November 21, 2017, 07:21:43 PM

Author Topic: Politics and other ailments of the real world  (Read 117722 times)

Offline Jmack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
Re: Politics and other ailments of the real world
« Reply #2430 on: November 09, 2017, 12:06:32 PM »
@Bradley Darewood, I was on a cruise once to the Caribbean, and I also cruised in Greece when things were really topsy-turvy over there. What those people really need to do is [urk, strangling sounds, omg he’s lost it, is this death? This mild not-so-frightening thing? Why, yes]
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline RobertS

• Builder
  • Personal Text, isn't that a bit personal?
    • View Profile
    • robertdavidstrawn.com
« Reply #2431 on: November 09, 2017, 01:15:37 PM »
The difference between Republicans and Democrats is pretty clear in this video where Representative DelBene is asking questions about the new tax plan. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZwlNcnkFwY

The difference between him and her is not the difference I mean, but it is a clear one. The difference I mean is that no one on the Republican side would ask a single one of those questions or care.
I would rather look stupid today than be stupid tomorrow.

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #2432 on: November 09, 2017, 10:44:19 PM »
Okay, is anyone else just a bit shocked at what an utterly wretched hive Hollywood continues to be revealed as?

This is starting to remind me of that South Park episode where it dawns on Father Maxi that he's the only Catholic priest in the world who isn't in on the molestation thing.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 10:50:33 PM by Eli_Freysson »
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline Bradley Darewood

• Brandon Darewoodson
  • Writing Group
  • Kingkiller
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #2433 on: November 10, 2017, 12:28:39 PM »
nope, not shocked at all.

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #2434 on: November 10, 2017, 01:19:28 PM »
nope, not shocked at all.

I mean, I knew it had a seedy underbelly, but it's starting to feel more like an overbelly.

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Builder
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
« Reply #2435 on: November 10, 2017, 03:38:34 PM »
No shock here, either. I'm all woke, these days, and that includes having been clued in to the immensity of male privilege. Someone pretty much has to point right at it for you to see it, but once the coin lands, you start seeing it everywhere. And it breaks your image of the world.

I'm glad shit is finally happening. It's bothered me for years and I've mostly felt helpless to do anything (though I've tried -- an uphill battle in the communities I've been a part of). I can't begin to imagine what it's been like for well... all women, everywhere, to carry this every day of their lives.

The weaker sex, my ass.
You can find stories on my Patreon
I'm also on Twitter and the Book of Faces

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #2436 on: November 13, 2017, 11:15:24 PM »
Is anyone else anxious about global warming? I have heard people talk about and make predictions of doom my entire life. It has always been this cloud hanging over the human race. And now the experts are saying it is becoming truly irreversible. The sea will rise and extreme weather will become more common.

I really don't want to wallow in negativity, but the human race has sleepwalked into this situation, hasn't it? We want foreign goods, speedy and convenient travel, and various comforts we westerners have told ourselves are natural to have. And the world's second biggest polluter is currently led by a confused man-child who denies anything is wrong, and is supported by idiots who believe the worldwide scientific community is in on some evil liberal conspiracy to... to... something?

I expect to live at least 50 years more, and it seems I'll get to see some really terrible travails as things go to hell and the rising sea levels will cause an utterly unprecedented refugee situation and unspeakable costs. And when the next generation asks "why?" there won't be any rational answer.

Is anything actually being done? Something more than novelty experiments that aren't practical on a large scale? Because unless someone is building giant ice machines to put on the poles I don't see how we're going to get out of this.

Online ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2437 on: November 14, 2017, 03:27:03 AM »
Yeah, it's worrying :-\
Portugal has been in a state of drought for months, no consistent rain in sight - and that is just near-ish to home. We don't hear about the situation in multiple other countries as that's now considered normal and not newsworthy...

I try to do my bit, but it's not going to be enough...
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
In traditional art I see what the artist made. In contemporary/modern art I see myself...

