October 23, 2017, 10:27:26 AM

Author Topic: HTC Vive (The Discussion Thread!)  (Read 6968 times)

Offline m3mnoch

Re: HTC Vive (The Discussion Thread!)
« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2017, 06:52:51 PM »
yeah.  that doesn't seem optimal.  it should be temporary, tho.  fo' sho'.

despite a year or so of tinkering, the first time i had a vr freakout was only a couple months ago.  i was in a passive-experience-just-checking-out-a-super-high-res-movie-quality-cgi demo with k-2so.  we had his "last stand" queued up.  the storm troopers were banging on the door and i was standing there, looking up at a really tall k-2so (he's 7'1") and marveling at the grit and dirt in his joints -- when he decided to walk right through me to get to the door.

totally jumped and squealed like a 3 year-old child.

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #76 on: June 23, 2017, 05:40:56 PM »
Every other Friday, I play a trivia game called "WHAT'S IN THE BOX!" with some folks in virtual reality (in an app called VRChat). There are boxes in the nine circles of Hell, and you stick your head inside the box to view an image or listen to an audio clip. Your goal is to match the image or audio clip to the clue brazier nearby. There are multiple teams competing, and the goal is to complete the circles as fast as possible.

Our team leader, Zirconswift, just posted a video of our trivia run through from last week. It's fun stuff, and you can play along! (I'm the N7 in the black outfit).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo_zuicPE0M[/youtube]
T. Eric Bakutis: 2014 Compton Crook Finalist and author of Tales of the Five Provinces

You can read my cyberpunk police procedural Loose Circuit for free at the link!

Offline Bradley Darewood

• Brandon Darewoodson
  • Writing Group
  • Kingkiller
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #77 on: June 24, 2017, 11:15:58 AM »

Testing

[youtube]oo_zuicPE0M[/youtube]

Yup.  pretty broke

Offline Bradley Darewood

• Brandon Darewoodson
  • Writing Group
  • Kingkiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 18, 2017, 05:53:43 AM »
@tebakutis I just met someone who told me you can play skyrim in VR with a software called vsoft.  That sounds like CRAZY fun.

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #79 on: September 18, 2017, 06:56:03 PM »
@tebakutis I just met someone who told me you can play skyrim in VR with a software called vsoft.  That sounds like CRAZY fun.

Yeah, you can actually convert a number of flatscreen games to VR (including GTA) using some third-party tools. However, it's not a full VR experience - it still falls flat because the game wasn't designed for it.

Bethesda is bringing Skyrim to VR officially early next year (for PSVR initially, but they'll probably port it to the other platforms as well). It'll be interesting to see how it translates! And of course Fallout 4 VR (the entire game!) is coming out before the end of this year.
T. Eric Bakutis: 2014 Compton Crook Finalist and author of Tales of the Five Provinces

Offline Bradley Darewood

• Brandon Darewoodson
  • Writing Group
  • Kingkiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 20, 2017, 06:00:16 PM »

Yeah, you can actually convert a number of flatscreen games to VR (including GTA) using some third-party tools. However, it's not a full VR experience - it still falls flat because the game wasn't designed for it.

Bethesda is bringing Skyrim to VR officially early next year (for PSVR initially, but they'll probably port it to the other platforms as well). It'll be interesting to see how it translates! And of course Fallout 4 VR (the entire game!) is coming out before the end of this year.

Would I be able to play Skyrim in VR with 8GB or RAM?  The listed specs for VR are pretty low for RAM, but I have a hard time believing it...

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #81 on: September 20, 2017, 06:24:39 PM »
I'm not sure, as I'm not 100% on specs (though I do know they are dropping quickly) but this may offer some clues.

Oculus:
https://support.oculus.com/1633938460220125/

HTC Vive (Steam):
http://store.steampowered.com/app/323910/SteamVR_Performance_Test/

Bethesda hasn't announced Skyrim VR for anything but PSVR, so I'm not sure if they plan to release it for the more powerful platforms or not. I do have a PSVR, so I'll certainly be checking it out when it releases and can let you know what it's like at least on the PS4/PSVR.

I'd say the biggest downside of Skyrim on PS4 is you can't mod it to ridiculous levels like you can on PC. But, if they have adapted it for PSVR, I don't see *why* they couldn't adapt it for Oculus/Vive. Maybe they just feel that, since they're releasing Fallout VR and Doom VR for Vive, ALSO adding Skyrim VR would split their market too much? I dunno!

It could also be that Skyrim was a really big hit on PS4, and so they're bringing Skyrim VR to PS4 first because they hope there's a built-in market there. All speculation though.

Regardless, I'll try it (once it's out) and report back!

Offline Bradley Darewood

• Brandon Darewoodson
  • Writing Group
  • Kingkiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2017, 07:01:03 AM »

1) So do you have a PSVR *and* an HTC Vive?????
2) Which do you prefer and
3) If I have an apartment the size of a small closet and just room for a desk and a chair with my bed couch right behind it, is that enough physical space to really use VR?  Or should I just forget about it?

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2017, 04:44:16 PM »

1) So do you have a PSVR *and* an HTC Vive?????
2) Which do you prefer and
3) If I have an apartment the size of a small closet and just room for a desk and a chair with my bed couch right behind it, is that enough physical space to really use VR?  Or should I just forget about it?

1) Yes, I have both (I bought the PSVR hoping to play some good exclusives) but honestly ended up never using the PSVR after a few hours playing with their demos. From a comfort perspective, PSVR is great, and they have some really high-quality games, too. But their hand tracking is not good, and I had problems with "drift", where the whole world would start to slowly rotate the longer I played. Not good.

2) I prefer Vive by a mile. The Vive is far better (which makes sense, given it's twice the price) and the PSVR never quite tracked properly for me. However, YMMV. PSVR is a good entry point but can't really complete with Vive or Oculus Rift in the tracking/immersion department. At this point (assuming you have a beefy PC, of course) Oculus Rift is close to the same price and a better choice (IMO). The reason I recommend Oculus over Vive (currently) is they do the same thing, but Oculus is still about $100-$200 cheaper, depending on the specials you get.

3) All three current VR options support seated, standing or roomscale (though PSVR is best with sitting/standing). Basically, you can do sitting/standing VR in the same space you'd use to sit at your computer. You have the *option* to do roomscale (if you ever get a bigger place) but it is not required to use VR. Most VR apps either allow you to teleport from place to place (zero motion sickness) or, once you get your "VR legs", you can move in VR using a trackpad. That *will* make you motion sick if you do it before you've adjusted to VR movement though (it takes a different amount of time for different people) so I recommend sticking with teleportation for a month or two and easing yourself into sliding movement.

I think the biggest misunderstanding I see now is people assuming they NEED roomscale to do VR. Roomscale is nice, but not required, and any VR headset that can do roomscale can ALSO (of course) do sitting or standing, with no roomscale movement. If you have enough space to stand, turn in place, and bend over (to grab things off the ground) you can play most VR experiences without issue. The biggest problem I can see if you were SUPER tight on space is if you ended up smacking your monitor or wall while trying to swing your sword at something. :)

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #84 on: October 12, 2017, 07:09:42 PM »
OMG LOL.

You can now play JRPGs in VR.

I don't know how to feel about this. I'm morbidly curious, but $39.99 is steep.

Anyway, if you want to fight monsters and hang out with your waifu, I guess this is the game for that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGTJrsxYhn4

Offline Jmack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 12, 2017, 07:56:56 PM »
I love Studio Ghibli and movies of that ilk. The more manga-linked stuff like this video just make me simultaneously crack up and cringe.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Bradley Darewood

• Brandon Darewoodson
  • Writing Group
  • Kingkiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 12, 2017, 09:39:35 PM »
OMG LOL.

You can now play JRPGs in VR.

I don't know how to feel about this. I'm morbidly curious, but $39.99 is steep.

Anyway, if you want to fight monsters and hang out with your waifu, I guess this is the game for that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGTJrsxYhn4

OMG the ending to that video

Offline Jmack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 12, 2017, 11:55:55 PM »
Oh, my.  I didn’t get that far until you said that.
Please, pet me some more!
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)