April 26, 2018, 03:02:05 AM

Author Topic: Eurovision Song Contest 2015; 2016; 2017, 2018  (Read 12919 times)

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • Dragon Duchess
    • View Profile
Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2015; 2016; 2017
« Reply #165 on: May 13, 2017, 11:47:30 PM »
ScarletBea and Saraband you must be so happy and proud with well deserved win , huge congratulations on your song, your singer and his sister, that last performance was magical.

Thank you AAV and SB for being lovely company. this evening/morning  ;D ;D
'..all tapes left in a car for more than a fortnight metamorphose into Best of Queen albums....they listened to William Byrd's "We Are the Champions"" and Beethoven's "I Want to Break Free". Neither were as good as Vaughan Williams "Fat-Bottomed Girls".
Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman: Good Omens 1990

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Only partially responsible for my custom title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 13, 2017, 11:49:08 PM »
The duet with his sister was a nice touch.

But now its over and I'm going to go to bed.  :P

Thank you, ladies, for watching and commenting together with me!  :)
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 13, 2017, 11:55:57 PM »
My Facebook is exploding, everyone is going crazy back in Portugal!

Nice touch to finish as a duet with his sister, I just wish he hadn't started his speech by criticizing the shallowness of Eurovision music - I mean, it's bloody Eurovision, not need to get self-important all of a sudden  ::)

Still, I'm happy - it has been a 53-years long wait for us  :)
"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 14, 2017, 12:05:30 AM »
Henry, why did you say Belgium's was dull? I'm really enjoying it!
Can't speak for Henry, but she didn't quite pull it off in the semi-final: Way better this time.

Funny, I thought Belgium was better in the semi-final clip I saw than in the final. Still, it was one of my favorites.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 14, 2017, 10:09:16 AM »
Henry, why did you say Belgium's was dull? I'm really enjoying it!
Can't speak for Henry, but she didn't quite pull it off in the semi-final: Way better this time.

Funny, I thought Belgium was better in the semi-final clip I saw than in the final. Still, it was one of my favorites.
Hmm? I don't know... maybe I was just having a bad day when I watched the 1st semi-final, because I though the quality of songs/performances over all was very poor in it.
https://d.gr-assets.com/hostedimages/1380222758ra/241132.gif
But anyway, while the Belgian song wasn't bad, I feel it didn't really do justice to the singer's interesting voice. Same with Germany too, kind of.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 10:11:03 AM by ArcaneArtsVelho »
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 14, 2017, 11:16:13 AM »
I simply didn't like the Belgian entry. She didn't give me any emotion or anything as opposed to the other entries. It was just one of those one in a dozen songs with little memorability.

Anyway, grats to Portugal who won very deserved!

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #171 on: April 14, 2018, 09:25:30 PM »
@Lady Ty and all the other fans, this is the next book you must read:

Cat Valente's Space Opera.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Lady Ty

• Ta'veren
  • Dragon Duchess
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 15, 2018, 01:35:34 AM »
@Lady Ty and all the other fans, this is the next book you must read:

Cat Valente's Space Opera.

How dare she steal a story I have had in my mind for years?? But great, must read.  ;D

That time is coming round again calling @ArcaneArtsVelho , hoping we have a date. ;D

There is possibility I will have house full of family  at the finals time and that means one person sleeping in room where TV is. Hmmm as I try to be there at 5.00am this will need work. Also because I have TV on very very loud may have to negotiate w rest of household and supply ear plugs. Hope I make it. Will check the date and what is happening here, it has crept up on me.

'..all tapes left in a car for more than a fortnight metamorphose into Best of Queen albums....they listened to William Byrd's "We Are the Champions"" and Beethoven's "I Want to Break Free". Neither were as good as Vaughan Williams "Fat-Bottomed Girls".

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Valheru
    • View Profile
Re: Eurovision Song Contest 2015; 2016; 2017, 2018
« Reply #173 on: April 15, 2018, 10:14:41 AM »
That time is coming round again calling @ArcaneArtsVelho , hoping we have a date. ;D
Well, it's still almost a month away, so plans can change, but I'll try to be here.  :)

Offline ScarletBea

• Cruise Director, Positive Invisible Fighter, and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #174 on: April 15, 2018, 10:37:52 AM »
Well, it's still almost a month away, so plans can change, but I'll try to be here.  :)
I return from Portugal the previous weekend, so I'll sort of escape the madness - although looking at the current news, there will still be plenty 2 weeks earlier ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Also called Ashorvaed, in the Immortal Language of Henry Dale!

Offline Lady Ty

• Ta'veren
  • Dragon Duchess
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 16, 2018, 01:15:12 AM »
I return from Portugal the previous weekend, so I'll sort of escape the madness - although looking at the current news, there will still be plenty 2 weeks earlier ;D

Is this the first time it is in Portugal, ScarletBea?  I am happy for their win last year look forward to seeing the Portuguese take on the whole show, more specially because of you and Saraband. ;)

Offline ScarletBea

• Cruise Director, Positive Invisible Fighter, and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #176 on: April 16, 2018, 08:05:39 AM »
Is this the first time it is in Portugal, ScarletBea?  I am happy for their win last year look forward to seeing the Portuguese take on the whole show, more specially because of you and Saraband. ;)
Yes, first time ever!
And I don't know whether to be flattered or scared by your comment :o ;D don't you think, @Saraband?

*remembers the time, back in the early 80s, when I, plus my sister and friends, dressed up and copied the 'girl band' portuguese entry to the Eurovision* ::)
"It's time we steered by the stars, not by the lights of each passing ship" (general O.N. Bradley)

Offline Lady Ty

• Ta'veren
  • Dragon Duchess
    • View Profile
Re: Where's the Intellegence?
« Reply #177 on: April 16, 2018, 09:20:24 AM »
^ It was a good thought,  because I don’t know anything much about Portugal, except what you see on travel programmes and that is touristy. Hoping we’ll get more about the country and the real people in the lead up programmes to the finals.  You two are great examples of a happy people, so want to see more of your homeland. Even though @Saraband is probably wearing a kilt and eating haggis with neeps and tatties by now. :D

So sorry in wrong thread again and can’t copy paste. Please would a kind mod move it to Eurovision thread?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 09:22:37 AM by Lady Ty »

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #178 on: April 16, 2018, 11:13:24 AM »
So sorry in wrong thread again and can’t copy paste. Please would a kind mod move it to Eurovision thread?
Done!

Even though @Saraband is probably wearing a kilt and eating haggis with neeps and tatties by now. :D
What a great image ;D
I think he'd look FAB in a kilt...

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 16, 2018, 05:06:37 PM »
You two are great examples of a happy people, so want to see more of your homeland. Even though @Saraband is probably wearing a kilt and eating haggis with neeps and tatties by now. :D

Haha you're very right about that ;D We will only get our first kilts for our wedding (we want to get some really good ones made, that will hopefully last us a lifetime), but we've rapidly become very Scottish in our day to day habits and routines, including a disturbing appreciation for Irn Bru and all kinds of deep-fried battered foods :P

I hope Eurovision does a good job of showing off Portugal - I'll probably only watch it for Graham Norton's live commentary though ;D
"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns