February 23, 2018, 12:54:50 AM

Author Topic: Your favorite things about Skyrim!  (Read 4592 times)

Offline Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
Re: Your favorite things about Skyrim!
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2017, 01:38:23 PM »
I'm super excited to try out the new Cyrodil mod-- it sounds awesome!

The PS4 mods are pretty limited.  I need to buy a new computer and a new monitor just to play mega-modded skyrim on....

So I know I said this in the very beginning but I love how Skyrim somehow manages Nordic unity yet with each city still being unique with architecture, weather, people, sayings etc, but similar enough to feel cohesive.  I'm fixated on that b/c it's brilliant and I want to achieve that in my own writing!

Offline DaveEllis

« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2017, 03:15:56 PM »
In 7 days I am going to be able to play handheld Skyrim and this is making me unbelievably excited.  I never played the DLC first time round and its been a good 3 years since played the original so really, really looking forward to getting stuck into a new character.

Offline Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2017, 05:23:58 AM »
When the deals for xmas/ black friday/cyber monday come out I'm gonnna get a new monitor, a new computer and it'll be time to play skyrim!!!!!!

Offline Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2017, 04:34:17 AM »

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2017, 12:30:18 PM »
Sorry for double post, but I just went back to playing Skyrim a little bit today, and it was an awesome experience. I felt totally in love for the Bloodskal blade of the Dragonborn expansion. Have you ever imagined yourself swinging swords so that they give off rays of slashing heat like in various movies/ animes? This is totally something like that in Skyrim.  :D Overall though, I think I do enjoy the plotlines and various features in the Dawnguard more than the Dragonborn DLC.

Offline Syner

« Reply #51 on: December 05, 2017, 04:40:12 PM »
Mods. Recently decided to try out some quest mods. Normally I stay far away from quest mods because imo the bulk of them are either unfinished or bug ridden. With that said the quest mod Vigilant caught my attention, and me being a huge fan of dark souls, which the mod is heavily inspired by, I figured WTH. I cannot express how floored I am with that mod after having finished it. The writing, the environments, the epic boss battles( granted you also install the appropriate combat mods ). The mod however will trick you. What I mean by that is the initial stages of the quest will have you thinking it's no different than fetch quest Skyrim is riddled with, but by Act3 and 4 it really becomes an entirely new monster unto itself.

Like I said it's heavily inspired by dark souls, but uses TES lore for its backdrop, so there is not a lot of hand holding Skyrim has conditioned us with and Act 4 there is absolutely no hand holding and there are few moments, based on your choices where you can literally skip half of the mod and go straight to Act 4. Act 3 at one point literally had me wanting to stop playing because it was scaring the **** out of me( SPOILERS particularly the Red Witch ). I would also argue that while the entire mod is dark souls inspired I'd say Act 3 gave me more of a Silent Hill vibe. All the little notes and journals you find are very well written and add to the overall story. The english voice-over add on can be bad in some spots but overall they did a good job. The multi-tiered dungeons in Act 4 are amazingly designed, and not to hate on Bethesda but they should take notes.

When I think that it was all done by one man... just wow. This is why I still play Skyrim :) .

Offline Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2017, 11:09:04 PM »
Mods. Recently decided to try out some quest mods. Normally I stay far away from quest mods because imo the bulk of them are either unfinished or bug ridden. With that said the quest mod Vigilant caught my attention, and me being a huge fan of dark souls, which the mod is heavily inspired by, I figured WTH. I cannot express how floored I am with that mod after having finished it. The writing, the environments, the epic boss battles( granted you also install the appropriate combat mods ). The mod however will trick you. What I mean by that is the initial stages of the quest will have you thinking it's no different than fetch quest Skyrim is riddled with, but by Act3 and 4 it really becomes an entirely new monster unto itself.

Like I said it's heavily inspired by dark souls, but uses TES lore for its backdrop, so there is not a lot of hand holding Skyrim has conditioned us with and Act 4 there is absolutely no hand holding and there are few moments, based on your choices where you can literally skip half of the mod and go straight to Act 4. Act 3 at one point literally had me wanting to stop playing because it was scaring the **** out of me( SPOILERS particularly the Red Witch ). I would also argue that while the entire mod is dark souls inspired I'd say Act 3 gave me more of a Silent Hill vibe. All the little notes and journals you find are very well written and add to the overall story. The english voice-over add on can be bad in some spots but overall they did a good job. The multi-tiered dungeons in Act 4 are amazingly designed, and not to hate on Bethesda but they should take notes.

When I think that it was all done by one man... just wow. This is why I still play Skyrim :) .

I can't wait until my new computer comes in the mail so I can try it!!!
You can't get quest mods on consoles, right?
I eventually want to build some of my own quests in skyrim....

