September 21, 2017, 06:30:45 PM

Author Topic: CYBERNETIC TRANSHUMANS VS AN ADVANCED GENE MANIPULATING CIVILIZATION.  (Read 89 times)

Offline Newway12

Suppose humans developed into two post human subspecies.

1. Cybernetic based transhumans: they are the wealthy 1 percent that survived the singularity by merging with machines thus becoming pretty much inseparable from their tech to the point that they are no longer biological in nature.

2. Gene manipulators: the poorer classes of society that lacked the resources to buy all the advance tech based augmentation, and thus have to resort to relatively cheaper forms of aguementation gene doping and outright gene editing to survive.

One is the ultimate merging of man and machine while the other could eventually become the ultimate biological life form which combines the best attributes of every creature that has ever existed on this planet.

What kinds of cultures would arise from each subset and which ones would survive a conflict between the two?

Offline Bradley Darewood

• Brandon Darewoodson
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
Re: CYBERNETIC TRANSHUMANS VS AN ADVANCED GENE MANIPULATING CIVILIZATION.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2017, 06:01:18 AM »
THIS SOUNDS A LOT LIKE THE MENTATS VS. THE BENE GESSERIT IN DUNE EVEN THO THEY SORT OF WOVE IN AND OUT OF VARIOUS CULTURES INSTEAD OF EXISTING IN SOME SORT OF CONTAINED WAY. (I FEEL LIKE THIS THREAD SHOULD BE IN ALL CAPS TO MATCH THE TITLE BECAUSE I NEVER GET TO TYPE IN CAPITALS AND IT'S FUN.)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 09:35:41 AM »
WHY IS EVERYONE YELLING?! ANYWAY I AGREE WITH BRADLEY. THE BENE GESSERIT WERE PRETTY CREEPY TOO. VAGUELY REMINISCENT OF THE CRAZY SPACE AGE OF THE INCAL. BEST FRENCH COMIC EVER. TO READ ALONG OF LA CASTE DES METABARONS.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Bradley Darewood

• Brandon Darewoodson
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Bradley Darewood on Tumblr!
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 09:44:07 AM »
WE SURVIVED THE SINGULARITY BUT IT MIGHT HAVE EFFECTED OUR HEARING. OR MAYBE OUR MECHANICAL PARTS ARE JUST LOUD SO WE NEED TO SPEAK OVER THEM.

I ACTUALLY REALLY LIKE THIS CONCEPT-- I LIKE THE IDEA OF WORKING CLASS CONFLICT INTO IT TOO.  VERY CLEVER @Newway12

« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 09:45:50 AM by Bradley Darewood »

Offline Jmack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Elderling
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 11:51:13 AM »
I FIND IT HARD TO THINK ABOUT THESE DEVELOPMENTS AS SIMETHING THAT WILL ACTUALLY HAPPEN. ESPECIALLY THE LOSS OF HEARING FROM ALL THIS YELLING  ;D

BUT SERIOUSLY, THERE'S SOMETHING VERY THREATENING TO ME IN THE IDEAS THAT MAKES ME NOT EVEN WANT TO ENGAGE.

WHICH SORT OF MEANS I SHOULD. (starts thinking about stories)
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 12:22:20 PM »
AH YES, THAT ILLUSTRATION IS ALSO FROM THE INCAL. THE INCAL ROOOCKS. I WANNA RE-READ IT NOW!

BUT METABARONS ARE RAD :

AND THEY ALL HAVE ENHANCEMENTS AS WELL.

"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty