December 12, 2017, 12:32:34 AM

Author Topic: The Magicians on Syfy  (Read 6299 times)

Offline Hedin

Re: The Magicians on Syfy
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2017, 01:14:04 PM »
Well aren't they all wretched human beings?  That was my hardest thing about the first book (haven't read the others yet) is that while the story itself was interesting I just couldn't get behind any of the characters.  I understand what Grossman was doing with them but it definitely detracted from the story for me.

Offline Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Kingkiller
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2017, 05:59:52 AM »
Well aren't they all wretched human beings?  That was my hardest thing about the first book (haven't read the others yet) is that while the story itself was interesting I just couldn't get behind any of the characters.  I understand what Grossman was doing with them but it definitely detracted from the story for me.

Yeah that's why I couldn't get through the book.

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2017, 08:43:58 AM »
I haven't read the books but finding the TV series quite enjoyable. I detest the characters though, apart from The Beast (who is great). Strangely enough, I find myself still wanting to watch the story and magic unfold despite the characters.
The Traitor God, published by Angry Robot June 2018

http://www.cameronjohnston.net/

Offline Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Kingkiller
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2017, 10:04:20 AM »
I haven't read the books but finding the TV series quite enjoyable. I detest the characters though, apart from The Beast (who is great). Strangely enough, I find myself still wanting to watch the story and magic unfold despite the characters.

Yeah I really enjoyed the show-- I think not being all the way inside Quentin's head allows you to detest him from a distance instead of being completely immersed in the muck.  I think the modifications they made to the narrative were definitely good ones

(on the other hand I'm a nerd, so I'd watch teeeerrrrrrrrible TV so long as it had magic in it)

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2017, 04:12:52 AM »
So uh, when I wrote my BattleTheBeast story for the Wattpad contest, I was worried it was too violent by comparison to the show and tweaked it down just a tad to be safe.

Given how dark tonight's episode was, I'm starting to think I shouldn't have been worried. Holy **** (literally).

Watch the ep and you'll understand the reference. :)
T. Eric Bakutis: 2014 Compton Crook Finalist and author of Tales of the Five Provinces

You can read my cyberpunk police procedural Loose Circuit for free at the link!

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2017, 08:48:06 PM »
Just caught up! Still interesting to see where the series differs from the books and where not.

Spoiler for Hiden:
The two pregnancies aren't in the book. I'm curious if we'll see any children (or whatever) born.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2017, 09:33:26 PM »
I just couldn't be bothered to watch season 2... :-\
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
In traditional art I see what the artist made. In contemporary/modern art I see myself...

Offline Hedin

« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2017, 12:59:10 PM »

I'm watching it (haven't caught last night's episode yet) but I may be out on it pretty soon, just isn't very interesting right now.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2017, 05:31:01 AM »
Should I get into the series? I've started on a few episodes (maybe unti episode 5?) of season 1 before I stopped watching, since there didn't seem to be much going on. Besides, I despise the main character and doesn't really felt a connection with him. The magic scenes were quite average as well, does it get better as the series progresses?  :-\

Offline Hedin

« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2017, 12:53:16 PM »

I'm watching it (haven't caught last night's episode yet) but I may be out on it pretty soon, just isn't very interesting right now.

And after watching this week's episode and seeing the preview for next week's I'm out.

SK - the first season picks up a bit towards the end but aside from about one episode the second season has been pretty dull. 

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #70 on: March 02, 2017, 03:43:50 PM »
Should I get into the series? I've started on a few episodes (maybe unti episode 5?) of season 1 before I stopped watching, since there didn't seem to be much going on. Besides, I despise the main character and doesn't really felt a connection with him. The magic scenes were quite average as well, does it get better as the series progresses?  :-\

Just to provide an alternative perspective, I <3 The Magicians. It has just the perfect amount of darkness, snark, and comedy (in a similar vein to Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Supernatural) to hook me. I enjoy the hell out of the show, but I recognize YMMV.
T. Eric Bakutis: 2014 Compton Crook Finalist and author of Tales of the Five Provinces

You can read my cyberpunk police procedural Loose Circuit for free at the link!

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2017, 07:59:56 PM »

Just to provide an alternative perspective, I <3 The Magicians. It has just the perfect amount of darkness, snark, and comedy (in a similar vein to Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Supernatural) to hook me. I enjoy the hell out of the show, but I recognize YMMV.
Seconded!

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2017, 02:43:35 PM »
Finally finished the second season. I got bored in the middle (too much fillorian bullshit) but they wrap it up nicely with enough open to see the need for season three.
What I enjoy most abut the series is that it stays with the books where it counts but go there on completely different ways. :)

Offline Syner

« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2017, 01:52:27 AM »
Have not read the books, but I'm liking the show even though admittedly I started watching in season 2. Still need to watch S1 :). I think it's pretty unique take on the whole "magic world" melding between drama and comedy pretty fluidly.