Offline Syner

« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2017, 02:45:05 AM »
I'm not sure if you can get quest mods on consoles or not. I would think if it's a quest mod that entirely uses the assets in Skyrim and doesn't require SKSE then you probably could. As to if Vigilant is available on consoles, I don't know.

Here's the trailer to wet your appetite :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eJYcGUqzME   

Offline Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2017, 07:20:30 AM »
I'm not sure if you can get quest mods on consoles or not. I would think if it's a quest mod that entirely uses the assets in Skyrim and doesn't require SKSE then you probably could. As to if Vigilant is available on consoles, I don't know.

Here's the trailer to wet your appetite :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eJYcGUqzME

OMG I'M SO EXCITED TO GET MY COMPUTER AND PLAY SKYRIM ON MY NEW TV I CANT WAIT I CANT WAIT I CANT WAIT

It looks beautiful! But yeah, a couple of those voice actors.... shouldn't quite their day job.  I'm not a big fan of hellscapes tbh (prolly b/c I'm afraid of Silent Hill invading my sub-conscience) but this one looks like it's gonna be fun!

Overall though, I think I do enjoy the plotlines and various features in the Dawnguard more than the Dragonborn DLC.

Inkers (you're impossible to summon)-- I never made it far on any of the main questline nor Dawnguard nor Dragonborn.  I'm terrible.  I've done the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves' Guild ones like 6 times over and over with different characters tho.  My fav artifact is prolly the boots that let you walk on water.  And my fav part of the expansion is the ability tree for the werewolves-- I need to find a mod that lets you get even stronger!!!

Offline Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2017, 10:12:58 PM »

This looks AWESOME too!!!!

https://skyblivion.com/

Offline Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2017, 07:21:02 AM »
Okay I got Skyrim installed on my computer and so I went to the store, got some canned soup and water so I won't have to leave my house or sleep for days and started modding.

I almost got the OG version b/c mods, but I went for SE b/c... idk I thought performance would be better... SE has less than 1% of the mods on Oldrim, which is really disappointing no one's even bothering to make them really. But I got some awesome ones I already installed Bruma!!!!!

So the first day I was doing character mods, b/c while it's charming to pick from 32 types of dirt and scars to smear your balding, beer-bellied character with... no it's not.  Skyrim is pretty famous for *all* of its characters being fugly af (the elves seriously look like they're about to abduct you to their space ship for an anal probe) so the first thing I did was a total character make over for every character in the game.  But the hair still  looked like spaghettied ommpah loompah (how do you spell oompa loompa?), but apparently you can't just get a texture mod for hair you've gotta install all new hairdos, so I got one which had like 450 hairstyles for women (overkill?) and 5 for guys. Everyone looks like a totally different person!!  It's like playing a new game. Except the same 5 guy haircuts just repeat themselves... which is sort of not immersive... and old dudes might be silver but they look like a hip dad on a CW tv show or something... but the hair looks like hair! It's kinda cool in that everyone looks waaaaaaaayyyyy better but they almost look *too* good.  I mean everyone is now 20-something.  Belethor looks like he belongs in a hipster boyband from Echo Park.  And you talk to this mega hot chick in a bonnet and it turns out her name is Hilde and her voice is like 90 years old.

Speaking of which, I did a UNB female body replacer, so Hilde *is* really hot. So are the homeless chicks so I'm like strangely attracted despite the errr raspy tore-up voice. There's like 10,000 body re placers for women with weirdly specific options, bouncieness, sweat, size of ankle, seprerate mods for 100 eyelash options, armor you name it... but not age.  For dudes there's only one body replacer.  Only one.  It's got kind of a huge drawback and that's dicks.  Dicks seem to be the main thing on the author's mind b/c on install the first question it asks is if you want everyone to be circumcised or not.  Unfortunately it removes all of the underwear which I didnt mind as much on the female mod, but dicks are really just intrusive, way more than vaginas. I didn't think it would bother me that much but I was wrong. Like it's wayyyyyy worse than I thought it was gonna be.  Cuz you loot bodies after you kill someone and it's like WOOOOOOAAAAHHHH i did NOT want to see that.  Nevermind that the corpses in skyrim tend to fall in funny positions.  It's too much.   i need to find an underwear mod to bring the loincloths back... but modding is kinda complicated b/c you've got load order but then you install something it overwrites something else so the install order matters too and it gives me a huge headache.  I tried out a global better armors mod and it gave the Winterhold guards these fugly GI Joe wide helmet things so i uninstalled it and somewhere between trying tons of stuff Eorlund (the elderly blacksmith guy at the Skyforge) is just naked. Making swords in the nude. Did not want to see that.

