August 21, 2017, 05:32:34 AM

Author Topic: The Magicians on Syfy  (Read 5541 times)

Offline Hedin

Re: The Magicians on Syfy
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2017, 01:14:04 PM »
Well aren't they all wretched human beings?  That was my hardest thing about the first book (haven't read the others yet) is that while the story itself was interesting I just couldn't get behind any of the characters.  I understand what Grossman was doing with them but it definitely detracted from the story for me.

Offline Bradley Darewood

• Brandon Darewoodson
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2017, 05:59:52 AM »
Well aren't they all wretched human beings?  That was my hardest thing about the first book (haven't read the others yet) is that while the story itself was interesting I just couldn't get behind any of the characters.  I understand what Grossman was doing with them but it definitely detracted from the story for me.

Yeah that's why I couldn't get through the book.

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2017, 08:43:58 AM »
I haven't read the books but finding the TV series quite enjoyable. I detest the characters though, apart from The Beast (who is great). Strangely enough, I find myself still wanting to watch the story and magic unfold despite the characters.
Welcome, Watchers of illusion, to the castle of confusion.
Spellcasting: W.I.N.E
http://cameronjohnston.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Bradley Darewood

• Brandon Darewoodson
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2017, 10:04:20 AM »
I haven't read the books but finding the TV series quite enjoyable. I detest the characters though, apart from The Beast (who is great). Strangely enough, I find myself still wanting to watch the story and magic unfold despite the characters.

Yeah I really enjoyed the show-- I think not being all the way inside Quentin's head allows you to detest him from a distance instead of being completely immersed in the muck.  I think the modifications they made to the narrative were definitely good ones

(on the other hand I'm a nerd, so I'd watch teeeerrrrrrrrible TV so long as it had magic in it)

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2017, 04:12:52 AM »
So uh, when I wrote my BattleTheBeast story for the Wattpad contest, I was worried it was too violent by comparison to the show and tweaked it down just a tad to be safe.

Given how dark tonight's episode was, I'm starting to think I shouldn't have been worried. Holy **** (literally).

Watch the ep and you'll understand the reference. :)
T. Eric Bakutis: 2014 Compton Crook Finalist and author of Tales of the Five Provinces

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2017, 08:48:06 PM »
Just caught up! Still interesting to see where the series differs from the books and where not.

Spoiler for Hiden:
The two pregnancies aren't in the book. I'm curious if we'll see any children (or whatever) born.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2017, 09:33:26 PM »
I just couldn't be bothered to watch season 2... :-\
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"There is no way to kill someone mercifully. (...) They may claim that their victims did not suffer. They lie. All they may truly say is that the victim's suffering was invisible to them." Robin Hobb ("Fool's Assassin")

Offline Hedin

« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2017, 12:59:10 PM »

I'm watching it (haven't caught last night's episode yet) but I may be out on it pretty soon, just isn't very interesting right now.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2017, 05:31:01 AM »
Should I get into the series? I've started on a few episodes (maybe unti episode 5?) of season 1 before I stopped watching, since there didn't seem to be much going on. Besides, I despise the main character and doesn't really felt a connection with him. The magic scenes were quite average as well, does it get better as the series progresses?  :-\
A literary journal featuring three of my short stories (The Beast of Stone, The Fluttering Heartbeat, and The Creeping Shadows): https://www.amazon.com/Ronin-Express-Literary-Journal/dp/1543115586

Offline Hedin

« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2017, 12:53:16 PM »

I'm watching it (haven't caught last night's episode yet) but I may be out on it pretty soon, just isn't very interesting right now.

And after watching this week's episode and seeing the preview for next week's I'm out.

SK - the first season picks up a bit towards the end but aside from about one episode the second season has been pretty dull. 

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #70 on: March 02, 2017, 03:43:50 PM »
Should I get into the series? I've started on a few episodes (maybe unti episode 5?) of season 1 before I stopped watching, since there didn't seem to be much going on. Besides, I despise the main character and doesn't really felt a connection with him. The magic scenes were quite average as well, does it get better as the series progresses?  :-\

Just to provide an alternative perspective, I <3 The Magicians. It has just the perfect amount of darkness, snark, and comedy (in a similar vein to Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Supernatural) to hook me. I enjoy the hell out of the show, but I recognize YMMV.
T. Eric Bakutis: 2014 Compton Crook Finalist and author of Tales of the Five Provinces

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2017, 07:59:56 PM »

Just to provide an alternative perspective, I <3 The Magicians. It has just the perfect amount of darkness, snark, and comedy (in a similar vein to Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Supernatural) to hook me. I enjoy the hell out of the show, but I recognize YMMV.
Seconded!

Offline xiagan

• Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2017, 02:43:35 PM »
Finally finished the second season. I got bored in the middle (too much fillorian bullshit) but they wrap it up nicely with enough open to see the need for season three.
What I enjoy most abut the series is that it stays with the books where it counts but go there on completely different ways. :)