December 11, 2017, 07:32:19 AM

Author Topic: What do you look for in a hero?  (Read 11401 times)

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
Re: What do you look for in a hero?
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2013, 05:39:25 PM »
I think is good outline for a hero . . .

"In everything that can be called art there is a quality of redemption. It may be pure tragedy, if it is high tragedy, and it may be pity and irony, and it may be the raucous laughter of the strong man. But down these mean streets a man must go who is not himself mean, who is neither tarnished nor afraid.

The detective in this kind of story must be such a man. He is the hero, he is everything. He must be a complete man and a common man and yet an unusual man. He must be, to use a rather weathered phrase, a man of honor -- by instinct, by inevitability, without thought of it, and certainly without saying it. He must be the best man in his world and a good enough man for any world. I do not care much about his private life; he is neither a eunuch nor a satyr; I think he might seduce a duchess and I am quite sure he would not spoil a virgin; if he is a man of honor in one thing, he is that in all things.

"He is a relatively poor man, or he would not be a detective at all. He is a common man or he could not go among common people. He has a sense of character, or he would not know his job. He will take no man's money dishonestly and no man's insolence without a due and dispassionate revenge. He is a lonely man and his pride is that you will treat him as a proud man or be very sorry you ever saw him. He talks as the man of his age talks -- that is, with a rude wit, a lively sense of the grotesque, a disgust for sham, and a contempt for pettiness.

The story is this man's adventure in search of a hidden truth, and it would be no adventure if it did not happen to a man fit for adventure. He has a range of awareness that startles you, but it belongs to him by right, because it belongs to the world he lives in. If there were enough like him, the world would be a very safe place to live in, without becoming too dull to be worth living in." - Raymond Chandler

Obviously Chandler is talking about a detective hero, but this would make for a great sword weilding (or wand weilding) hero in the type of Sword & Srocery yarns that I love.
Well, my view of my school fellows just went up. I heard about Raymond Chandler a fair bit at school, as one of our libraries is named after him. His writing certainly seems very good. I think I'll give it a try.

I'm going to warn you about his 1930s slang. But his writing is to die for.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2013, 05:57:49 PM »
He’s gotta be strong
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
He’s gotta be sure
And he’s gotta be larger than life

But does he have to be a 'he'? ;)

Just kidding. And thanks for the horrible ear worm. *shudder* ;)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 06:21:00 PM by Arry »
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Justan Henner

• Barbarian who pronounces are, our and hour all the same way
  • Writing Group
  • Valheru
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2013, 05:21:35 AM »
He’s gotta be strong
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
He’s gotta be sure
And he’s gotta be larger than life

But does he have to be a 'he'? ;)

Just kidding. And thanks for the horrible ear worm. *shudder* ;)

Can't spell hero without it.

In all seriousness (<- see our posts match. Joke successfully hedged),  I don't think a character has to be sure, at least not at first. I like a character who starts indecisive because of a lack of knowledge or inexperience. If the  character isn't learning something from their ordeals, it seems a tad pointless to me. but I do think it's accurate to an extent. A hero should be decisive on subjects that challenge their morality, at least it should by the end of the story, when they finally understand their morality.

Edit: Ah, right. My favorite hero is generally the last I've read, unless the next novel doesn't match up to the one before. For a while it went Fitz, then Tyrion (sadly Nevare didn't match up to Fitz), then Fiddler from the Malazan series.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 05:44:35 AM by Justan Henner »

Offline animal74

« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2013, 05:40:31 AM »
I don't have time to answer all the questions fully (nice to see this thread has been resurrected though!) but just wondering if anyone has read Writing Fantasy Heroes edited by Jason M. Waltz (link below)? It has essays from tons of big names (Sanderson, Erikson, Card, etc) about this subject.  I only made it through the first essay but it was very thought provoking.

My favorite hero I think is Druss the Legend (Gemmell). One thing I think a hero has to do is sacrifice something for the sake of his cause. If a hero doesn't have to sacrifice something, it make the heroic deed too easy and superficial.

http://www.amazon.com/Writing-Fantasy-Heroes-Powerful-Presents-ebook/dp/B00C1GK0JC/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1386135320&sr=1-1&keywords=writing+fantasy+heroes
Join The Dark is Rising Readathon starting December 1st!
Facebook Group
Twitter

Offline ALauren

« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2013, 07:53:05 PM »
I don't have time to answer all the questions fully (nice to see this thread has been resurrected though!) but just wondering if anyone has read Writing Fantasy Heroes edited by Jason M. Waltz (link below)? It has essays from tons of big names (Sanderson, Erikson, Card, etc) about this subject.  I only made it through the first essay but it was very thought provoking.

My favorite hero I think is Druss the Legend (Gemmell). One thing I think a hero has to do is sacrifice something for the sake of his cause. If a hero doesn't have to sacrifice something, it make the heroic deed too easy and superficial.

http://www.amazon.com/Writing-Fantasy-Heroes-Powerful-Presents-ebook/dp/B00C1GK0JC/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1386135320&sr=1-1&keywords=writing+fantasy+heroes

Thanks so much for the link and suggestion...I've been looking for something like this!  I'll check it out soon and post my opinion.

« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2013, 05:55:24 PM »
I missed this discussion entirely the first time around, but I'm adding my two cents now.  I actually find that I turn and run from the whole notion of a "hero", which is admittedly weird considering the genre we're discussing.  My absolute favourite thing about ASoIaF isn't that anyone can die (though that's awesome) or the world-building (also awesome) but that we are now 5 books in and I really don't know who the hero is.  Maybe at the beginning the Starks were the obvious choice, but as the story has progressed, everything has been muddied and we really don't know who is going to be the best ruler for the Iron Throne.

I hate the idea that people are "born heroes" and it's their destiny to be great.  I like characters who force change, or do something unexpected and maybe by the end of the story they could be called a hero, but no one walked into these events that way.
Reviews and more at: www.forgedempires.wordpress.com

Online Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2017, 05:19:25 PM »
I like the antihero. Someone who doesn't want to get involved, and doesn't want to be good, but just can't help himself.   Valen in Carol Berg's "Flesh and Spirit" and "Breath and Bone" would be a good example of the kind of hero I like.

Also, seconding Spider-man, because I haven't grown up either.  ;D

@ladybritches , I've just read Flesh and Spirit and thought it was very good I thought I know where the story was going at the start but I was getting constantly surprised in the later chapters somethings I just didn't expect. Only thing what  let the book down for me was the sudden ending like the author had run out of pages to finish her story. It's very much a part one of....... ;)
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Kingkiller
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2017, 09:02:57 PM »
I like that just when you think the hero thread is dead... she keeps coming back

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2017, 03:31:17 AM »
I like that just when you think the hero thread is dead... she keeps coming back

I was more amused by the answer to a post of 4 years ago  ::)

Imagine the surprise if that member has a notify by e-mail enabled.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2017

Offline Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Kingkiller
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2017, 08:11:28 AM »
It's never too late to resurrect a thread with people who think Spidey is awesome :)

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2017, 08:40:46 AM »
And @ladybritches actually did get a notification! She's here! You did it, Eclipse!
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2017

Online Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2017, 09:14:27 AM »
It’s good to have another Carol Berg fan, even if I think the covers of her novels are not to my taste.

Go on post  Ladybritches you know you want too ! Welcome back
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate