December 17, 2017, 04:09:40 AM

Author Topic: Politics and other ailments of the real world  (Read 122562 times)

Offline RobertS

• Builder
  • Personal Text, isn't that a bit personal?
    • View Profile
    • robertdavidstrawn.com
Re: Politics and other ailments of the real world
« Reply #2445 on: November 16, 2017, 06:10:12 AM »
I swear to god we live in an alternate universe where a Biff from Back to the Future becomes President and Cards Against Humanity rises up to stop him using kickstarter.  I don't even know how to process the absurdity that is America at this moment.  Thought I do know what to buy @tebakutis for christmas...

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/59yaw3/cards-against-humanity-bought-border-land-to-screw-with-trumps-wall-plans-vgtrn

https://www.cardsagainsthumanitysavesamerica.com/

My theory is that we don't live in the main timeline. Travelers who switch between dimensions know to quickly get out of ours. We don't have zeppelins and that is a clear sign of inevitable doom.
I would rather look stupid today than be stupid tomorrow.

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #2446 on: November 16, 2017, 03:33:35 PM »
I swear to god we live in an alternate universe where a Biff from Back to the Future becomes President and Cards Against Humanity rises up to stop him using kickstarter.  I don't even know how to process the absurdity that is America at this moment.  Thought I do know what to buy @tebakutis for christmas...

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/59yaw3/cards-against-humanity-bought-border-land-to-screw-with-trumps-wall-plans-vgtrn

https://www.cardsagainsthumanitysavesamerica.com/

My theory is that we don't live in the main timeline. Travelers who switch between dimensions know to quickly get out of ours. We don't have zeppelins and that is a clear sign of inevitable doom.

Haha, I did see someone say that the reason the current timeline is so crazy is because we are currently stuck in a battle between two opposing groups of time travelers who keep coming back and trying to alter history against each other.
T. Eric Bakutis: 2014 Compton Crook Finalist and author of Tales of the Five Provinces

You can read my cyberpunk police procedural Loose Circuit for free at the link!

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #2447 on: November 16, 2017, 04:17:38 PM »
On a more positive note, doctors are now making the first attempt at curing a man's congenital illness through gene editing. We're entering an exciting era in medical advancements.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/11/15/health/first-in-body-edit-dna/index.html
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline RobertS

• Builder
  • Personal Text, isn't that a bit personal?
    • View Profile
    • robertdavidstrawn.com
« Reply #2448 on: November 16, 2017, 06:13:34 PM »
On a more positive note, doctors are now making the first attempt at curing a man's congenital illness through gene editing. We're entering an exciting era in medical advancements.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/11/15/health/first-in-body-edit-dna/index.html

If we want the species to continue, first we have to master and get the bugs out of parthenogenisis before we can cure man's congenital illness. :)
I would rather look stupid today than be stupid tomorrow.

Offline NightWrite

• Writing Group
  • Half a King
  • The mind loves to race at night.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2449 on: November 18, 2017, 12:51:02 AM »
So the US Fish & Wildlife Service recently lifted the ban which prevented returning hunters from bringing African Elephant corpses to the US. Now so long as they're legally killed (I'd love to know how they think they can monitor the legality of every kill) the body can be brought back as a trophy. The entire thing makes me want to pull my hair out.

I'm trying to wrap my head around how they think this is going to help the conservation effort of an endangered species like they said it would. They said it will help encourage locals to put revenue back into conservation, but the Humane Society International commissioned a study that showed many African countries affected by this account less than 1% from trophy hunting to their overall tourism revenue. Even if it brought in 10% or more, how is trading in the lives of some elephants for sport going to help the species come back. The gestation period takes almost two years for an elephant and it's rare for them to have more than one calf at a time. It's not like they're mice who have the potential to pop out multiple litters of 6-8 babies each year.

The administration will probably claim the HSI study is biased propaganda, but they lifted the ban after secret meetings with a pro-hunting group, Safari Club International. Even without the SCI meetings, I question their motives as at least one picture of Donald Trump Jr. on a big game elephant hunt, with the severed tail of an elephant, has emerged with various articles and news segments discussing the policy change.

