August 15, 2018, 03:21:28 PM

Author Topic: *peeps head around corner* Hello?  (Read 2032 times)

Offline SevasTra82

*peeps head around corner* Hello?
« on: January 02, 2018, 05:55:40 PM »
I never truly know what to say in posts like this...

Fantasy-Faction followed me on Twitter a long time ago and I followed back, but did not give it much thought, until recently.  I witnessed on my timeline the bit of drama that recently happened here (not to bring it up, sorry), and something stuck out to me.  This site seemed to have a very loyal and polite fan base.  I was amazed by the maturity, friendliness, and "come together" moments that I witnessed, and well...it made me want to be a part of that.

I could probably make this post 250k words long, but I'll refrain from the details LOL.  Basically, I'm a lover of Fantasy stories (of any type..reading, watching, listening, etc).  I have a Youtube/Booktube channel dedicated to talking about fantasy books.  I have my twitter in which I do the same.  Basically...I'm like the rest of you, I'm gathering lol.

I'm also a struggling author.  I've always wanted to tell the tale that is in my head, but I've never written anything before.  So I am working through the mental issues of figuring out how to write, the fear of writing, and the self-esteem attached to it.  It's been a struggle.

I've had a lot of trouble finding people to connect to oddly enough (you would think it would be easy in this day and age), so this is my feeble attempt to join a community and hopefully make some friends, and possibly find some individuals to help me through my writing dream.  The twitter community seemed so friendly, so I have hopes that the messegeboard one will prove to be equally nice :D

Thanks everyone!

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: *peeps head around corner* Hello?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 06:02:20 PM »
Hey, welcome!
You've reached the right place, this forum exists somewhere outside the usual space-time continuum, and drama doesn't reach us (*knock on wood* ;D )

Feel free to run amock, posting in old threads or creating new ones!

And I'm not a writer, but the ones that are sing their praises to our Monthly Writing Contest, saying it helped them quite a lot :) You've got a WHOLE month to write a story on our January theme ;D

Where are you, and who are your favourite authors at the moment?
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline SevasTra82

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 06:13:51 PM »
Hey, welcome!
You've reached the right place, this forum exists somewhere outside the usual space-time continuum, and drama doesn't reach us (*knock on wood* ;D )

Feel free to run amock, posting in old threads or creating new ones!

And I'm not a writer, but the ones that are sing their praises to our Monthly Writing Contest, saying it helped them quite a lot :) You've got a WHOLE month to write a story on our January theme ;D

Where are you, and who are your favourite authors at the moment?

Thanks for the response! 

I'm actually in Ohio at the moment.

My favorite Authors range from Brandon Sanderson, Joe Abercrombie, Robin Hobb, George RR Martin (huge ASOIAF fan), Terry Brooks, Brian McClellan, Mark Lawrence...along those veins.  I'm always looking for new and exciting authors to read and enjoy!

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 07:16:04 PM »
Welcome

Have you changed the spare room into a library yet? if not why?
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 07:33:26 PM »
Welcome.

And yes, this is the only community I've come across on the wretched hive of scum and villainy that is the internet that I've found worth investing in.

I'm also a struggling author.  I've always wanted to tell the tale that is in my head, but I've never written anything before.  So I am working through the mental issues of figuring out how to write, the fear of writing, and the self-esteem attached to it.  It's been a struggle.

Yeah. That's me fourteen years ago.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 08:34:52 PM »
Welcome Miss Sevas, you are very welcome here. We're wrestling with some of the same challenges, and there's safety in numbers :)  I'm interested to know more about your writing, what you're trying to put together, all that. There are some very wise people here and I have found their advice sound and well-articulated. Look forward to hearing more from you here.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 08:44:29 PM »
Hello and welcome Sevas, we believe this part of Fantasy Faction has the most fun, so don’t be put off if we get a bit crazy at times.  ;D Be warned your TBR will become horrendously huge now you’ve joined us.

@ScarletBea  Please could you link Sevas the Sticky topic about jokes and Atku so *she understands some of our nonsense? Can’t even copy urls at moment, driving me mad. >:(

*He  :-[ Sorry  ;D
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 12:31:29 AM by Lady Ty »
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 12:04:21 AM »
Welcome Sevas. Hope you enjoy your time here. A little bit of advice about your writing, I'd recommend checking out and even entering our monthly short story contest. It's a great way to work on your skills and actually get some of your work out there to a nurturing and appreciative audience.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline SevasTra82

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 12:20:46 AM »
Thanks everyone for the warm wishes!  Btw, I'm a male, not female...perhaps my avatar is throwing people off? Haha.

I look forward to poking around some more and seeing what I can dig up.  Seems like a friendly place thus far! 

I very well may join the writing contest, it sounds like a lot of fun!

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 02:41:25 AM »
Hah! Yeah, saw the pic and didn't think. First embarrassing moment of 2018 - and it only took 48 hours.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 07:05:30 AM »
Welcome! Good to have you here :) I hope it's both fun and really helpful to your writing.

Online ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 08:32:55 AM »
@ScarletBea  Please could you link Sevas the Sticky topic about jokes and Atku so he understands some of our nonsense? Can’t even copy urls at moment, driving me mad. >:(
Here ;D

http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/index.php?topic=9696.0

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline SevasTra82

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 10:57:45 AM »
Welcome

Have you changed the spare room into a library yet? if not why?

Wait....how did you know about the spare room?  You've been spying on me? LoL

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2018, 02:45:28 PM »
Hi, @SevasTra82

I’m a little late to welcome wagon, but welcome anyway! Glad you found us.
I have a few answers to questions you asked or should have:

> Yes, @Eclipse is spying on you. Put tape over the computer camera and lock up your badminton equipment. 
> ScarletBea is the closest thing we have to a cruise director
> Atku God of Goats is real. I thought he was the worst thing that could happen, but then came the last U.S. election....
>Ohio exists too. You assert it, but the fact my son lives there is more persuasive of the case.
> This the best (only) forum I’ve ever been on in the den of scum and villainy know as the inter webs.
> The Brits add “u”s and commas in the strangest places.

Let the wild ruckus begin!  ;D
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 02:47:01 PM by Jmack »
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Online ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2018, 04:22:04 PM »
> ScarletBea is the closest thing we have to a cruise director
;D
I didn't know this! What do cruise directors do, really? :D