So after characters I spent 2 days f*ing with lighting textures and ENBs.  I'm really struggling with the ENBs b/c they're complicated to load, there's SOOOO many factors based upon what over lighting mods you have installed, some of them straight up crash your shit and you have to pick the right performance/DoF and I'm super indecisive so I keep installing just a shitton of different ones.  I had one that was very pretty but it was toooo colorful Windhelm looked like the Witcher.  But mostly I'm just indecisive af and I need someone to tell me what to choose.

So I made two characters one is a ginger like me, but I also started experimenting with playing the MC from my novel as a character.  I've been told I need to rewrite him so it's a good exercise for really seeing him in my minds eye and trying to pick out what he would do in various situations.  RIght now he's running around in rags b/c there is no non-bulky leather armor (there's 10,000 mods for sexy girl armor, but not even something basic for a male thief) but I kinda like the vulnerability of it.  It's fun knowing you have to dodge or you'll die.  I think it's really helping me, except I can't stop playing long enough to actually write (or sleep) Speaking of which writing this took forever and I've been dying to get back to skyrim the whole time, so I guess I'll see you all whenever I run out of food water and money and have to come back out of my room in 2020 or so.

PS-- if any of you are modding let me know your ENB/environmental build!!!!!
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 07:31:00 AM by Bradley Darewood »

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2017, 09:15:56 AM »
Wow, those textures, is that really Skyrim?  :o Amazing mods, and I wished my laptop is not as gaming-incapable as it is, or I would have downloaded them too.

Offline Syner

« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2017, 03:52:37 PM »
TMU most, if not all, of the enb mods for skyrim se are lacking a lot of the features that make enb's viable to begin with. If they are giving you too much trouble maybe just install some lighting, fx, flora, weather and fog mods.

Offline Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 26, 2017, 04:36:55 AM »
TMU most, if not all, of the enb mods for skyrim se are lacking a lot of the features that make enb's viable to begin with. If they are giving you too much trouble maybe just install some lighting, fx, flora, weather and fog mods.

So actually there's not a lot of good fog mods for SE.  Strangely, the lighting, weather and shading mods crashed my computer but the ENBs didn't for some reason. I love the ENBs b/c you can do depth of field effects to get that nice background blur, and you can tweak them in-game.  I installed ELFX but ended up only having it apply to interiors b/c it was just impenetrably dark outdoors at night-- I ended up un-installing all the weather/enviro lighting mods I experimented with b/c the ENB alone just looked better (and didn't crash my shit).  I had it perfect at one point (I think with some combo of vivid weathers, ELFX and re-engaged ENB), but install order matters a lot, and I haven't figured out how to get it back to how it looked before (what order and which mods did and didn't I overwrite...) plus it crashes so I'm jsut doing True Storms, ELFX indoor, and re-engaged ENB.

I resolved the young-faces-old-voices problem with a mod that adds wrinkles to old people.  Unfortunately I also experimented with making a female character so I sort of suddenly felt the need to make it so she didn't walk like a robot so I installed a mod that has girls run more feminine like and I also installed a mod that turns every dress into a miniskirt... i really just wanted one mini skirt for my character but I couldn't find a good one so unfortunately now every woman in skyrim is wearing a miniskirt.  So Olava the Feeble now has wrinkles on her face once again, but she seductively swishes her hips while walking up the stairs in her miniskirt....  I keep telling myself I'm going to change it back but I haven't yet....  Also, despite my best efforts the elderly blacksmith Eorlund Gray-Mane is still a nudist I haven't figured out what happened to his clothes or how to get them back on, nor have I located that male loincloth-underwear mod I'm in desperate need of.

I installed a million quest mods, but by far my favorite is the Conan one. You go in the cave with red smoke full of impenetrable shadows and piles of bones and double-snake sculptures and the conan music comes on and you here these creepy undead grunts and it's like you can just see the glowing eyes in the darkness and it's so scary!!!!   I'm playing with a character that only wears rags and leveled up with pickpocket so he's not a particularly good fighter and and if I want to see anything I have to use a torch in my left hand so I'm mostly running away lighting dragur on fire with my torch having a great time.  The hilarious part is that you can get Conan's little fur bikini in the quest along with a heavy metal helmet-- It really makes you realize how absurd Conan the Barbarian really is-- why is he wearing a heavy metal helmet then just a frigging bikini for the rest of his body???  Plus with charcoal and troll fat you can craft the body paint from the movie and smear 80s triangles all over your body to help you sneak better.  I was dying laughing.  There's a point where you talk to Conan's ghost, in which a voice actor does a piss-poor imitation of Schwarzenegger's Austrian accent because clearly Cimmerians should sound like Austrians. The whole thing cracked me tf up and I had a ton of fun playing it.  I should go back and post some screenshots of it...

« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 07:56:07 AM by Bradley Darewood »