December 11, 2017, 07:33:13 AM

Author Topic: Politics and other ailments of the real world  (Read 121286 times)

Offline Jmack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
Politics and other ailments of the real world
« on: September 22, 2015, 01:52:14 PM »
Wow. Between the English Prime Minister's piggish behavior and Volkswagen's cynical stupidity, not a great week for the Euros. Of course, Donald Trump still leads in polls for the Republican Party's Presidential candidate, so we're not in too great a shape over here in U.S.land.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Rostum

Re: Politics and other ailments of the real world
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 02:15:55 PM »
Shouted at for Politics in 3-2-1....

We expect no less from our Dave if you are referring to university antics. I would be more concerned about the wholesale destruction of the welfare state to ensure his mates can still turn a profit.

VW a well known 'European' firm gets caught. when Mercedes were caught doing the same the they just posted a tax loss due to the fines and everything carried on as normal.

Trump is great entertainment from here but slightly scarier than half a dozen other potentials at the moment
I guess if you are potential going to saddled with him in charge of anything. If I could I would vote for anyone in your circus it would be McAffee.
Just remember the definition of an honest senator is one who stays bought.

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 02:24:56 PM »
Wow. Between the English Prime Minister's piggish behavior and Volkswagen's cynical stupidity, not a great week for the Euros. Of course, Donald Trump still leads in polls for the Republican Party's Presidential candidate, so we're not in too great a shape over here in U.S.land.

I'd be more worried at what Hungary is currently doing in regards to the refugee crisis. I don't like to bring WW2 into conversations to make comparisons because it is easy and often misused, but I'll be damned if giving the armed forces the power to search civilian houses (without a warrant) in order to see if they're hiding illegal refugees doesn't make anyone think of other persecuted minorities in the past.
"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline night_wrtr

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 02:28:49 PM »
Donald Trump still leads in polls for the Republican Party's Presidential candidate, so we're not in too great a shape over here in U.S.land.

[politics]This scares me, and I don't scare easy. I really can't comprehend how he has gathered so much support after the things he says.[/politics]

Offline Hedin

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 02:41:16 PM »

I'd be more worried at what Hungary is currently doing in regards to the refugee crisis. I don't like to bring WW2 into conversations to make comparisons because it is easy and often misused, but I'll be damned if giving the armed forces the power to search civilian houses (without a warrant) in order to see if they're hiding illegal refugees doesn't make anyone think of other persecuted minorities in the past.

What I don't get about the whole refugee thing is where is the UN?  Why aren't they setting up camps with proper shelter, food, and medical care and helping get everyone processed efficiently?  Isn't this the type of thing the UN should be involved in and if they're not getting involved what purpose does it have? 

Offline Jmack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 02:43:43 PM »
Donald Trump still leads in polls for the Republican Party's Presidential candidate, so we're not in too great a shape over here in U.S.land.

[politics]This scares me, and I don't scare easy. I really can't comprehend how he has gathered so much support after the things he says.[/politics]

Totally love the [politics] marker! Will use this forever on the Forum.  ;D
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 03:21:57 PM »

[politics]
Spoiler for Hiden:
fox news, human monoculture, stupidity -- lots of reasons.

in those deeply red states, i saw a thing about lifetime mobility and how 90+% of the people living in places like mississippi were born there and have only ever lived there.  their ideas of the outside world are exactly what they see on fox news and scary neocon websites.  i saw something yesterday that 66% of trump supporters still believe obama is muslim.

my family has been subject to some of that deep brainwashing.  my step-mother's sister was telling me yesterday about how she was pissed about the pledge of allegiance was pulled from schools and how SHE WANTED IT BACK!!  i, of course, asked her where she thinks it went and informed her about how i live in hippie southern california, have a 7 year-old and an 11 year-old in public elementary school, and how they still say the pledge.  and about how 45 of the 50 states have laws requiring the pledge and the rest have required some sort of 'patriotic exercise'.  she (who is 60+ years old with no kids in college, much less in grade schools) dismissed what i said because 'children come home and say they're not allowed to say the pledge!'  i just gave up.  for them, the plural of anecdote is data.

brain.  washed.

edit:
i don't want to seem all doom and gloom tho -- this is all actually a good thing.

so, sort of the inside baseball view of it:

what's happened is the brainwashing has kicked off the self-reinforcing, crazy-spiral.  the brainwashers have lost control now and the crazies have taken over.  the best thing for american politics would be if trump won the republican nomination because the 1/3 of voters who are independent won't vote for him -- he will get destroyed in a general election.  the republican leaders are panicking and trying to get him to sign an agreement that he won't run if he doesn't win the primary.  he won't.  this means, the conservative vote will be split between him and whomever wins the primary -- which means someone sane like bernie sanders will coast into the white house.

political observers are saying these fox news brainwashing decades we've had could ultimately mean the end of the republican party as we know it.  it's hard not to believe them when you look at the popularity within the republican base of crazy, non-general-election candidates like trump, ted cruz, and ben carson.  none of them will be able to get even 35% of the general election vote.

[/politics]
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 03:36:37 PM by m3mnoch »

Offline Jmack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 03:23:52 PM »
OK, this is an amazing quote:

the plural of anecdote is data

@m3mnoch, if you came up with that yourself, I'm in awe.  ;D  If you're repeating an apt quote in a perfect context, I'm still impressed.  8)

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 03:38:23 PM »
OK, this is an amazing quote:

the plural of anecdote is data

@m3mnoch, if you came up with that yourself, I'm in awe.  ;D  If you're repeating an apt quote in a perfect context, I'm still impressed.  8)

heh.  i wish.  it's a nerd industry saying.  for example, when you sell games to the general public, you learn to look at data and not what your most hard-core players are saying on the forums.

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 03:38:32 PM »

Do you want the technical evidence and theories, or the truth that m3mnoch pointed out?
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline Rostum

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2015, 03:45:52 PM »
Ildiko whom I share a cube with is Transylvanian Romanian which means she has Hungarian nationality (Joe Stalin still has a lot to answer for).
She has been showing me clips from the Hungarian border where crowds of people were running across the road in front of stopped traffic. Hundreds if not thousands at a time.

I quite agree with Hedin camps should be set up and the chaos controlled, Hungary actually has space to do this.
Nobody should be living in a refugee camp in Europe but to check on their health, document and move them along to where there heading in a controlled fashion cuts the criminals exploiting people to get them across borders and hopefully stops people being suffocated or frozen to death in lorries.

what no one seems to be addressing is this is not ever going to end and will bring changes to Europe that may not be as welcome after the first influx of refugees. Nobody has a clue who is where atm.
Hungary has a population of 10 million. A million added to that number will overwhelm schools hospitals and force down pay and unemployment up in the long run. It is a very fragile country in terms of economy and population, and bleeds it's best and brightest to jobs in wealthier countries in Europe.
Even without any cultural or religious friction life will change for Hungarians.

BTW from the little I know of working there for the most part the Hungarians are less insular and more tolerant than the English they also have had some hard times in living memory and keen to keep what they have.
I don't see this ending well, A political shift to the right will be the start of it.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 05:17:55 PM by Rostum »

Offline night_wrtr

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 04:58:53 PM »

Do you want the technical evidence and theories, or the truth that m3mnoch pointed out?

m3mnoch's post summed it up nicely I think!   :D

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2015, 10:21:47 PM »

From my side of the fence, it's like this. One, people like him because he's, for the most part, a successful business man. Two, he's not a politician. Three fourths of the nation don't trust the government, which is why him and the woman(I can't spell her name) have a good shot at winning. A lot of people who wouldn't normally be voting will be if those two or Carson wins the Republican nomination. Three, a lot of democrats have said they're not planning on voting for either Clinton or Sanders. Clinton's just... Well, Benghazi(if that's how you spell it). She may be kicked out of the race by the FBI soon. Also, from what I can tell, the majority of Americans who have studied the Iran treaty think it's bs. No democrats are against that at the moment. And four, all the media talks about is Trump. Trump did this, then he did that. Then he said this. People who know nothing about politics are quite aware of what he stands for. Now, to some, that's what makes it easy to mock him. But even by doing that, they're still talking about Trump. No other candidate has that publicity as of now.
As for comments about Fox brainwashing, let's be honest. If it's not Fox, it's CNN or any other media outlet. No one gives the pure hard facts anymore. There's an opinion attached to everything. Each station wants to sway you to their line of thinking, so they're only going to show you what's needed. I'm pretty sure most of us have heard the expression, there's three sides to every story. The news is a prime example. It all just depends on what you hear. No matter which side someone stands on, the extremists are going to stand out. That's in politics, religion, race... Everything. So, I think instead of saying Fox or CNN or whatever news you watch is brainwashing, just go with every one of them is. And, instead of looking at just one news source, look at all of them, even the ones that you think aren't credible. If you don't believe something, look it up. That doesn't mean you'll get the truth. Truth is a rare thing these days. But perhaps, by putting both sides together, it's possible to discover what's actually going on.
I know I'm late to the conversation, but I felt I needed to say that. The quotations were just to give an introduction to the topic, not to call anyone out on something they said. Sorry for the rant, if that's what you want to call it.

Offline Jmack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2015, 12:21:37 AM »
It's all good, @ultamentkiller, and your comments sound right on a number of points. (And may be on others as well, but hey I'm not gonna roll over on everything.  ;) )

I'm the one who introduced politics, and I wouldn't do it if I didn't think we're all the right kind of folks to allow for a range of opinions and repsect all around.

Offline Jmack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2015, 12:11:06 PM »
Hmmmm.... other ailments of the real world.

I suggest a bracket-style competition with nominations and everything.  ;D
You can nominate general topics, specific people, your corner fast food joint, or mosquitos. Really, anything that fits IYO.

A whole new think to chew over, but safely squirreled away over here.

NO, WAIT! It's not safely squirreled away. It will show up on the most recent posts way of viewing forum.
Hmmmmm.... maybe not such a good idea?  ;)