December 12, 2017, 08:33:27 AM

Author Topic: Depression, Struggles and Light at the End of Every Tunnel  (Read 114063 times)

Online ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: Depression, Struggles and Light at the End of Every Tunnel
« Reply #1995 on: November 17, 2017, 10:17:45 PM »
Today was my first full day in my new house.
One year ago today I had my last chemo treatment.
What a difference a year makes... :)
Yes, it took a LOT longer than I expected to feel 'normal' again, but I got there (basically, hehe  someone give me my sleep back!).

Don't ever let anyone say cancer=death sentence 8)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
In traditional art I see what the artist made. In contemporary/modern art I see myself...

Offline Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Kingkiller
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #1996 on: November 17, 2017, 11:04:21 PM »

Congrats!!!!

Moving is no small task (and then there's the whole cancer thing)
I'm glad you made it to the other side of the tunnel-- that's the kinda story that gives other people hope.  All the gifs i searched for the occasion felt cheap, so just take this virtual hug of congratulations w/o images :)

Online Eli_Freysson

« Reply #1997 on: November 17, 2017, 11:19:57 PM »
Congratulations, Bea. On everything.

I took part in my second presentation to the ninth graders yesterday. And today started quite well, with me passing a test I half expected to fail at. It... didn't end as well, as I locked myself out of my apartment in the evening. But my old stepdad came by and drilled the lock open, and replaced it with one he'd had in his junk pile of odds and ends for more than twenty years. So I now have a new policy of keeping extra house keys in the glove department.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #1998 on: November 18, 2017, 04:55:35 AM »
Ms. Scarlet, I am so happy you've moved on, literally and figuratively. I'm sure in no time your place will become a new home.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Kingkiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: November 21, 2017, 04:33:16 AM »

Restraining Order hearing against my stalker tomorrow at 8am.... errrrrrrr.... wish me luck!

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #2000 on: November 21, 2017, 07:10:58 AM »
ScarletBea, that is a huge and happy thing! I'm so glad you came through that terrifying time and are moving onwards to great things.

Best of luck with the restraining order, Bradley. Ick, sounds horrible.

Offline NightWrite

• Writing Group
  • Half a King
  • The mind loves to race at night.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: November 21, 2017, 09:49:15 PM »
Good luck Bradley.

So apparently recipe failures can bring me into good spirits. I've been feel a bit down the past day or so, so I decided to make some vegan butterscotch pudding from scratch as butterscotch pudding was my favorite growing up. This was the first time I'd tried the recipe and I tasted it just a moment ago. I can't stop laughing over the fact I've ended up with coffee flavored pudding instead, despite no coffee added.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 09:53:03 PM by NightWrite »

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Khaleesi
  • Dragon Queen in her own right
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: November 21, 2017, 11:31:03 PM »
Good Luck, Bradley, hope this is finally effective.

NightWrite I'd actually prefer Coffee flavour to Butterscotch although they are both pretty yum. C 8) Congrats hope the coffee gave you a lift anyway.
“Stories are made up by people who make them up. If they work, they get retold. There's the magic of it.”
 Neil Gaiman, Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders

Offline NightWrite

• Writing Group
  • Half a King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: November 22, 2017, 03:55:07 PM »
I enjoyed it, despite the fact I couldn't get it to thicken up. I can't tell if it's because I used almond cashew milk with pea protein instead of just almond milk, or because I didn't cook it in the beginning long enough.

Online Eli_Freysson

« Reply #2004 on: November 23, 2017, 10:08:49 AM »
I just got back from giving a lecture to a group of parents of autistic kids. It went over quite well, and one dude shook my hand and said I'd given him a much better insight into his eight year old son. The idea was also aired to arrange something more, involving me talking to autistic teenagers, AND for me to give a lecture to some town employees whose function I don't quite know how to translate.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Online ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2005 on: November 23, 2017, 12:36:26 PM »
I just got back from giving a lecture to a group of parents of autistic kids. It went over quite well, and one dude shook my hand and said I'd given him a much better insight into his eight year old son. The idea was also aired to arrange something more, involving me talking to autistic teenagers, AND for me to give a lecture to some town employees whose function I don't quite know how to translate.
This is fab, well done you!

(and I'm not sure what butterscotch is/tastes like...)
In traditional art I see what the artist made. In contemporary/modern art I see myself...

Offline NightWrite

• Writing Group
  • Half a King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: November 23, 2017, 02:51:53 PM »
This is fab, well done you!

(and I'm not sure what butterscotch is/tastes like...)
Indeed, congratulations on your lecture going over well.

Butterscotch is a hard candy whose primary ingredients are butter and sugar. I've heard people say it's similar to toffee but not cooked as hot if that helps. It seems its flavor is hard for me to describe as I keep wanting to say "butterscotch tastes like butterscotch" which doesn't help at all.

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #2007 on: November 23, 2017, 06:33:14 PM »
I think that's accurate: sweet butter. Part of the hard candy's allure is its creamy texture as it melts in your mouth. It is similar to toffee that has a buttery component, but without the bitter aspects of chocolate or coffee.
Definitely worth looking into - butterscotch candy, pudding, etc. goes well with almost anything: coffee and chocolate flavors. It's a "gentle" flavor, without the edge that mint has, or the pungent aromas of fruity flavors. There is no bitter element and it is among the most soothing flavors there is, in my opinion, but not as jazzy as the others.
The closest thing to butterscotch has to be caramel, which is essentially cooked sugar with a  little bit of butter? Anyway, take that and add way more butter, and bam! Butterscotch!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 06:35:41 PM by The Gem Cutter »
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Online ScarletBea

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2008 on: November 26, 2017, 10:42:15 AM »

Restraining Order hearing against my stalker tomorrow at 8am.... errrrrrrr.... wish me luck!
@Bradley Darewood, what happened in the end?

Offline Bradley Darewood

• aka Barley Redwood
  • Writing Group
  • Kingkiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: November 26, 2017, 11:48:45 AM »

@Bradley Darewood, what happened in the end?

There was a lawyer there. Continued until Dec 15.  The opposing lawyer wants to meet with me and negotiate something called a non-CLETS.  If we don't agree on the non-CLETS we just have the restraining order trial on the 15th. I need to find a lawyer to help me figure out what that is.  So moooore stress.