November 21, 2017, 07:14:58 PM

Author Topic: Fantasy-Faction Writing Group  (Read 17926 times)

Offline Yora

Re: Fantasy-Faction Writing Group
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2015, 09:23:58 PM »
Spoiler for Hiden:
;)
Spriggan's Den

There is nothing to read!

Offline Jmack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2015, 09:59:42 PM »
Spoiler for Hiden:
;)
Now that's funny.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2015, 10:44:35 PM »
I've sent Overlord a message about this, and one of us will be back with some final decisions on how to go about setting this up. :) Promise, we'll post an update and get this rolling soon.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2015, 01:13:50 AM »
Well crap. Sorry guys and gals, I had some things come up. Not really an important announcement other than I was going to cite who had followed up with me in wanting to do this (for sure), and then perhaps lay out a collective idea (and some more that popped up) for Overlord's sake rather than a lengthy PM.

Spoiler for List of People:
Yora
Jmacyk
Raptori*
Justan Henner
jefGoelz
cupiscent*
Skip
Cameron Johnston
j2starshine*
Carter
AineCole
M. G. Boronha
Ryan Mueller
Captain of the Guard
Rukaio Alter
JRTroughton
silvijanus
Doctor Chill
Overlord

*Written down as a maybe. Probably be best to save them for the second round. A follow up might be necessary, rather by PM when it's starting up or saying in this thread. But please hurry if you're a maybe to say what you want to do in clear terms. ;)

Current roll-call is at 15 people, so we can do three groups of 5. If one more person signs-up before the creation, we can do four groups of 4. I'd like that more, quite frankly.

Moving on. I think the general consensus is a 3 month period cycle, with every other week a participant uploading a new chapter or piece for critique in their respective circle. That will go upwards to six pieces uploaded in one cycle. Of course, if someone can do more than bi-weekly, they're more than welcome to say so and find others that can do that, but at the moment, this is the quota we'll set.

As for deciding on who will be in each group, I have a better theory than last time: There will of course be an introduction thread to, well, introduce one another and form a sense of community. Knowing and understanding your fellow writers is key to making this work. It can be a babble thread after that for all I care. Anyway, after introductions are set, it'd be best to post our first piece, chapter, what-have-you in the main board. To get a sense of how each person writes, see where they're at, and possibly explain what they're most looking for in the group. Also if they go bi-weekly or weekly. For example, I'll be posting my 2 page prologue that's already been through multiple drafts, detailing that while the first five or six chapters have already been vetted, I'm looking for general critique right now, and that I can do bi-weekly. Of course, all this can change as time goes on, but let's hope not.

We will assign each person to critique a piece, so everyone gets at least one critique. You are more than welcome to critique other people's, but we'll be setting a cap at three critiques. That's not to say you still can't read their's and like it/dislike it. This is to make sure we all relatively like what we're critiquing and know beforehand what we're getting ourselves into. After that, everybody will PM Overlord, Arry, or myself (probably best to not be myself) a list of five people they'd like to be with and two they'd rather not work with for whatever reason. List in the greatest to least, with 1 being the person you really, really want to work with, and 5 being the least, etc. Then one of us three will set you into groups best we can. Don't worry; I won't release enemies' names to the public. ;)

Then you can decide names or whatever. I'm probably forgetting something, so please, feel free to call me out on what we all decided on. It's been a long day.  :)

I'd love to start it up this weekend or sometime next week, namely because I'm OCD and would love to begin the cycle on March 1. Will that happen? Probably not, but until then, bring me or Arry or Overlord your questions. Hopefully he'll see this and make adjustments accordingly. (And everybody else unnamed as well. *Hands the marker elsewhere. This is getting tiring.*)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 02:08:44 PM by Doctor Chill »
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline Jmack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2015, 04:14:59 AM »
Sounds like a plan to me, JC.  I'm partial to the idea of five in the group in case we lose one for any reason, but I can go four as well.  Thanks for carrying the marker to this point.  It's a heavy burden, and your fingers get black, but someone's gotta do it.

@Overlord, or @Arry, I think one of you has the dry erase marker now  ;)
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline silvijanus

« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2015, 12:47:42 PM »
I'm interested to join also. Only one note, English is not my native language so there might be some rough parts and grammar errors here and there.

Offline Jmack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2015, 01:02:42 PM »
I'm interested to join also. Only one note, English is not my native language so there might be some rough parts and grammar errors here and there.
We would be ruthless grammarians*

*Probably not true  ;D

Offline silvijanus

« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2015, 01:12:48 PM »
Remarks will be appreciated, point of working writing groups is to get better I guess. I'm just saying, if there is a true grammar nazi who gets nervous breakdowns upon such mistakes, oh just don't put us in the same group... for his or her health. :D
It probably wont be so bad but I had to mention it (English not my native language) before you form groups.

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2015, 02:10:24 PM »
Remarks will be appreciated, point of working writing groups is to get better I guess. I'm just saying, if there is a true grammar nazi who gets nervous breakdowns upon such mistakes, oh just don't put us in the same group... for his or her health. :D
It probably wont be so bad but I had to mention it (English not my native language) before you form groups.

I wouldn't worry about it. As you said, writing groups are about improving your grasp of the English language, so any help is better than none.

I'll put you down, which means we currently have 3 groups of 5, and only need one more person for 4 groups of 4.
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline Yora

« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2015, 02:42:34 PM »
I am already having an idea which I've started to outline.
Spriggan's Den

There is nothing to read!

Offline Overlord

« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2015, 06:06:39 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys - coming up with a way to do this now. Will probably involve a new section and mod and such, I will put up a post where you will all be able (and most welcome) to apply once I get it all sorted.

Again, thank you so much for all the ideas - this is going to be awesome!!!!
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2015, 04:26:21 PM »
Alrighty writerly people. Is this something people are still interested in? If so, we can start the process of setting up groups and creating a space within the forum for it.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Rukaio_Alter

• Writing Contest Regular and Ineffectual Comic Relief
  • Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2015, 04:41:49 PM »
Yeah, I'm still interested.
5 Times Winner of the Forum Writing Contest who Totally Hasn't Let it All go to his Head.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Also, <Insert GOD EMPEROR OF THE WRITING CONTEST joke here>

Offline Jmack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2015, 05:17:00 PM »
I'm in.

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2015, 05:26:31 PM »
Yup. :)
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.