the newest releases. So I am often forced to go the electronic version, especially if I want to join the bookclub read of the month.

I discovered fantasy novels when I came across my dad's Thomas Covenant novel. I was reorganising one of his closets when I found this stack of yellow paged books and decided to give it a try. Later I convinced my parents to buy me LOTR for my birthday. But I only became a true fan when I discovered my friends personal library and started borrowing books from her. Nowadays I mostly rely on Fantasy Faction to introduce me to new books and authors. (Thank you, so by the way!)

Been considering a getting a kindle a couple of times but I never end up doing so as I just think there's something special with a good ol' paper book. Suppose I'm old fashioned that way. Wildly impractical of course. The local bookshop here might actually get a fantasy book every once in a blue moon, buuuuut its always a translated version and I refuse to read that. A book should be read in the language it was written or its just wrong. Man... I feel like I'm sounding very old :/

You're lucky to have a friend with a nice collection of books. None of my friends are big readers. The only one I know who actually reads a lot is my mom and she doesn't quite have the same taste as me:P

So true. My library didn't have many fantasy titles beyond the old Dragonlance stuff. Can't complain, though. By the time I was 14 I'd read all the Star Wars extended universe books that were out without buying a single one. Good times.

Found out recently that the library here will order books for you if you ask them to. I'd save vast amounts of money if I actually started taking advantage of that fact...

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2015, 07:57:59 PM »
Been considering a getting a kindle a couple of times but I never end up doing so as I just think there's something special with a good ol' paper book. Suppose I'm old fashioned that way.
(...)
 buuuuut its always a translated version and I refuse to read that. A book should be read in the language it was written or its just wrong.
Man... I feel like I'm sounding very old :/

No you're not, I feel exactly the same, in both counts.
Oh wait.
Maybe I *am* old.
Ooops
 ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Nino

• Builder
  • Middle Earth is my Father Christmas
    • View Profile
    • Text Sketches
Good Evening!(/morning/day/night)
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2015, 08:21:22 PM »
I never whould have bought a Kindle for myself. But after we had to buy yet another book case my husband decided to surprise me with one as an aniversary gift. I must admit that I wasn't too excited at first but it grew on me. Looking back I think it opened the door for me to read much more than I otherwise would have. It's just way too easy to buy a book I want to read and have it delivered instantaneously. (And that is not good for the credit card.) Plus, I like the preview option. I would often read the preview and then buy the actual softcover because of it.

Still more in love with the smell, feel and funktionality of the physical book though. And I think I would always be.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2015, 09:14:36 PM »
I read most often on the Kindle app of my iPad or iPhone.  I still can't believe that, with my iPad charger left out-of-town, I actually read The Well of Ascension and The Hero of Ages on the tiny screen of my iPhone.  That was not an optimal experience!

And just this weekend, I gifted a Kindle Paperwhite to my father, who is having trouble reading due to Parkinsons.  Amusingly, my stepmother has just about claimed it, and is singing its praises.

Meanwhile, I stopped in at a used book store and wandered the aisles, enjoying pulling out books, looking at the covers, remembering ones I'd read and looking for ones I hadn't.  I picked up Robin Hobb's Ship of Fools.  It's fat, and I love picking it up and putting it down without worrying about battery life or wifi.

Call me ambibooksterous.    ;D
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Chreus

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2015, 09:22:33 PM »
Welcome!
I'm new here myself as well, and I haven't read the Q&A yet. I probably should get to that at some point.
I don't think you'll have any trouble finding people on here that are just like you. My first couple of days looking at this website I found a forum thread that made me so happy, because I realized I wasn't alone.

My first fantasy was Harry Potter when I was 8 or 9. I didn't read much fantasy after that for the next 5 or 6 years, except for the Inheritance Cycle.
To be honest, what really got me into fantasy was The Demon Wars Saga by R. A. Salvatore. There's a company out there called Graphic Audio that dramatizes books. I had been reading a si-fi series called Doomsday Warrior when the advertisement for Demon Wars caught my eye. From Demon Wars I saw an advertisement for The Night Angel Trilogy, which is awesome! A few Graphic Audio Series later I stumbled upon The Demon Cycle by Peter V. Brett. And then The Light Bringer Saga by Brent Weeks, which is my favorite fantasy series.
The United States has a library for blind people that makes books available for download in a specialized format. I jumped right on that and continued my plunge into the Fantasy genre. I've been trying to read all the popular stuff so that I can participate in more discussions, which at first seemed hard, until I finished climbing the Game of Thrones mountain. Now every book seems like a piece of cake.

So very true. I have to admit I was a bit intimidated by the 'Game of Thrones' mountain myself, as you so nicely put it. 1800 named characters? I mean come on! It took me 2 months to memorize the names of my neighbors! (and there's only 3 of them.) But yeah, everything now seems a breeze in comparison.

I think I need to check out that Light Bringer Saga. Seems to get a lot of praise. Always happy to add more to the "to-read-pile" :D

No you're not, I feel exactly the same, in both counts.
Oh wait.
Maybe I *am* old.
Ooops
 ;D

Naah. We're obviously in our prime! *nod*

Plus, I like the preview option. I would often read the preview and then buy the actual softcover because of it.

Still more in love with the smell, feel and funktionality of the physical book though. And I think I would always be.

Oooh that's actually very clever. That's definitely going on the "pro's" list if reasons to buy/not to buy a kindle. Sort of like downloading a movie to see if its good and then buy the DVD after.... Not that I'd EVER illegally download a movie >.> That would be wrong.

Offline Chreus

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2015, 09:25:00 PM »

I can't quite decide if that's brilliant or terrible xD I'm leaning towards brilliant.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2015, 10:07:00 PM »
I read most often on the Kindle app of my iPad or iPhone.  I still can't believe that, with my iPad charger left out-of-town, I actually read The Well of Ascension and The Hero of Ages on the tiny screen of my iPhone.  That was not an optimal experience!

And just this weekend, I gifted a Kindle Paperwhite to my father, who is having trouble reading due to Parkinsons.  Amusingly, my stepmother has just about claimed it, and is singing its praises.

Meanwhile, I stopped in at a used book store and wandered the aisles, enjoying pulling out books, looking at the covers, remembering ones I'd read and looking for ones I hadn't.  I picked up Robin Hobb's Ship of Fools.  It's fat, and I love picking it up and putting it down without worrying about battery life or wifi.

I think if I was reduced to reading on my iPhone I'd wind up going out and buying a book.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com