November 21, 2017, 07:17:24 PM

Author Topic: Politics and other ailments of the real world  (Read 117721 times)

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Builder
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
Re: Politics and other ailments of the real world
« Reply #2355 on: October 17, 2017, 08:42:42 AM »
I believe change is happening as we speak, but that it's going to take a long time before the world sees any major effects of it. There are still several generations of young men who have been (and are being) raised in a culture that simply accepts that powerful men 'misbehave' like it's an inevitable cost of success (which is absolutely ridiculous, of course).

But we have to speak up, too (and by we, I mean men who aren't assholes). We need to talk to our male friends, make them aware of how common this is and how it stems in our broken idea of what a man is supposed to be. Macho culture tells us to go get anything we want (including women, who are considered prizes). It tells us we have to be tough all the time and that failure or any display of emotions (except for anger) means you are weak. It's an impossible ideal and the perfect setup for harassment of women and 'weak' men. It also sets us up for serious mental instabilty and potentially lasting psychological harm.

(And I'm looking for reasons here, not excuses. I believe shifting our culture away from being deeply rooted in gender is part of the solution, but I'm not saying any of this to shift the blame away from the perpetrators of sexual harassment or assualt).
You can find stories on my Patreon
I'm also on Twitter and the Book of Faces

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Online ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2357 on: October 17, 2017, 12:21:05 PM »
I just found out, another 2-3 days of fires in Portugal, with 36 people dying this time :'(
I hate these 'fire-setters' with a passion >:( >:(

And the government was stupid too! On the 1st of October they called out that "fire season" is over and cut the available firemen and other resources in half! But everyone could see that the country was still super hot, in a draught situation, so the probability of fires was as big in October as it was in September - there was even warnings from the Met Office!

The whole northern half was basically on fire, with almost 600 active fires!

At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
In traditional art I see what the artist made. In contemporary/modern art I see myself...

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #2358 on: October 17, 2017, 02:12:58 PM »
Wait, these are arsonists at work??
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Online ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2359 on: October 17, 2017, 05:37:25 PM »
Most of them yes. They have to be. It's not normal to have so many fires, regardless of the weather >:(
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
In traditional art I see what the artist made. In contemporary/modern art I see myself...

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #2360 on: October 17, 2017, 05:40:26 PM »
Most of them yes. They have to be. It's not normal to have so many fires, regardless of the weather >:(

Jesus, I thought these were related to dry weather.

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #2361 on: October 17, 2017, 07:17:53 PM »
Unrelated to any of today's discussions. I just found it darkly funny because this method of mail delivery seems halfway plausible given how ****ed up US attitudes are toward militarization of things, like the recently revived (by Trump) push of selling surplus military equipment to our already trigger-happy police.

SPECIAL DELIVERY!!!

T. Eric Bakutis: 2014 Compton Crook Finalist and author of Tales of the Five Provinces

You can read my cyberpunk police procedural Loose Circuit for free at the link!

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #2362 on: October 18, 2017, 12:12:30 AM »
SPECIAL DELIVERY!!!

I instantly remembered of Henry from FE:Awakening on skill/crit triggering  ::)  Don't ask me why, it just did.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2017

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #2363 on: October 18, 2017, 02:29:38 PM »
Minutes before she received the casket, Donald Trump told a dead American soldier's widow over the phone that "he knew what he was getting into". According to a witness he said it multiple times, and just talked and talked without ever expressing any actual compassion. He also used John Kelly's dead son in a throwaway political line, to take a shot at Obama.

"As far as other presidents, I don't know, you could ask Gen. Kelly, did he get a call from Obama? I don't know what Obama's policy was."

I have accepted that the man is a complete sociopath, but I continue to be amazed at his inability to understand how people are supposed to act. Ted Bundy was able to project charm. Trump seems to have some kind of social disability, unable to even FAKE behaviour by observing it.

This is literally sickening. I actually feel sick.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 02:54:21 PM by Eli_Freysson »

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: October 18, 2017, 04:54:07 PM »
You can't put every psycho on the same scale. Bundy and Trump don't have the same type of disorder. Projecting an aura of charm and charisma that is atoms-thin to cover an empty shell of a personality, with psychopathic attitudes and total objectification of people goes a long way for a killer like Bundy.
Trump has delusions of grandeur and narcissistic perversion for sure, with maybe even some dementia thrown on top, as his less and less rational discourses tend to hint at.
There are plenty of personality disorders, and even among simple psychopaths, not all are as intelligent or good at hiding themselves.

