November 20, 2019, 03:36:58 PM

Author Topic: Good Evening!(/morning/day/night)  (Read 3641 times)

Offline Chreus

Good Evening!(/morning/day/night)
« on: January 30, 2015, 05:37:35 PM »
Hello all!

Fantasy fan from Norway here. The frustration of not having a single friend who reads fantasy has lead me here in hopes of finding someone I can discuss books with without boring them to death! :D

So, a little bit about myself. First fantasy books I read was (big surprise) the Lord of the Rings, but I didn't truly get into fantasy reading until I read the Riftwar Saga at the age of 15. Most recently I've read the Night Angel trilogy, Patrick Rothfuss' Name of the Wind (waiting eagerly for the second book to arrive in the mail), same goes for Brent Weeks' Ravens Shadow series and currently reading the Riyria Revelations and loving it!

I live in a small place in the middle of nowhere and we DO have a small library however the 'English Fantasy' section is limited to LOTR, Harry Potter and Fifty Shades of Gray >.>. So yeah, needles to say a lot of book shopping happens online.

For me, the most important thing in a book is that I'm given a character (or several) that I care about. If the main protagonist is dull and bland it doesn't matter how good the story is as I'm unlikely to finish the book. Also prefer books who throw you straight into the action. Spending the first 4-5 pages describing scenery is a big no-no for me.

So yeah, hope to have some interesting discussions on this forum as well as find some good book recommendations! :D

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
Re: Good Evening!(/morning/day/night)
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 05:48:31 PM »
Glad to have you here Chreus! I'm sure you'll find some people who'll want to yammer on about fantasy fiction. I think this is the perfect place for that!

And you're library sounds like mine, even though I'm an American! :P

If you have any questions, PM a mod. They're always happy to help. Hope you enjoy your stay!
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 05:49:55 PM »
Hej hej, it's cool that you found this place! Welcome! :)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Chreus

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 06:02:24 PM »
Thank you for the welcome! I'm currently reading through the Q&A and the FAQ to try and refrain from asking the very common questions. Though I have to admit I'm terribly curious as to what the karma thing under the avatar is for :P Haven't gotten far enough into the explorations to figure that out yet.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 06:07:06 PM »
Welcome Chreus!  I'm in the same position (no one to talk to much about all this) though with a better library  8)

My first fantasy novels were the Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander (young adult).  My oldest brother read the first book (The Book of Three) aloud to the middle brother and me.  (Though if you count the Oz books, it started back even further.)  Then it was Narnia, then LOTR.  In the early '70s the big expansions of the genre beyond the Inklings were the Thomas Covenant books and Sword of Shannara.  (And someone will correct me with some other version of the facts, I'm sure.)

It's really the books written since the '80s that haven't been much a part of my reading.  (Kids will do that.  "What, it's ten years later?  How did that happen?")  So every time I chat with anyone on F-F, it just makes my To-Be-Read pile that much larger.

Anyway, have at it here!  And check out the monthly book club and the monthly writing contest.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 06:10:58 PM »
On each post you'll see an icon for "Agreed" and one for "Hmm... not sure".
Clicking on "Agreed" increases the karma of that poster; clicking on "Not sure" decreases the Karma.
Someone can go negative on karma - not the best mark of playing well with others?

Really, karma serves no great purpose except to prompt discussions about Smiting the Smiters or some such.  :)

That said, I do enjoy seeing mine is at least positive!
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Chreus

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 06:19:29 PM »
Hello Jmacyk!  I have to admit that out of the books you've mentioned I am only familiar with LOTR, all though that sounds like something that could go in the to-read-pile! :D

And thanks for explaining the karma for me! I shall strive to remain on my best behaviour and hopefully gain a positive rating myself. Thumbs up from me for being kind enough to explain it ;)

Edit: getting those verification letters correct after each post is hard!

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 06:44:19 PM »
At age 53, I find them almost impossible.  At 63, I will be unable to use the internet.   :'(
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 07:30:43 PM »
Hey and welcome to Fantasy Faction.
Yeh, I hate the questions and letters thing as well... especially since I usually check on my phone and the thing is case sensitive T.T

But let's talk fantasy instead of complaining about that :p
The small library here has forced me to expand my private lib instead which isn't too hard since everyone gifts me books all the time.

Offline Chreus

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 08:26:46 PM »
Hello and thank you, Henry Dale!

Limited library seems to be somewhat of a common problem :P The world should petition for online libraries. Then again, it is nice to have a richly stocked bookshelf. Also, new books smells wonderful! (Or is that just me being weird?)

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2015, 11:01:12 PM »
At age 53, I find them almost impossible.  At 63, I will be unable to use the internet.   :'(
You can get audio versions of them if you need them. I understand your pain. They'll just have to come up with a new version of the Turing Test.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 01:02:45 AM »
You can get audio versions of them if you need them. I understand your pain. They'll just have to come up with a new version of the Turing Test.
Captcha is the bane of the internet. Google is actually replacing it with noCaptcha, which is basically a big tick box that senses whether or not you move your mouse in a way that seems like a human (or something like that). If you do, you just click once and you're through. If not, you fill in a captcha as normal. Worth taking a look anyway :)

Oh and welcome Chreus :D
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2015, 09:22:21 AM »
Edit: getting those verification letters correct after each post is hard!
You should be through soon. I think it's only the first fifteen posts, after that you've proven to not be a spam bot. ;)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline DavidZampa

• Tribute
  • Books person. A bit person, mostly books.
    • View Profile
    • The Pensive Dragon (portfolio)
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2015, 10:22:47 AM »
Welcome, Chreus! I'm new here too.

Limited library seems to be somewhat of a common problem :P

So true. My library didn't have many fantasy titles beyond the old Dragonlance stuff. Can't complain, though. By the time I was 14 I'd read all the Star Wars extended universe books that were out without buying a single one. Good times.

Full time freelance book cover designer. Does other stuff, too.

Offline Nino

• Builder
  • Middle Earth is my Father Christmas
    • View Profile
    • Text Sketches
Good Evening!(/morning/day/night)
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2015, 03:17:28 PM »
Welcome!

Our library is pretty much non existant. I don't think it has any books that came out after 2000, not even to speak of fantasy novels. Luckily I have one frien who reads A LOT! She also likes working on her personal library, so I get to borrow books from her. Otherwise I buy kindle books and when possible softcovers at our local bookshop. Unfortunately they aren't always up to date with the newest releases. So I am often forced to go the electronic version, especially if I want to join the bookclub read of the month.

I discovered fantasy novels when I came across my dad's Thomas Covenant novel. I was reorganising one of his closets when I found this stack of yellow paged books and decided to give it a try. Later I convinced my parents to buy me LOTR for my birthday. But I only became a true fan when I discovered my friends personal library and started borrowing books from her. Nowadays I mostly rely on Fantasy Faction to introduce me to new books and authors. (Thank you, so by the way!)