December 11, 2017, 07:37:12 AM

Author Topic: Politics and other ailments of the real world  (Read 121288 times)

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
Re: Politics and other ailments of the real world
« Reply #2490 on: December 05, 2017, 03:42:15 PM »
So is that tax bill set in stone now, or are there still ways it can be tripped up? Can the next administration do something about it?

It's possible they will need to redo the vote in the senate, rather than just having the house pass the awful senate bill wholesale, because apparently this happened:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/12/senate-gop-accidentally-killed-all-corporate-tax-deductions.html

But rainbows and unicorns are also nice so clearly none of that is going to happen.  This country has stopped circling the toilet bowl and is now half way down the drain.  Between internet costs w/ net neutrality, rising medical costs, and the stranglehold landowners have on everyone else this country has already become an unlivable and is on its way to pushing much of the country to level of desperation that rival a natural disaster in upcoming decades.

I think my best bet is to go back to Ecuador or some country with subsidized medicine that is affordable and live out my days someplace humane and just watch the US descend into something worse than the third world from a distance.

Interesting to see your perspective on all this, Bradley. I agree the individual mandate sucks, it's just that all of the estimates I've read from those who've studied eliminating it say doing so would hurt even more people, mainly by spiking the ACA rates for those who stay to impossible levels. So it's kind of a "you can hurt some people, or you can hurt EVERYONE" type of deal. I don't know that single-payer will be possible in my lifetime unless all the people brainwashed to fight their own self-interest suddenly get raptured or something.

But I am so with you on wanting out. I'll never leave, sadly (wife has tenure) so I'm stuck in a country with Trumps supporters, people who would rather vote for a pedophile than a Democrat (no, really!) and a huge group who would literally cut their own noses off if they thought it would "hurt the libs". The majority of this country is sane and it doesn't matter because the ignorant majority, voter suppression, and the Fox News/Breitbart propaganda machine is dragging us down. It's like that gif "I don't want to live on this planet anymore" but replace planet with "the United States".

At this point, I just hope my little one survives to college age (and doesn't get shot at her school) so I can convince her to study abroad and hopefully marry someone from a sane country. Once I was fairly certain my child (and possibly grandchildren) wouldn't be randomly shot and have actual healthcare, I'd feel much less stressed about my own chances of getting shot or going medically bankrupt. Weird how your priorities change once you have a kid.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 03:44:21 PM by tebakutis »
T. Eric Bakutis: 2014 Compton Crook Finalist and author of Tales of the Five Provinces

You can read my cyberpunk police procedural Loose Circuit for free at the link!

Offline Rostum

« Reply #2491 on: December 06, 2017, 11:39:04 PM »
Oh look America just antagonized the middle east again.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42259443

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Khaleesi
  • Dragon Queen in her own right
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: December 06, 2017, 11:56:37 PM »
They can't wait to sell more arms to both sides, can they ?

This made me feel physically sick. One of the worst and most deliberately evil of many bad things Trump has done.
“Stories are made up by people who make them up. If they work, they get retold. There's the magic of it.”
 Neil Gaiman, Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #2493 on: December 07, 2017, 01:19:34 AM »
They can't wait to sell more arms to both sides, can they ?

This made me feel physically sick. One of the worst and most deliberately evil of many bad things Trump has done.

He did this out of spite/desperation. He's hoping to inspire a terrorist attack or (worse) even a war, anything that will allow him to distract us from the Russia investigation and his own recurring stupidity.

I guarantee you as soon as the tension he's intentionally raised blows up (literally) he and Republicans and Fox News will be lockstep on the airwaves demanding "unity" and "supporting our president/troops" ... nevermind that that only applies when the president is a Republican (or in Trump's case, a complete and utter shitbag).

American presidents typically have a higher approval rating after terrorist attacks (and during war time) so for Trump, inciting a large terrorist attack (specifically, a "Muslim" one) and starting a war is his goal at this point.
T. Eric Bakutis: 2014 Compton Crook Finalist and author of Tales of the Five Provinces

You can read my cyberpunk police procedural Loose Circuit for free at the link!

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Khaleesi
  • Dragon Queen in her own right
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: December 07, 2017, 01:51:04 AM »
War is always the ultimate distraction for a losing ruler. I realise Trump tried hard to stir N Korea into one and it hasn't worked so far. This is his next best, even if it doesn't ignite into ME war, the cruelty, misery and horror this will unleash in Jerusalem is unforgivable, and the worst to suffer will be the children again.
“Stories are made up by people who make them up. If they work, they get retold. There's the magic of it.”
 Neil Gaiman, Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders

Online Eli_Freysson

« Reply #2495 on: December 07, 2017, 10:30:48 AM »
This guy is like some kind of anti-president, from the Opposite Universe. He is just... on the wrong side of everything.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline Rostum

« Reply #2496 on: December 08, 2017, 11:30:53 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-42287429

Jerusalem: Trump's envoy Haley berates 'outrageous UN hostility'
Do I read that as 'tired of Americas default veto and support for war crimes and human rights violations'