December 11, 2017, 07:36:44 AM

Author Topic: Fantasy Books Gone Mainstream  (Read 4403 times)

Offline ultamentkiller

Re: Fantasy Books Gone Mainstream
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2017, 11:47:26 PM »
I never finished the book or the series, so I have no idea. I just remember when I was younger the southern baptists screaming "evil book!" Could have been different in other Christian denominations though.

Ta muchly. Southern baptist translates to screaming nut job over here. The baseline being CofE which means you don't actually have to believe in anything at all.
[/quote]
The baptists or the Church of England? I'm confused. Since this is dipping into religion rather than mainstream books, maybe it's the wrong thread? But I'm fascinated.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2017, 02:00:45 AM »
Agreed I took this well off topic. Church of England is very mild and liberal viewed in comparison to even moderate American baptists.

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2017, 04:12:22 AM »
Got it. I'm converting to Orthodox Christianity from Southern Baptist for several reasons, so I feel that.

Back to mainstream books...

Offline Peat

« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2017, 06:38:35 AM »
Anyway, since it did kinda come up last page, here is an example of the UK mainstream(ish) paying attention to SF&F - the Guardian's best SFF books of 2017

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/nov/30/the-best-science-fiction-and-fantasy-of-2017

I feel like its a good snapshot of why I believe everything I said to Bea.

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2017, 03:22:31 PM »
I haven't been able to read much Fantasy in the past couple of months, but for that being a mainstream list, I'm shocked at the titles it doesn't mention. Red Sister by Mark Lawrence is one of the biggest hits in the Fantasy community this year. I would think Age of Swords by Michael J. Sullivan, but I haven't finished it yet so maybe I wouldn't put it on the list. It also didn't get nominated for a Goodreads Choice Award so... I'm not sure when this article was written, but Oathbringer? And I know Demon Cycle is disliked in the major part of the Fantasy community, but the mainstream market seems to love it, so where's The Core?

I did recognize some names, and it gets some credibility in my mind for mentioning Broken Earth, even though I don't like the series. The other authors mentioned are popular, but not I think the ones I mentioned above have more popularity in our community over all.

Edit: Just read your original post. You're definitely right.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 03:24:34 PM by ultamentkiller »

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2017, 07:52:56 PM »
We read together really recent books. So many quality books coming out every year and children want to read what is current and relates to them. This term we have read Varmints by Helen Ward, The Strange Case of Origami Yoda by Tom Angleberger and Leon and the Place Between by Angela Mcallister.  But we still read the class as well
a retelling of Odysseus planned next term.
The Real Powers That Be