June 19, 2019, 12:14:03 AM

Author Topic: Bum nutjob joining  (Read 6267 times)

Online Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
Re: Bum nutjob joining
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2015, 10:17:06 PM »
Thanks a lot Xiagan!

Hey @Eclipse thanks!
Your question is pretty tough. I don't have a favorite author. Even if I'm a bit more consistent in reading than in music, as I tend to read a lot of the author's work if I like one of their book, at the end of the day I still evaluate them mainly by my best favorite book by them.
So I don't have favorite authors as much as I have favorite books… Do I make any sense?
However, if I list my favorite works, that makes me a fan of the following :

Jane Austen, Franz Kafka, Stephan Zweig, Michael Crichton, Philippe Aries (french historian, considered first and foremost in the new field of "history of behavior and attitudes", wrote superbly about the evolution of our relation to death, childhood, or private life. I'll make a post about his work some time soon), G.R.R Martin (been reading him for over 10 years now!), Anne Rice, I'm also a HUGE fan of Bierce "Devil's dictionary", Bill Bryson, Tolkien… Recently discovered Sanderson with Mistborn and though the first book put him high up the list, the second (and somewhat the third too) make me reserve my judgement till I read more of his work.

ect.

I also read a lot of manga and comics and stay a huge fan of Mike Mignola with the BPRD and Hellboy series.

But most of my reading time is taken by scientific books (complex only in fields I manage like biology, and otherwise broken down a bit for a more general public when it comes to physics, with Katherine Freese, Munroe's excellent "What if?", Kip Thorne (brilliant), Greene or Hawking) and philosophy books and essays.
"Defense of moderate autonomism" ought to be read by any artist imo.
Jeff MacMahan is an ethic author I dote on, with "Ethics of killing in war" and "Torture in principle and in practice".
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2015, 11:33:50 PM »
If you like Kafka's work you may get a laugh out of The Meowmorphosis by Coleridge Cook (Coleridge Cook is actually the pseudonym of an author better known by another name, which I won't reveal here, because I get the impression she's not all that keen on people knowing she wrote this book), by Quirk Classics (the same people responsible for Pride, Prejudice & Zombies) if you can track it down. It's a parody of Kafka's The Metamorphosis, with the twist being that the central character turns into a kitten rather than a cockroach.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Online Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2015, 12:14:21 AM »
Oh MY GOD. Thanks so much! That's sounds right down my fan girl-crazy cat lady alley!!
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2015, 12:21:55 AM »
Oh MY GOD. Thanks so much! That's sounds right down my fan girl-crazy cat lady alley!!
Of course being a fan of Austen you may have already read Pride & Prejudice & Zombies (there was a sequel and a prequel to that as well), Quirk also parodied Sense & Sensibility with Sense & Sensibility & Sea-Monsters. Naomi Novik's Temeraire series feature dragons that speak and act like they just stepped out of an Austen novel, as does Jo Walton's Tooth and Claw. The Temeraire's are fun, but they're more like Patrick O'Brien with dragons, whereas Tooth and Claw is largely an Austen novel with dragons as the central characters. If Jane Austen were a dragon she would have written Tooth and Claw. I find Gail Carriger's books read a little like if P.G Wodehouse and Jane Austen had tea together one day and Wodehouse said, "I say Janey, why don't we have a lash at this steam punk thing all the kids are talking about?"
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Online Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2015, 01:17:38 AM »
Great recommendations on the dragon side of things. I know about the zombie and sea monster parodies but never got hooked. Mainly because I'm a one of the pricky Austen fans. Modern authors just generally fail at reproducing a genuine regency writing style and the try-hard effect discourages me.
However, O'brien with dragons that's going straight on my to-read list.
I have a book on my short list called Seraphina, showing a world where dragons can shape themselves as humans and are talented at arts... The premises sounded great, so do the ones of Temeraire and tooth and claw, thanks a bunch!!

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2015, 01:21:25 AM »
Modern authors just generally fail at reproducing a genuine regency writing style and the try-hard effect discourages me.
:-[ But that's in my Rogue story. Well, attempting. Failing? Say it ain't so  :'(
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Online Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2015, 01:29:08 AM »
No no, sorry, my comment is only valid concerning the Austen fan world.
Lots of people do spin offs of Pride and prejudice and all have failed so far in my eyes. Like "an assembly such as this" which is supposedly the book in Darcy's POV. Beyond a flimsy attempt at reproducing Austen's prose, the author completely lacks knowledge of what a gentleman like Darcy would be doing with his time, besides mooning on his love interest.
Because I know Austen by heart (P&P I read several times a year, no hiding it) it's hard for me to escape a harsh critical mindset.

