November 21, 2017, 07:10:08 PM

Poll

Who should play Fatty Bolger in the new Amazon LOTR series?

Ricky Gervais
0 (0%)
Kit Harrington
1 (100%)
James Corden
0 (0%)
David Tennant
0 (0%)
Jmack
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

Author Topic: Peter Jackson to film new Middle Earth film  (Read 3891 times)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
Re: Peter Jackson to film new Middle Earth film
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2015, 09:09:30 AM »
Eheheheheeee...

The alternate Hobbit story.

http://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/agvd9KW_460sv.mp4
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Jmack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2015, 11:17:49 AM »
Lol
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2017, 06:51:55 AM »
Just seen that Amazon are now making a multi series Lord of the Rings TV show based on ideas from Tolkien's writings not used in the film.  :o  Never going to joke again ...
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Khaleesi
  • Dragon Queen in her own right
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2017, 07:06:10 AM »
Just seen that Amazon are now making a multi series Lord of the Rings TV show based on ideas from Tolkien's writings not used in the film.  :o  Never going to joke again ...

I suppose there is now a new generation coming up who have not seen or read LoTR, but there are a multitude of new excellent books that could have been chosen instead.   ::)
“Stories are made up by people who make them up. If they work, they get retold. There's the magic of it.”
 Neil Gaiman, Fragile Things: Short Fictions and Wonders

Online CameronJohnston

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2017, 07:52:16 AM »
It's all just ugh and sigh everywhere I look. Nobody seems to want a LoTR series and I certainly don't either. I would much rather see something new.
Welcome, Watchers of illusion, to the castle of confusion.
Spellcasting: W.I.N.E
http://www.cameronjohnston.net/

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2017, 08:47:56 AM »
It's all just ugh and sigh everywhere I look. Nobody seems to want a LoTR series and I certainly don't either. I would much rather see something new.

*sigh* I also agreed that the series seemed to be a bad idea. Adaptations these days are not entirely encouraging of the fact, and a LOTR reboot doesn't sound necessary at all.

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2017, 09:34:59 AM »
I mean, it's not like they condensed the original story to a 3h film! If you watch the long versions of the PJ trilogy, it lasts already as many hours as your average BBC mini series like Pride and Prejudice. Adding 3h worth of enchanted woods, poetry and Tom Bonbadil is not gonna make it better.
The original novel has a pretty slow pacing, with definitely unnecessary passages that you can read through but would be harder to put up with on TV.
They can probably make something half decent... but where? Film back in Nz? Do everything on a green screen?!?
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Online Eli_Freysson

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2017, 09:55:57 AM »
Wow. I can't wait for more slapstick and Legolas.  ::)
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Online Peat

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2017, 07:13:47 PM »

Permit me to upgrade your ugh and sigh to a projectile vomit.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Ray McCarthy

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2017, 08:00:20 PM »
It can only go badly for readers and fans of JRRT, even if it goes OK for Amazon's profits.

What is it with all these companies that they are so cowardly that they will neither commission material specially (can work best) nor do suitable "good" authors / books never done before? They are parasites.

Pathetic. Well, I suppose I don't have to watch it.

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2017, 08:39:02 PM »
Cowardly and unimaginative are the right words. So many other series that would make a great Amazon adaptation. The Elderlings would be incredible. Especially when after season 3 they carry on with an entirely new cast for a series about talking ships. First Law would be fantastic and would scratch The Game of Thrones sex and violence itch. Mistborn would have awesome stunts. Bas Lag would be weird and visual. Earthsea would have had a diverse cast. BUT no lets stick with a known brand that will get guaranteed views. Do they stick with the white male dominated world of Tolkien or do they diversify? Is it good v evil again or will it be shades of grey with sex and violence and at that point is it still Lord of the Rings? And who plays Fatty Bolger?
The Real Powers That Be

Offline ultamentkiller

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2017, 01:48:43 AM »
Is Amazon even doing well with original streaming content? Based on this and another thing I heard about them not being able to work with some mainstream channels, this feels like a desperate attempt.