April 24, 2018, 04:04:42 AM

Author Topic: Politics and other ailments of the real world  (Read 137917 times)

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
Re: Politics and other ailments of the real world
« Reply #2490 on: December 05, 2017, 03:42:15 PM »
So is that tax bill set in stone now, or are there still ways it can be tripped up? Can the next administration do something about it?

It's possible they will need to redo the vote in the senate, rather than just having the house pass the awful senate bill wholesale, because apparently this happened:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/12/senate-gop-accidentally-killed-all-corporate-tax-deductions.html

But rainbows and unicorns are also nice so clearly none of that is going to happen.  This country has stopped circling the toilet bowl and is now half way down the drain.  Between internet costs w/ net neutrality, rising medical costs, and the stranglehold landowners have on everyone else this country has already become an unlivable and is on its way to pushing much of the country to level of desperation that rival a natural disaster in upcoming decades.

I think my best bet is to go back to Ecuador or some country with subsidized medicine that is affordable and live out my days someplace humane and just watch the US descend into something worse than the third world from a distance.

Interesting to see your perspective on all this, Bradley. I agree the individual mandate sucks, it's just that all of the estimates I've read from those who've studied eliminating it say doing so would hurt even more people, mainly by spiking the ACA rates for those who stay to impossible levels. So it's kind of a "you can hurt some people, or you can hurt EVERYONE" type of deal. I don't know that single-payer will be possible in my lifetime unless all the people brainwashed to fight their own self-interest suddenly get raptured or something.

But I am so with you on wanting out. I'll never leave, sadly (wife has tenure) so I'm stuck in a country with Trumps supporters, people who would rather vote for a pedophile than a Democrat (no, really!) and a huge group who would literally cut their own noses off if they thought it would "hurt the libs". The majority of this country is sane and it doesn't matter because the ignorant majority, voter suppression, and the Fox News/Breitbart propaganda machine is dragging us down. It's like that gif "I don't want to live on this planet anymore" but replace planet with "the United States".

At this point, I just hope my little one survives to college age (and doesn't get shot at her school) so I can convince her to study abroad and hopefully marry someone from a sane country. Once I was fairly certain my child (and possibly grandchildren) wouldn't be randomly shot and have actual healthcare, I'd feel much less stressed about my own chances of getting shot or going medically bankrupt. Weird how your priorities change once you have a kid.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 03:44:21 PM by tebakutis »

Offline Rostum

« Reply #2491 on: December 06, 2017, 11:39:04 PM »
Oh look America just antagonized the middle east again.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42259443

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • Dragon Duchess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: December 06, 2017, 11:56:37 PM »
They can't wait to sell more arms to both sides, can they ?

This made me feel physically sick. One of the worst and most deliberately evil of many bad things Trump has done.
'..all tapes left in a car for more than a fortnight metamorphose into Best of Queen albums....they listened to William Byrd's "We Are the Champions"" and Beethoven's "I Want to Break Free". Neither were as good as Vaughan Williams "Fat-Bottomed Girls".
Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman: Good Omens 1990

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #2493 on: December 07, 2017, 01:19:34 AM »
They can't wait to sell more arms to both sides, can they ?

This made me feel physically sick. One of the worst and most deliberately evil of many bad things Trump has done.

He did this out of spite/desperation. He's hoping to inspire a terrorist attack or (worse) even a war, anything that will allow him to distract us from the Russia investigation and his own recurring stupidity.

I guarantee you as soon as the tension he's intentionally raised blows up (literally) he and Republicans and Fox News will be lockstep on the airwaves demanding "unity" and "supporting our president/troops" ... nevermind that that only applies when the president is a Republican (or in Trump's case, a complete and utter shitbag).

American presidents typically have a higher approval rating after terrorist attacks (and during war time) so for Trump, inciting a large terrorist attack (specifically, a "Muslim" one) and starting a war is his goal at this point.

Offline Lady Ty

• Ta'veren
  • Dragon Duchess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: December 07, 2017, 01:51:04 AM »
War is always the ultimate distraction for a losing ruler. I realise Trump tried hard to stir N Korea into one and it hasn't worked so far. This is his next best, even if it doesn't ignite into ME war, the cruelty, misery and horror this will unleash in Jerusalem is unforgivable, and the worst to suffer will be the children again.
'..all tapes left in a car for more than a fortnight metamorphose into Best of Queen albums....they listened to William Byrd's "We Are the Champions"" and Beethoven's "I Want to Break Free". Neither were as good as Vaughan Williams "Fat-Bottomed Girls".

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #2495 on: December 07, 2017, 10:30:48 AM »
This guy is like some kind of anti-president, from the Opposite Universe. He is just... on the wrong side of everything.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline Rostum

« Reply #2496 on: December 08, 2017, 11:30:53 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-42287429

Jerusalem: Trump's envoy Haley berates 'outrageous UN hostility'
Do I read that as 'tired of Americas default veto and support for war crimes and human rights violations'

Offline Rostum

« Reply #2497 on: December 12, 2017, 11:20:08 AM »
This I was unaware of.

where in the world  would  there is the possibility of electing an alleged peadophile and rapist who happens to be a high court judge and is endorsed by the president?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42314410

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #2498 on: December 12, 2017, 03:12:14 PM »
This I was unaware of.

where in the world  would  there is the possibility of electing an alleged peadophile and rapist who happens to be a high court judge and is endorsed by the president?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42314410

Been following this race closely, and yes, it is precisely that. The Republican party (and our sexual predator in chief) have explicitly endorsed and financially supported a pedophile because, and I quote "It's better than having a Democrat in the seat". To them, another vote for their rich people tax cut is most important.

The truly scary thing? Roy Moore was a shockingly unfit candidate for office BEFORE we found out he was preying on 14 year old girls. The man believes American families were stronger during slavery, and is on record as saying so. He has said we could eliminate every amendment after the 10th and solve "a lot of problems" (the eliminated amendments include allowing women to vote). He is also on record as staying gay people should be put in jail, women shouldn't hold public office, Muslims should be BANNED from public life, and 9/11 was a punishment from God.

Also, as a judge Moore was twice removed from the bench for ethics violations, and was once the lone dissenter in a case involving the rape of a child, arguing the rapist not be punished (he said there was no proof of intent to harm, or something insane).

This is the Republican party today in the United States.

"Better a pedophile than a Democrat".

Today's election will be interesting (and, if Moore wins, as it looks like he likely will, horrifying).

Offline Rostum

« Reply #2499 on: December 12, 2017, 04:24:59 PM »
This is no longer about party politics but about whether you have a society fit for purpose.
Where is the rule of law and why do the people of Alabama never mind the USA tolerate this?

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #2500 on: December 12, 2017, 05:23:53 PM »
It's mind boggling. I thought the Brexit stuff and our inept government were crazy but the US has next level evil. They could legitimately be comic book villains.

Preorders help an author more than you think!
http://www.cameronjohnston.net

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #2501 on: December 12, 2017, 05:51:43 PM »
This is no longer about party politics but about whether you have a society fit for purpose.
Where is the rule of law and why do the people of Alabama never mind the USA tolerate this?

There's main reason Roy Moore is still a valid candidate is the success of right-wing outlets in convincing their viewers any negative news about Republicans is "fake news". There's a large evangelical population in Alabama, and the majority of them don't believe the allegations against Roy Moore have any merit. This is because they genuinely believe all news outlets (save stuff like Breitbart and Fox) are "liberal conspiracies" that serve no other purpose than to falsely accuse "god-fearing" men like Roy Moore. These people also believe the sexual assault allegations against Trump are fake news, or haven't even heard they exist. It's mind-boggling, but Fox News rarely (if ever) reports the allegations, and if you *only* watch Fox News, well...

As to why America is where it is now, it was a combination of years of voter suppression, gerrymandering to ensure Republicans gained majority in both houses, a decade long campaign to convince conservative voters all news was fake save that coming from Fox, and the outdated electoral college (which allowed Trump to win the presidency by a tiny margin in several key states where voter suppression was a large factor, while losing the overall popular vote by 3 million).

Also, there's the fact that many conservatives (especially in Alabama) are one issue voters - all they care about is outlawing abortion. Democrats are pro-choice (as is Moore's opponent, Doug Jones) and that is unforgivable in their eyes. As they see it, putting a pro-life candidate in office supersedes all other concerns, even if that candidate is horribly flawed in other ways (including preying on underage girls).

Offline Rostum

« Reply #2502 on: December 12, 2017, 06:12:41 PM »
Thank You I am learning, if nothing else I am learning more about the dysfunctional psyche of America which can make your thought process so alien from a British point of view despite a shared language.

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #2503 on: December 12, 2017, 11:45:23 PM »
What Tebakutis said, only with way more poison and judgment.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Lady Ty

• Ta'veren
  • Dragon Duchess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: December 13, 2017, 12:02:31 AM »
The wide variety of methods used to suppress and discourage voters leading up to the Alabama election and even more today has truly appalled even this old cynic. Sorry US you have lost any sense of democracy.

There have been issues here with difficulty of actually getting to vote in remote areas, and that needs close future attention.  I am eternally thankful that, bad as some of our politics here may be, we have compulsory voting and no one can ever deny us the right to vote.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 12:04:13 AM by Lady Ty »