I'm reading your Rogue story now!

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2015, 01:39:23 AM »
No no, sorry, my comment is only valid concerning the Austen fan world.
Lots of people do spin offs of Pride and prejudice and all have failed so far in my eyes. Like "an assembly such as this" which is supposedly the book in Darcy's POV. Beyond a flimsy attempt at reproducing Austen's prose, the author completely lacks knowledge of what a gentleman like Darcy would be doing with his time, besides mooning on his love interest.
Because I know Austen by heart (P&P I read several times a year, no hiding it) it's hard for me to escape a harsh critical mindset.

I'm reading your Rogue story now!

Favorite movie/book line: "Give me an occupation, madam, or I shall run mad."
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
Bum nutjob joining
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2015, 06:34:00 AM »
Nora, we read Seraphina with the book club a while ago, if you start it, you may want to check those topics out to see what we thought about it. Oh, and the sequel came out this month, so good timing! :)

Munroe's 'what if' is brilliant. I love it!
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Online Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2015, 08:32:12 AM »
Ah that's cool Xiagan, I was a bit puzzled by the idea of read-alongs, so doing that with Seraphina will surely enlighten me and I'll see if I should join the book club.
But I've got a pretty thick list of books burning my ebook for after Seraphina, like Vicious, a monster calls, thesatanic bible, Elantris, the devil you know... Without mentioning the books that were referred to me for my own writing.
Argh! I want to stay a free spirit!  ;D

Jmacyk is that an Austen based quote? I don't recognize it!

Ok I PROBABLY ought to post this on a more Austen or regency drama oriented thread but... Women, hold on to your undies...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOFps_Naytg&feature=youtube_gdata

Online Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2015, 08:37:58 AM »
Hiiiiiiiiiiiih miiiiister Tilneyyyyyy!!   ;D

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2015, 12:23:04 PM »
physics, (...), Greene

Oh! Do you mean Brian Greene? I *love* his books, despite having physics knowledge of less than high school - the latest, Hidden Reality, is mind blowing.
I didn't know anyone who liked him. :)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2015, 12:44:17 PM »
Jmacyk is that an Austen based quote? I don't recognize it!
Ok I PROBABLY ought to post this on a more Austen or regency drama oriented thread but... Women, hold on to your undies...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOFps_Naytg&feature=youtube_gdata
Quote is Colonel Brandon in Sense & Sensibility movie, to Elinor, as he is pacing the rug bare during Marianne's illness.

Video will be immediately posted on Facebook, especially for my daughter.  ;D
www.starlit-lands.com

Online Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2015, 02:17:15 AM »
physics, (...), Greene

Oh! Do you mean Brian Greene? I *love* his books, despite having physics knowledge of less than high school - the latest, Hidden Reality, is mind blowing.

Yes yes the same Greene! I have The fabric of the Cosmos, The hidden reality and The Elegant Universe.
I'll check out his last one!
If you're curious about Dark matter and Dark energy, you should totally read The Cosmic cocktail by Katherine Freese. She plays the dumb blonde in the beginning but don't be fouled and read on, it's brilliant!
I'd also point out One Two Three Infinity by George Gamow
Kip Thorne with The science of Interstellar and Black Holes and Time Warps, all the Hawking and The character of physics by very famous Richard P Feynman. I landed a pdf that is the complete assembly of all his physics lectures. Maybe one day I'll turbo my knowledge back up to end of high school level in order to properly enjoy those.

By thumbs up to The Sixth Extinction by Elizabeth Kolbert

@Jmacyk : my pleasure!
It's good you remind me of this movie, I've seen it only once and I should get it back, I don't remember it that well. I reckon I was a bit annoyed at the premise, too easy to see where the bad boy vs good man fight was leading us. :p

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2015, 01:08:09 PM »
physics, (...), Greene

Yes yes the same Greene! I have The fabric of the Cosmos, The hidden reality and The Elegant Universe.
I'll check out his last one!

It seems you already have it, it's your second name ??
And thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them at my local library.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams