September 29, 2020, 02:42:23 PM

Author Topic: Elk in Headlights  (Read 2474 times)

Offline Skip

Elk in Headlights
« on: February 10, 2015, 11:35:16 PM »
Hello to all and sundry. My name is Ellis L. Knox, but I've had a nickname since childhood, so call me Skip.

I write historical fantasy and have a couple of publications, and I'm working on a novel. I've been reading fantasy for most of my life, which at 63 adds up to a fair pile.

I'm a medieval historian by training, but I fell into the computer business early on and the tar baby stuck. I'm retired now, though, and have returned to my first loves of history and fiction.

I'm delighted to find this group. I've been reading Fantasy Faction for a year or more, but only today stumbled onto a reference to the forum. Jumped on it.

I look forward to hearing from folks here on their triumphs and tribulations in their writing, and their publishing.
Visit Altearth

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
Re: Elk in Headlights
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 12:26:14 AM »
Welcome, Skip!  It's nice to have another member who is older than I.  ;)
I found F-F while googling for new "best books" to read, and discovered the monthly story competition.
Don't join that.  I can't stand having more competition. 8)
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 05:25:41 PM »
Welcome Skip

I think you might be interested in The Red Knight (The Traitor Son Cycle #1) by Miles Cameron

http://www.traitorson.com/about-miles
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Skip

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 02:25:22 AM »
It's nice to see another medievalist in FictionLand. The Red Knight is now in my TBR queue which is, alas, dishearteningly long.
Visit Altearth

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 08:33:17 PM »
I needed until now to get the topic title...  ::) ;D

Hello and welcome! :)
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Skip

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 03:47:59 AM »
Not when I began writing, but later when I began to realize just how much work the whole publishing process was going to entail, I felt like a deer in headlights.

The rest was inevitable.

-= Skip =-
Visit Altearth

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 06:50:33 AM »
I am not looking forward to the publishing process...good thing I still have to edit.
Welcome to FF Skip

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 11:49:22 PM »
I'm a medieval historian by training, but I fell into the computer business early on and the tar baby stuck. I'm retired now, though, and have returned to my first loves of history and fiction.

Hey there, fellow Medievalist! (Just finished my Master's in Medieval Islamic History a couple of months ago :) )

Hope you like it in here. The 'What are you currently reading' is a great thread to encounter new books, so be sure to take a look there!
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 01:49:42 AM »

Hey there, fellow Medievalist! (Just finished my Master's in Medieval Islamic History a couple of months ago :) )

Hope you like it in here. The 'What are you currently reading' is a great thread to encounter new books, so be sure to take a look there!
M.g., can you make a suggestion for a readable, interesting book in your master's subject?
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Saraband

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2015, 08:01:17 PM »
M.g., can you make a suggestion for a readable, interesting book in your master's subject?

Of course! There are many, though.

For a general overview, Bernard Lewis "The Arabs in History" is always a fairly solid introduction, despite being a bit old by now. I prefer André Miquel's "L'Islam et sa civilisation", which is an absolutely phenomenal book - but I don't think there is an English translation.

My thesis was specifically about the expression of homoerotic sexuality in the poetry and literature of al-Andalus (Iberian Peninsula). I cannot recommend enough one of the best books about sexuality in Islam: Abdelwahab Bouhdiba's "Sexuality in Islam". It is an entertaining and truly informative read.

Hope these help  ;)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 08:42:58 PM by M. G. Boronha »

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 08:16:44 PM »
Miguel, did you read Guy Gavriel Kay's The Lions of Al-Rassan? Superb book placed in a slightly alternate version of the Nasrid Empire of Granada.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Saraband

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2015, 09:37:17 PM »
Miguel, did you read Guy Gavriel Kay's The Lions of Al-Rassan? Superb book placed in a slightly alternate version of the Nasrid Empire of Granada.

I've read great things about it, and it is on my TBR pile, but I haven't got into it yet  ;) Thanks for the tip, in any case!