December 11, 2017, 07:32:05 AM

Author Topic: Goodreads Choice Awards 2017  (Read 1028 times)

Offline DrNefario

Re: Goodreads Choice Awards 2017
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2017, 10:10:17 PM »
I guess there is a bit of a problem that Oathbringer won't be eligible next year. What a crazy way to organise your deadlines.

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2017, 10:13:04 PM »
I guess there is a bit of a problem that Oathbringer won't be eligible next year. What a crazy way to organise your deadlines.

Goodreads is owned by Amazon, and I heard that those dates might have something to do with Christmas, but don't remember exactly what it was about...
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2017

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Khaleesi
  • Dragon Queen in her own right
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2017, 11:49:58 PM »
Dr Nefario and Lanko you are perfectly right.  Awards are only a useful marketing tool for the publishers, boost in profile for the authors. The fact they are popular speaks for itself though, because they have to be fairly good  to sell so many.

Saw a programme with actual copy writers talking about advertising in Wine Industry last night that is relevant. Some bottle labels are covered in Award medals. The ad guys said, no one reads the actual award, it could say 9th place in Hobbiton Countrywomens' Fete and no one would notice or care. It is purely a snob value catch for buyers by implying good quality.

They explained no way does price = quality in wine buying, especially here where we have multiple vineyards.  The actual taste difference is far less than people pretend, obviously some is rough as guts, (anyone had Kokkinelli in Cyprus?), and some is smoother but not to the vast degree implied. Ageing in old barrels is garbage even though ads love to pretend this happens because it adds supposed  mystique and value. It is nearly all stainless steel vats and automation with lots of different fancy names and cool /artistic/modern labels slapped on.

People will happily buy cheap wine for themselves and enjoy it, but if taking to a party or for sharing with friends they are self conscious about the impression they make and feel obligated to spend more, on the assumption it is better. Wine tasting and all that stuff about aroma of flowers etc is garbage, and 98% of wine buying public have no idea so they rely on price or classy arty labels to choose something that looks good when they serve it up. It was truly interesting and they made it fun but the truth came over well.

What was biggest eye opener was that there actually is an Awards Industry and huge money made setting up lmultiple awards to boost the various industries. 

OK, have diverged a bit from books here,but you can see the relevance. If the cover has an Award sticker attached, or Awards mentioned in promotions same thing applies. Hardback, paperback, e-book or audible all promoted along with covers/titles to attract certain different groups of buyers just like the wine bottle name and label designs. Haven't we seen shelves of hardcovers displayed as being an ultimate library others may notice?

All about money, innit?

BUT despite all this while also being a cynic supremo, knowing it is pure click-bait, I still cannot resist voting in any kind of promotion, because it makes me fool myself into believing my opinion matters. And it is fun.   ;D

“Stories are made up by people who make them up. If they work, they get retold. There's the magic of it.”
 Neil Gaiman, Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2017, 09:55:29 PM »
I remember seeing a thing about Product of the Year. How it essentially seemed to work was that you pay them some money and then they invent a new category for your product to be Product of the Year in, then you use it in your adverts.

I generally like literary awards, though. It's just that the measure of an award is always going to be in the quality of the books it comes up with. If it is doing a decent job of picking up the best in its category, then it's a good award.

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2017, 05:48:05 PM »
Final round is up! And yes, Oathbringer, despite not even having being released, made it. The power of fandom...  ::)

So, who's gonna win? Rowling has a higher rating, but Gaiman has more of them. Place your bets!

https://www.goodreads.com/choiceawards/best-fantasy-books-2017

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2017, 07:14:08 PM »
Oathbringer has been on sale since yesterday @Lanko. I already have it.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2017, 07:35:05 PM »
Rowling won in Fantasy, Andy Weir in SF and Stephen King in Horror.

What a surprise!

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2017, 08:32:40 PM »
Rowling won in Fantasy, Andy Weir in SF and Stephen King in Horror.

What a surprise!
::) exactly
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
In traditional art I see what the artist made. In contemporary/modern art I see myself...

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2017, 08:54:44 PM »
Colour me shocked. Not.
The Traitor God, published by Angry Robot June 2018

http://www.cameronjohnston.net/

Online Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2017, 09:32:05 PM »
Underwhelming, we should do our own and call it the nowaydidthatwinlanko awards or NWDTWL for short.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate