June 17, 2019, 12:00:53 PM

Author Topic: Anyone for a brew?  (Read 989 times)

Offline nettletea

Anyone for a brew?
« on: November 27, 2018, 02:17:11 PM »
Hello! I haven't read much fiction over the last couple of years but have been slowly getting back into it of late. My son is 4 now, so things are "calming down" - as in, he is in bed and asleep at a predictable time every evening now, and sleeps through until morning. Sigh of relief. I recently sat up and cried "Books! I used to love books!"  ;D

Of course I still don't get out as much as I used to, so I've been looking for somewhere to make some friends and discuss books - maybe even join in with some Read Alongs. This place looks comfortable. I can bring my own tea.. :)

I don't know what I'll read first. Now I've remembered that books exist, I feel positively spoilt for choice.. and of course I have no knowledge of what was released in the last five years or so. :)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: Anyone for a brew?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 02:42:11 PM »
Welcome @nettletea!
You've come to the right place, there's lots to read - you can actually create a thread on the main Discussion area asking for recommendations: if you tell us which books you enjoyed in the past, we will be happy to update you with the latest releases :)

Things have been a bit quiet lately, there hasn't been a regular read along in a while, but that doesn't mean we can't start again.
One thing I do, if I'm reading a book that had a read along in the past, is posting there anyway, and reading the old comments: there's always some oldies who will reply.

I recently sat up and cried "Books! I used to love books!"
;D

We have a pub in the General area: tea is very welcome! 8)
*thinks that it's a good time to go have a cuppa now*

(where in the UK are you? we have people from all over)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline nettletea

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2018, 03:29:20 PM »
Thanks for the welcome, ScarletBea!

I live near Ely and work in Cambridge. Anyone from the same area may see me browsing the stacks in Toppings soon.. ;)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 03:35:01 PM »
Ah, still a bit far: I'm in Yorkshire :)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Online JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 11:50:14 PM »
Hi, @nettletea
We’ve already met over Startide Rising, but I figure SBea shouldn’t be the only long-time resident to welcome you.
Welcome!  ;D

Yes, there’s so much that’s come out in the last 5 years. Among other things, you might look into the Divine Cities trilogy, starting with “City of Stairs”. There’s also the brilliant, award-winning series by N.K. Jemison that starts with “The Fifth Season”.

Glad you found us!
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2018, 12:10:40 AM »
Glad to have you, @nettletea, like Jmack said, a few of us longtimers should welcome you, so to that end g'day from Australia.

Offline nettletea

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 08:23:13 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I see that's three of you now.. I'll put a kettle on the fire.  ;)

I'm keen to hear all about what's new and great in the last few years so thanks for your recommendations. I hope to get on with finishing Robin Hobb's Fitz and Fool trilogy over Christmas and January, and then I will be looking for a new world to settle in for a while. :)