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #2438 on: November 14, 2017, 06:49:33 PM »
Did you read the article I posted a few pages earlier? Looks as if we're really f*cked and every year is crucial now to prevent the worst...
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline shadowkat678

« Reply #2439 on: November 14, 2017, 08:43:02 PM »
I'm hoping those over in some of the European countries will do what we here in the USA won't, and keep with the clean energy thing. The amount of people brainwashed into thinking clean energy is actually worse than fossil fuels? Horrifying.
Be not a writer, but a Storyweaver. For that, my friend, is how you'll truly leave your mark.

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #2440 on: November 14, 2017, 09:22:46 PM »
I'm hoping those over in some of the European countries will do what we here in the USA won't, and keep with the clean energy thing. The amount of people brainwashed into thinking clean energy is actually worse than fossil fuels? Horrifying.

Anybody who has read any of ginormous thread knows how passionate/worried I am about global warming, especially now that we've elected a president (in the US) who denies science, and appointed a bunch of science deniers to help him deny science. These people are determined to screw over my child and grandchild so they can make a little more money in the now. Under the direction of Trump and his administration, we've scrubbed climate change data from our official websites, we're considering eliminating tax credits to clean energy (like wind and solar) because it's outperforming coal, and Trump in particular continues to lie to coal miners that their coal jobs will come back "any day now".

However, I have hope. I've mentioned this before, but greed may save us. In the US, we are already past the point where coal is the least expensive fuel. Natural gas is far cheaper (yes, it has its downsides, but it's still better than coal) and wind and solar are growing in popularity as costs go down. Basically, "clean power" is already cheaper, more efficient, and creating jobs, and no matter the asinine rhetoric of 45 and his ilk, US companies will do what makes them the most profit. Ultimately, coal isn't good for their bottom line, so while they may have funded denial in the past, we're now at the point where endorsing denial costs them money.

While many companies (like Exxon and other fossil fuel companies) previously found it more cost expedient to fund a few scientists to lie about climate change (and, by doing so, convince low information Trump voters climate change is a hoax) it's now more profitable to acknowledge climate change and work toward clean energy. Exxon has even changed their official policy to admit climate change is occurring, is being accelerated by man, and does need to be addressed. They realized it'll cost them more down the road as sea levels rise and their offshore oil drilling (and other businesses) take more and more damage from storms.

In the US, many companies and even whole cities are already chasing clean energy solutions because of the profit and job creation incentives alone. This, of course, doesn't mean we shouldn't kick climate change deniers out of our government as soon as we can, or that their actions are any less despicable. It just means that their denial and intentional erasure of existing research won't affect the US as much as it would if the profit motive wasn't there for companies to take these steps on their own.

So while greed is part of the reason the US has such a climate denial problem in the first place, it may also be the thing that helps us work our way out of it.
T. Eric Bakutis: 2014 Compton Crook Finalist and author of Tales of the Five Provinces

You can read my cyberpunk police procedural Loose Circuit for free at the link!

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Khaleesi
  • Dragon Queen in her own right
    • View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: November 14, 2017, 11:12:49 PM »
It took so so long but today at last

“Stories are made up by people who make them up. If they work, they get retold. There's the magic of it.”
 Neil Gaiman, Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #2442 on: November 15, 2017, 12:26:59 AM »
It took so so long but today at last

I saw that! Very happy for you folks.
T. Eric Bakutis: 2014 Compton Crook Finalist and author of Tales of the Five Provinces

You can read my cyberpunk police procedural Loose Circuit for free at the link!

Online ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2443 on: November 15, 2017, 09:10:18 AM »
Yay for Australia :D :D
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 09:34:38 AM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
In traditional art I see what the artist made. In contemporary/modern art I see myself...

Offline Bradley Darewood

• Brandon Darewoodson
  • Writing Group
  • Kingkiller
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #2444 on: November 16, 2017, 03:08:03 AM »
I swear to god we live in an alternate universe where a Biff from Back to the Future becomes President and Cards Against Humanity rises up to stop him using kickstarter.  I don't even know how to process the absurdity that is America at this moment.  Thought I do know what to buy @tebakutis for christmas...

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/59yaw3/cards-against-humanity-bought-border-land-to-screw-with-trumps-wall-plans-vgtrn

https://www.cardsagainsthumanitysavesamerica.com/