What worries me enormously is the recent deregulation of radiation limits, multiplying 10x what obama put in place and negating a load of research.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #2365 on: October 18, 2017, 06:31:01 PM »
The sad thing is, I'm beyond shock and outrage at anything Trump does. At this point, I'm numb to it. I don't have the necessary words to adequately express what a terrible person our current POTUS is. I'm just anxiously waiting (and hoping) that Republicans can either pass or fail to pass tax reform. I feel like the only reason they haven't moved forward with impeachment is they need him around to get tax cuts for their rich friends (or feel they need to use him as cover). If that effort fails, Trump is gone, finally.

It infuriates me that Republicans would leave such an imbalanced lunatic in power (and risk him staring WW III) in hopes of using him as political cover while they gut Medicaid and pass huge tax cuts for rich people, but I think that's their plan. Do the unpopular stuff, then impeach Trump and blame it all on him. Their supporters will eat that up and completely forget who screwed them over.

But yeah, I'm beyond outrage at this point. Trump is a ****head. I'm not surprised by anything that ****head does anymore. I'm just waiting for it to be over.
T. Eric Bakutis: 2014 Compton Crook Finalist and author of Tales of the Five Provinces

You can read my cyberpunk police procedural Loose Circuit for free at the link!

Offline Magnus Hedén

• Builder
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
« Reply #2366 on: October 19, 2017, 09:08:51 AM »
I've worked in psychiatry with some of its toughest customers, the criminally insane. Trump's behaviour is exactly like that of someone with a narcissistic personality disorder. I used to think it was all a clever act of demagoguery. I don't anymore. He's certainly a tool to act as a distraction while the Republican party guts America, but I believe he is who we see. I've met people just like him.

He will never, ever, admit to having done something wrong because, in his conscious mind, that simply isn't possible. Therefore, the blame must lie elsewhere. If there's no blame to pass, the memory is changed, and anyone pointing out what actually happened is a liar. There is no length his mind won't go to when it comes to constructing a reality for him where everything he does is brilliant. He believes it. And that's just an observation, not an excuse for his behaviour. The people I met who were as bad as him were locked up because their behaviour had become a threat to public safety.

The fact that he still holds office means that American democracy is broken.

Offline Eli_Freysson

« Reply #2367 on: October 19, 2017, 11:14:06 AM »
Thanks for the professional viewpoint on this, @Magnus Hedén. Yes, this is all very, very sick.

EDIT. I want to add:

He will never, ever, admit to having done something wrong because, in his conscious mind, that simply isn't possible. Therefore, the blame must lie elsewhere. If there's no blame to pass, the memory is changed, and anyone pointing out what actually happened is a liar. There is no length his mind won't go to when it comes to constructing a reality for him where everything he does is brilliant. He believes it.

If he actually believes everything that comes out of his own mouth, that certainly would explain why he lashes out so much, and why Trump's world is cleanly divided into people that are like him and who say nice things about him, and the Bad Guys. Would it be accurate to say that emotionally people like this are basically toddlers?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 12:35:39 PM by Eli_Freysson »

Offline Magnus Hedén

• Builder
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
« Reply #2368 on: October 19, 2017, 01:44:12 PM »
No. The fact that his mental maturity, and indeed, capacity, appears quite low is entirely separate. I've met full-blown narcissists heaps more sophisticated than him. They can be tremendously scary if they have the mental acuity to better cover their tracks. Especially if they are also socially apt, and not blundering fools. As bad as he is, be very grateful he's not one of them.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: October 19, 2017, 02:00:00 PM »
No. The fact that his mental maturity, and indeed, capacity, appears quite low is entirely separate. I've met full-blown narcissists heaps more sophisticated than him. They can be tremendously scary if they have the mental acuity to better cover their tracks. Especially if they are also socially apt, and not blundering fools. As bad as he is, be very grateful he's not one of them.

Yes. That's basically my dad.
He's a very charismatic narcicistic pervert. He will manipulate, steal and guilt trip you, and whenever you try to defend yourself, act wounded and pretend you're a sick, manipulative person. If you don't keep written track of what comes out of his mouth he may well make you believe you're crazy.
And after I ran away from home, I had the surreal experience of talking to some of my cousins—men my dad's age, while I'm close to their sons, my cousins germains as we say—about my family life and experience of my dad's behaviour, and they could not recognise the man I spoke of. To them he was that genial, friendly, loving family man.
To me he was an abusive man, sometimes violent, definitely never caring. Surreal. And this normally works because those perverts divide their world so much. They totally isolate their victims.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty