July 27, 2017, 05:44:24 AM

Author Topic: How much did you write today?  (Read 126147 times)

Online S. K. Inkslinger

• Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
    • Booksie Portfolio
Re: How much did you write today?
« Reply #1500 on: July 16, 2017, 04:21:09 AM »
guess who just finished their first draft!?!

*does the happy dance*

Congratulations! How many words is it? What is the story about? Now I'm curious too.  :D *joins in in the happy dance as well*
A literary journal featuring three of my short stories (The Beast of Stone, The Fluttering Heartbeat, and The Creeping Shadows): https://www.amazon.com/Ronin-Express-Literary-Journal/dp/1543115586

Offline m3mnoch

• Writing Contest Regular!!!
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #1501 on: July 16, 2017, 05:39:40 PM »

*does the happy dance*

Congratulations! How many words is it? What is the story about? Now I'm curious too.  :D *joins in in the happy dance as well*

the first draft was just shy of 60k.  but, i'm a severe under-writer, so i suspect it's going to net out at about 90k.  for example, i've already added a thousand words -- and i'm only halfway through editing the first chapter.

as to what it is . . . um . . . gothic-sardonic-ridiculously-escalating-character-driven-grimdark-lite-thriller-with-a-mindblowing-twist-ending?

so, similar in tone to this demon-x story, but written in third-person-close, and in a more sanderson-magic-heavy version of a faction-laden-asoiaf-like setting.

for example, here's a sample of "unedited rough draft" stuff in one of the later fight scenes:
Refocusing, [ONE OF THE 'HEROES'] grunted and brought his fist down on top of the [BADGUY], his arm smashing down through [THAT SAME BADGUY] with bare resistance, and thundered into the stone floor below.  Dividing the man like a crushing portcullis, and nearly carving him in half.

[OUR 'HERO'] pulled his hand from where he'd buried it in the floor.  [THAT POOR BADGUY]'s gore, smeared along the hallway rug, pooled in the indented trough made by [OUR 'HERO']’s forearm.

yeah. 

that's about right.

Online abatch

• Shadow Op
    • View Profile
    • Immortal Treachery
« Reply #1502 on: July 16, 2017, 07:09:16 PM »
I may've said this already, but I shoot for 500 words/day. Been kind of out of it for the past few months, but things are looking up. Made and passed my goal yesterday.

Offline m3mnoch

• Writing Contest Regular!!!
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #1503 on: July 16, 2017, 10:46:03 PM »
I may've said this already, but I shoot for 500 words/day. Been kind of out of it for the past few months, but things are looking up. Made and passed my goal yesterday.

nice.

yeah, my soft-target is 250, my goal is 500, and my celebration mark is 750.

Offline night_wrtr

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: July 18, 2017, 02:49:44 PM »

*does the happy dance*

Happy for you! May revisions be ever in your favor.

the first draft was just shy of 60k.  but, i'm a severe under-writer, so i suspect it's going to net out at about 90k.  for example, i've already added a thousand words -- and i'm only halfway through editing the first chapter.

I wrote about 7k in the last two days. Crazy production for me, but i am getting to the juicy parts. I am now just over 35k into my rough draft.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 02:51:34 PM by night_wrtr »

Offline night_wrtr

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: July 25, 2017, 02:56:13 AM »
Spent a good chunk of time updating my outline. 13 chapters left to write.