November 22, 2017, 10:41:41 AM

Author Topic: The Fifth Season by N. K. Jemisin Discussion - ***SPOILERS***  (Read 2391 times)

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Khaleesi
  • Dragon Queen in her own right
    • View Profile
Re: The Fifth Season by N. K. Jemisin Discussion - ***SPOILERS***
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2017, 03:38:10 AM »
Thank you Lanko, I do want to continue and glad to hear not too much more cruelty to children. Ordinary destruction of human race I can accept . ;D
“Stories are made up by people who make them up. If they work, they get retold. There's the magic of it.”
 Neil Gaiman, Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2017, 05:26:19 AM »
Takes it off my Tbr pile
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2017, 08:58:22 AM »
Thank you Lanko, I do want to continue and glad to hear not too much more cruelty to children. Ordinary destruction of human race I can accept . ;D
Definitely, you should continue because that's not the tone for the entire book :)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
In traditional art I see what the artist made. In contemporary/modern art I see myself...

Offline DrNefario

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2017, 01:12:46 PM »
I'd say stop, myself. It's not like it turns into a happy book. It's powerful partly because of its darkness, but if that's not working for you then maybe read something else.

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2017, 10:40:28 PM »
The book - and the series - definitely does not shy away from the darknesses and horrors of its setting. It's a hard time, and people are being people and making it harder. The systematic oppression of orogenes - and the terrible methods used - is a major underpinning of the plot, though I would probably say it relies more on thorough consideration of a few examples - the hand being a major one - than repeated examples.

Personally, reading it as I did with a few-month-old baby in my lap, the filicide - and the continual remembering of, reacting to, processing of - was the hardest part for me. But all of these acts of horrible violence are given full weight, full impact on plot and character, full consideration and repercussion. That, for me, made it easier to deal with it all: because I saw the characters dealing with it too, it wasn't just a thing that happens for plot reasons and everyone carries on. Those aspects give the story its power, especially as, to my mind, the series turns toward hope at the end. It's grim, but it isn't grimdark.

Definitely your call, Ty. It's certainly not light or escapist.

Offline Lady Ty

• Khaleesi
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2017, 11:45:52 PM »
Thank you cupiscent, for your comments, they too have encouraged me to continue reading what sounds a worthwhile book. I realised from the beginning with Essun's trauma that this was going to be a difficult to handle, but the way in which that was written impressed me with the insight. Can imagine how hard it was for you at that particular time. I am now more inclined to carry on having being forewarned and know although some cruelty will happen it is not continual.

My reluctance to read violence, especially directed towards children is not in any way a denial, but more the fact that its actuality stays with me.

“Stories are made up by people who make them up. If they work, they get retold. There's the magic of it.”

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Builder
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2017, 07:47:27 AM »
This trilogy was some of the best reading I've had in years (and I've had a lot of good reading). I hiccuped briefly on the second person bit, but to be perfectly honest she writes so well, I just assumed there was a good reason. And there was.

And the payoff for finishing the series is amazing. Both the narrative and the setting are works of art. I hope she hat-tricks the Hugo.
You can find stories on my Patreon
I'm also on Twitter and the Book of Faces

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2017, 06:03:57 PM »
Personally, reading it as I did with a few-month-old baby in my lap, the filicide - and the continual remembering of, reacting to, processing of - was the hardest part for me. But all of these acts of horrible violence are given full weight, full impact on plot and character, full consideration and repercussion. That, for me, made it easier to deal with it all: because I saw the characters dealing with it too, it wasn't just a thing that happens for plot reasons and everyone carries on. Those aspects give the story its power, especially as, to my mind, the series turns toward hope at the end. It's grim, but it isn't grimdark.
Exactly this. I can't abide reading about cruelty against children and have abandoned series because of this. And while it wasn't easy here (having a 1-2 year old boy myself), she made it bearable because it had the significance and impact it deserved.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Lady Ty

• Khaleesi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2017, 07:03:36 AM »
Thanks to all who advised me to keep reading. This was a genuinely compelling and memorable book despite being necessarily harsh. Once past the two worst parts I went on listening most of the weekend whatever I was doing. So many clever and unusual ideas, still marvel at the writer's skill and imagination.  Smiled at one point as it reminded me of the Ulgos long ago in The Belgariad, but in a far advanced form here.  ;)

I have The Obelisk Gate ready to follow, as luckily it was an audible bargain not long ago, so will be following on fairly soon.

Offline Lady Ty

• Khaleesi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2017, 02:51:22 AM »
Double post but guess what I read today  :o

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2017, 04:56:30 AM »
Well... the world does seems to be ending, so maybe it's a sign?  ::)
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2017

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2017, 07:35:57 AM »
 :o Stone eater egg. Totally.