December 15, 2017, 04:34:10 AM

Author Topic: Politics and other ailments of the real world  (Read 122088 times)

Offline Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Kingkiller
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
Re: Politics and other ailments of the real world
« Reply #2460 on: November 24, 2017, 06:45:22 AM »
So we have officially entered "the holidays" a period that has evolved into the most horrific spectacle of the year.

First we gather to be grateful for the bountiful factory-farmed meats from the ecocidal landscape we have built thanks to the genocide our forefathers inflicted on native north americans.   Immediately thereafter we rush off in a crazed fervor to trample each other and save under 5$ on shit we don't need in a mad consumer-frenzy generated entirely by corporate marketing in the guise of celebrating the birth of Baby Jesus. Lines already stretch around the corner.  I went to get a candy bar at the target by my house and the outside is a maze of riot-blockade fences to funnel lines round the concrete architecture of escalators and stairs.  Beyond the DMZ, bug-eyed shoppers with terrifying expression on their face ravage shops filled with people torn from their families to work on a holiday. After this savage display of consumption has lined the pockets of the rich, we gather around in vain attempts at perfection which drive family dysfunction to unimaginable heights to celebrate monotheism. ONce that is over, we take our unwrapped possessions and prepare for New Years, where we go out in gross displays of opulence, paying obscene amounts of money to go to places that were 1/5 the price any other day, so that we can get drunk and either brazenly kiss the one we love in front of those who have no one or desperately seek out someone to pretend to love for the new year... until mid-february where another holiday created by another corporation ensures our obligatory pairings are translated into financial gains once again.

I'll leave my room again when it's all safely over in March to get drunk on St. Patricks.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 06:51:02 AM by Bradley Darewood »

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Builder
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
« Reply #2461 on: November 24, 2017, 08:37:40 AM »
Oh man, I never thought about how screwed you guys are in the US holiday-wise. It's this entire part of the year. Halloween -> Thanksgiving -> Christmas -> New Year's. Here in Sweden, we don't have the first two (sure, kids have begun celebrating Halloween US style, but it's nowhere near the family frenzy of xmas - most people still ignore it).

Thanksgiving does seem to be a special kind of absurd. Every time I watch it play out in some American film I just think; IS THIS MEANT TO BE SATIRICAL? ARE THEY NOT AWARE OF HOW STUPID THIS LOOKS?

The most disturbing part is when they make kids in school act out plays of how the settlers and natives were all best buddies.
You can find stories on my Patreon
I'm also on Twitter and the Book of Faces

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #2462 on: November 24, 2017, 08:42:48 AM »
Prepare a bug-out bag and devise a plan.

If that was directed at me I want to state again that I'm far from any of the rumbling sites. I appreciate the thought though.

I think stressing out over volcanoes just isn't in the national character.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Kingkiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: November 24, 2017, 11:31:03 AM »
Oh man, I never thought about how screwed you guys are in the US holiday-wise. It's this entire part of the year. Halloween -> Thanksgiving -> Christmas -> New Year's. Here in Sweden, we don't have the first two (sure, kids have begun celebrating Halloween US style, but it's nowhere near the family frenzy of xmas - most people still ignore it).

Thanksgiving does seem to be a special kind of absurd. Every time I watch it play out in some American film I just think; IS THIS MEANT TO BE SATIRICAL? ARE THEY NOT AWARE OF HOW STUPID THIS LOOKS?

The most disturbing part is when they make kids in school act out plays of how the settlers and natives were all best buddies.

haha it's particularly awful.  I have to say I love Halloween, and quite a few times I've gone to Thanksgiving pow wow's-- there's a great one in Alcatraz celebrating the American Indian Movement (AIM)'s take over of the island in the 70s to stop the Fed govt from terminating reservations.  But there's different events all over.

To be fair, I spent a really nice day hiking with one friend, then meeting another friend who I haven't seen in a year b/c of his busy sched and newborn and it was really nice hanging with their family.  My family also has enormous gatherings for like 100 cousins, but I don't live near them. 

It doesn't change how disturbingly wrong the holiday is, nor how absolutely horrifying Black Friday is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZOTo1K_Kp0
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 11:34:54 AM by Bradley Darewood »

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #2464 on: November 24, 2017, 02:28:24 PM »
Prepare a bug-out bag and devise a plan.

If that was directed at me I want to state again that I'm far from any of the rumbling sites. I appreciate the thought though.

I think stressing out over volcanoes just isn't in the national character.
I feel you my friend. But preparing a bag with essentials and having a plan are logical and reasonable steps for anyone, and are anything but a sign of stressing out. Just makes good sense. I have four bags prepared: a small case with four people's passports, birth certificates and social security cards, our "deeds" (house, cars), an atlas, and a paper contact list; two gym bags with first aid supplies in one, handheld radios in the other; and a bag of ammunition for my firearms. I can toss my sons and wife in a car and be gone in 15 minutes and have everything we need, long term and short term. I am not worried or stressed, it's just that when things happen, people look to me and I don't want to let them down.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Rostum

« Reply #2465 on: November 25, 2017, 12:04:14 AM »
8 years ago due to flooding I wound up with no electrics for a few days and no water and internet for two weeks.
Not the emergency I had planned for but then it rarely is. Having a plan was a big help even if most of it wasn't implemented. While this was an inconvenience and not a real emergency I now have 250L of water storage space available and water butts for grey water usage should I ever need them. Asking yourself what happens if... and preparing from your thoughts does no harm at all.

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Khaleesi
  • Dragon Queen in her own right
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: November 26, 2017, 01:08:54 AM »
Because of bushfires and floods we get reminders about emergency kits every year.

When Canberra had the firestorm I had a bag ready in my car for weeks. It wasn't as inclusive as this useful list but more personal things to save if the house burned, but not taking up too much space you would need for people.

I still keep a very basic bag handy every summer.

“Stories are made up by people who make them up. If they work, they get retold. There's the magic of it.”
 Neil Gaiman, Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders

Offline Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Kingkiller
    • View Profile

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
In traditional art I see what the artist made. In contemporary/modern art I see myself...

Offline Rostum

« Reply #2470 on: November 30, 2017, 12:07:17 PM »
Your idiot in chief has found twitter again. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42176507 Perhaps our PM will now grow a spine and realize that sociopaths don't have friends.

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #2471 on: November 30, 2017, 03:07:01 PM »
Your idiot in chief has found twitter again. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42176507 Perhaps our PM will now grow a spine and realize that sociopaths don't have friends.

Speculation is he's particularly off the rails because there's some revelation coming in the Russia collusion investigation.

My personal thought is he's just a ****ing moron.
T. Eric Bakutis: 2014 Compton Crook Finalist and author of Tales of the Five Provinces

You can read my cyberpunk police procedural Loose Circuit for free at the link!

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #2472 on: November 30, 2017, 04:53:40 PM »

Speculation is he's particularly off the rails because there's some revelation coming in the Russia collusion investigation.

I'm seeing professional people honestly suggest that he's dealing with some kind of mental decay.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Kingkiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: December 01, 2017, 12:10:32 AM »

I'm seeing professional people honestly suggest that he's dealing with some kind of mental decay.

Wait, there was something in there *to* decay?

Offline Rostum