I can't see any aspect of the whole thing which actually helps the elephants.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 01:24:30 AM by NightWrite »

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Khaleesi
  • Dragon Queen in her own right
    • View Profile
« Reply #2450 on: November 18, 2017, 05:21:56 AM »
Cross your fingers @Night Write this news has just come out

Trump halts decision to allow elephant trophy imports
“Stories are made up by people who make them up. If they work, they get retold. There's the magic of it.”
 Neil Gaiman, Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders

Offline NightWrite

• Writing Group
  • Half a King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: November 18, 2017, 02:07:15 PM »
It's given many hope, myself included, but with the nature of the current administration I'm unsure how it will end. Hopefully the president decides not to let the lift of the ban occur.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #2452 on: November 18, 2017, 02:13:18 PM »
Do not mistake this as a move that will save any elephants from being shot the ban is simply about importing carcasses into the states. Rich trophy hunters will continue to shoot and will still not be legally able to bring their kills home. Many of these people have houses in the countries they shoot in. If you disagree do not support the businesses that allow them to do this find out who they are, who they work for and boycott the firms.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 02:26:47 PM by Rostum »

Offline NightWrite

• Writing Group
  • Half a King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: November 18, 2017, 07:51:02 PM »
Do not mistake this as a move that will save any elephants from being shot the ban is simply about importing carcasses into the states. Rich trophy hunters will continue to shoot and will still not be legally able to bring their kills home. Many of these people have houses in the countries they shoot in. If you disagree do not support the businesses that allow them to do this find out who they are, who they work for and boycott the firms.
I know the ban won't stop all of them, especially those who hunt elephants illegally. It's my hope, however, that the ban acts as a deterrent enough to stop at least one person from trophy hunting them. I know its not realistic and probably nothing but false hope, but I can't stop myself from feeling it even as I move towards more realistic goals.

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #2454 on: November 20, 2017, 09:27:41 AM »
With America's Nazi situation and the visibility of their ilk in the West lately, I thought people might appreciate this:

http://www.cracked.com/article_25121_7-everyday-heroes-who-mercilessly-trolled-racist-morons.html

Also, in positive news: Charles Mason has died.

Online Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Kingkiller
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #2455 on: November 20, 2017, 10:03:25 AM »
So apparently many years ago my good friend's current husband (then boyfriend) starred in this video about his website "cheat-neutral.com" to find market-based solutions for cheating on your gf.  (Spoiler: It's also about carbon offsets and climate change)

I found it wildly entertaining, esp the BBC clips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3_CYdYDDpk

Offline Rostum

« Reply #2456 on: November 20, 2017, 02:43:46 PM »
Amazed how few realized this is a piss take. There again I have always amazed how few realize that carbon trading is a scam.

Any system which defines a flight as the greenest form of travel was broken before it began.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 02:52:13 PM by Rostum »

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #2457 on: November 22, 2017, 07:02:37 PM »
Okay, this cracked me up. It's long, but worth it to the end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0uvmD8CSxs&feature=share

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #2458 on: November 23, 2017, 06:40:08 PM »
A few days ago I mentioned on this forum that several Icelandic volcanoes are showing signs of activity.

It turns out that several decades of glaciers gradually receding has relieved pressure on volcanic sites, and magma has an easier time pushing up to the surface. So we could be entering an era of generally increased volcanic activity in Iceland.

Öræfajökull is the big concern at the moment. It has erupted twice since Iceland was settled; in the 14th and 18th centuries. The 14th century eruption was apparently a particularly apocalyptic one. Plans are being made to evacuate surrounding farms if/when it does erupt.

So, yeah.

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #2459 on: November 24, 2017, 03:17:45 AM »
I have been contemplating this phenomenon for the past several years, but your situation is much more specific and potentially immediate. The shift of so much weight across such vast areas must introduce instantaneous (in geological terms) stress-changes. I think we'll see a lot more earthquakes as this realignment of formerly static forces continues and a lot more volcanism.
Prepare a bug-out bag and devise a plan.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell